PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the Throne

kyratshooter
06-17-2010, 03:32 AM
I moved onto the homestead in Oct and the place had been abandoned for over a year. I tore all the old fixtures out of the bathroom and installed new.

Realized quickly that the septic system needed chemical help and I have got it perking well at this point.

Problem is that I do not feel I am getting the toilet clean. I am used to pouring bleach and half the acids in creation in there and scrubbing the crud out of it, then flushing the chemical stew into the city line for them to worry over.

How do I get the comode good and clean without killing all the bacteria that are doing a fine job in the septic tank?

Winnie
06-17-2010, 04:21 AM
Here you go, I have a septic tank and use this. I also mix up some brewers yeast and flush that down the toilet from time to time, seems to help the good bacteria.

Natural Alternative To remove stains and limescale rings in the sink or bowl simply pour a little white vinegar into the bowl water and scrub with a cloth or toilet brush. If limescale deposits are heavy or the bowl requires deep cleaning add 2tbs bicarbonate of soda to the solution, and allow the fizz to get to work. Leave overnight if necessary.

nell67
06-17-2010, 07:16 AM
Pour about a cup of vinegar into the tank once a week to keep the lime from building up in there as well,then when you flush the toilet it helps keep the stains from setting up in the bowl.

randyt
06-17-2010, 07:28 AM
the best cleaner I've used is muriatic acid. i use about a pint sloshed around in the bowl. I haven't ever had a septic tank affected by this method.

Siskiyoumom
09-22-2010, 08:43 PM
I use hydrodgen peroxide and have had no trouble with it killing off the enzymes in the septic tank. Once a year I add a pack of septic helper (some brown powders enzymes0 my hubby was talked into buying. The company said put in a pack a month, and I don't see the need to do this. Also we have our brown water ie kitchen sink, shower, washer, bathroom sink water diverted to water landscaping. This reduces the amount of water into the septic tank.