PDA

View Full Version : Self Defense Products Input

Eliot
06-17-2010, 08:31 PM
We currently run a "be prepared" website and am looking to expand our stun gun and taser lines to some other brands. Does anyone have any input on good brands/models to carry?

Thanks in advance,
Eliot

crashdive123
06-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Eliot - Welcome to the forum. I edited the link in your post, as it violates forum rules. There may be some that can offer up some advice for you - I've got a couple of stun devices, but since I have not used them can't give you a review.

How about dropping by the Introduction section and telling us a bit about yourself. Thanks. http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Batch
06-17-2010, 11:12 PM
Eliot, Stun guns and pepper spray are not replacements for situational awareness. IMHO

I didn't see where you said what you carried. Maybe we can recommend a spray if we know what you use...

Old GI
06-18-2010, 09:15 AM
Bride carries a stun gun disguised as a cell phone. Works in training, but, fortunately, not used in an actual situation.

Sarge47
06-18-2010, 10:28 AM
We currently run a "be prepared" website and am looking to expand our stun gun and taser lines to some other brands. Does anyone have any input on good brands/models to carry?

Thanks in advance,
Eliot

**************** (http://****************)
That's simply "shocking." :innocent: :sneaky2: :cool2:

BENESSE
06-18-2010, 11:25 AM
I've come across some good teaser lines.

Rick
06-18-2010, 12:11 PM
I knew it!!!!

BENESSE
06-18-2010, 12:13 PM
I knew it!!!!

Took the words right out of your mouth. :)

rudyumans
06-19-2010, 11:23 AM
I kind of have the same question. I carry a small pocketsize pepper spray (14 grams)made by Sabre in my camera bag. Is that any good or just a waste? I read somewhere that wasp spray would be better to use because you can spray that from a distance and you don't have to be up close. If so, do that make small pocket size wasp sprays? I don't not want to make it obvious that I carry it.

crashdive123
06-19-2010, 12:05 PM
I kind of have the same question. I carry a small pocketsize pepper spray (14 grams)made by Sabre in my camera bag. Is that any good or just a waste? I read somewhere that wasp spray would be better to use because you can spray that from a distance and you don't have to be up close. If so, do that make small pocket size wasp sprays? I don't not want to make it obvious that I carry it.

Wasp spray cans are very large compared to most pepper sprays. There is also a question about your liability in using it as a self defense device. (Somebody breaks into your house while you are killing wasps and all bets are off) Pepper spray is designed to disable an attacker and give you the chance to extricate yourself from the situation. Wasp spray is not, and violates several federal laws regarding the use of pesticides. For pepper sprays - my advice is buy a few different brands and try them to see how far they actually spray. Do not spray them "into" the wind or you will also find out how irritating they can be. Once you know what it can do, you will be better prepared to use it.

rudyumans
06-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Wasp spray cans are very large compared to most pepper sprays. There is also a question about your liability in using it as a self defense device. (Somebody breaks into your house while you are killing wasps and all bets are off) Pepper spray is designed to disable an attacker and give you the chance to extricate yourself from the situation. Wasp spray is not, and violates several federal laws regarding the use of pesticides. For pepper sprays - my advice is buy a few different brands and try them to see how far they actually spray. Do not spray them "into" the wind or you will also find out how irritating they can be. Once you know what it can do, you will be better prepared to use it.

That is great advise.! Thank you. Deep down I knew there was a reason why I joined these forums.:)

Got to go now. It seems I have a life after all. (at least, so I am told)

Batch
06-19-2010, 03:04 PM
Your going to have to compromise. Longer range delivery is the result of being shot in a stream which means you have to be more accurate. Wide cones that allow you good coverage area and also reduce range while increasing the likelihood that you will have wind blow some back at you.

Also, consider the way you have to hold the container to deliver. I used to have a small pepper dispenser that was also a Yawara. I switched and also equipped the with and kids with the spitfire systems. This is a good system because it allows for a more fluid delivery. Though it does require closer distances and increased chance you will get at least some spray on you.

http://www.spitfire.us/index.htm

Note, I had the canister leak in my pocket and so don't carry OC spray anymore at all.

rudyumans
06-20-2010, 03:14 PM
Thank you Batch. I think I stick with what I have then. It's just a little bigger than the spitfire.

Rick
06-20-2010, 04:55 PM
And remember that any altercation is probably going to be up close and personally. Bad guys rarely lip at you from 30 feet away announcing their intentions. They generally don't say anything until they grab you. Paying attention to your surroundings and trusting your gut instincts are the two best methods of defense you can have. Avoidance is always better then defending yourself.

rudyumans
06-20-2010, 05:08 PM
That's the hard part. When I take pictures and I am in "the moment" it's difficult to pay attention to everything sometimes. The good news is that, as a cyclist, I need to avoid cars etc. most of the time, so I learned to be very aware of my surroundings. I learned to use all my senses at the same time. Not just my eyes, but also my ears and smell. Still, there is no guarantee that I notice everything and I like (need) to be prepared. I am sure there are some good posts floating around here on the forums about using all your senses and all that. I can imagine that hunters have similar problems in certain situations.