PDA

View Full Version : Lean-to, Poor man way to add storage.

hunter63
06-16-2010, 01:07 PM
One of my favorite sayings is,"The difference between a collector and a hoarder is storage space".

It's nice having "stuff" but gets to be a pain to try storing your "stuff' relatively secure and out of the weather.

As I run into this from time to time, I guess one of my first options is to improve what ever storage I currently have.
With shelving, and creative ways to hang, double up and generally get as much use out of what I have, it's surprising how much space can be utilized.

At "The Place" a storage shed was hauled in, built by the local high school kids as a project, I just paid for the materials. Was a good deal, might want to look into this.

Over the years, I added a lean-to on the east side to serve as a BR and outside (sorta ) shower.
Served us well for a few years.

After the tractor arrived I had added on another lean-to to the west side, but now I'm thinking a roofed over "car-port", would serve as a tractor, and boat storage, w/fire wood walls (under roof).

So that left me with a possible additional storage area in the current lean-to.

Decided to wall it up and add a floor.

Not finished with trim and ramp yet, heading back out to do that in the morning.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/DSCF0247.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/DSCF0250.jpg

So if you need more room for your stuff, add a lean-to...............

Alaskan Survivalist
06-16-2010, 01:27 PM
I know a guy that adds on to his place every couple of years. It as become a rather large house but in the middle of it is the original camp trailer he moved on the property. You would never know it from the outside or the inside either until you are in the camper room that is still original complete with fixtures.

Sourdough
06-16-2010, 01:48 PM
I know a guy that adds on to his place every couple of years. It as become a rather large house but in the middle of it is the original camp trailer he moved on the property. You would never know it from the outside or the inside either until you are in the camper room that is still original complete with fixtures.

The North Slope Restaurant in Eagle River is the same thing. The original carnival burger wagon is still in the middle.

hunter63
06-16-2010, 02:40 PM
LOL, so is my MIL's cabin, trailer cia 1955 is still the kitchen and small bed room.

Was in a cabin that a friend had built over the years, started with a core 16' X 16' room and expamded on all four sides and up.
He actually planned it that way, so as to have plumbing on a wet wall, for kitchen on one side and added on bath on the other.

I have petty much doubled my space with 3 walls and a floor.
Room for more stuff!

Rick
06-16-2010, 04:06 PM
My grandfather's place was exactly that. It was probably a 1950's era trailer with one room added on that served as his kitchen. The trailer had an oil furnace in the middle of one end and a bed at the other. That was it. The outhouse did have a door.

Camp10
06-16-2010, 04:47 PM
My camp became this kind of project. I was left this old trailer and decided that I would just add to it rather than find a way to get it off the property and build for real.

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad337/lewisknives/100_0386.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad337/lewisknives/100_0387.jpg

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad337/lewisknives/100_0389.jpg

The inside is opened up and looks very nice.

Alaskan Survivalist
06-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Big improvement getting a roof over camper. Looks good Camp!

Camp10
06-16-2010, 06:49 PM
Big improvement getting a roof over camper. Looks good Camp!

Yeah. I was always worried that snow load would destroy the place. I had to get up there all the time to clean it. Now it slides away and I dont have to make all those runs after work (and after dark) during the winter.

crashdive123
06-16-2010, 06:53 PM
Snow? Oh yeah - I've seen pictures.:innocent:

Camp10
06-16-2010, 07:19 PM
Snow? Oh yeah - I've seen pictures.:innocent:

Come on up in Feb, We'll go ice fishing!!:cold:

crashdive123
06-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Come on up in Feb, We'll go ice fishing!!:cold:

Come down in August, we'll go fishing with a cooler full of ice.:innocent:

Camp10
06-16-2010, 07:29 PM
Come down in August, we'll go fishing with a cooler full of ice.:innocent:

It would need to be a big cooler! I worked for a week in the keys August of 94 or 95! We had to work nights because the heat was killing us!! I was told there was always a breeze and it wouldnt be bad but we were stuck inside and there was no A/C and no breeze.

kyratshooter
06-17-2010, 03:25 AM
I personally like that little A frame pop-up camper. I have lived in places that were not that nice.

hunter63
06-20-2010, 05:27 PM
I personally like that little A frame pop-up camper. I have lived in places that were not that nice.

KS, so you like that huh, well I bought it with a bad roof for $200 bucks, drug it out there, set it up, (solid sides tip up after cranking up the roof).
Screwed the sides to the roof rails, permanent.

Added plywood on the roof then roofed it.

Served as guest house, and now a shed.
Where else can you get a shed for $200 bucks, that is portable, has/had bunks, sink/pump, furance, wired for elect?

2dumb2kwit
06-20-2010, 08:35 PM
A few years ago, my brother (Who is legally blind.) decided that he wanted a lean-to on the back of his garage. He also decided that he could build it, without asking anyone for help. Problem was, he couldn't see well enough to hit a nail with a hammer.
He got his wife to take him to Lowes, where he bought some plywood, some 4x4's, a long drill bit, and a bunch of bolts. It took him two days, and a butt-load of bolts, but he built his lean-to.......without any help! LOL

Funny thing is, that dang lean-to will probably out last his garage.....It's stout!

hunter63
06-21-2010, 11:42 AM
A few years ago, my brother (Who is legally blind.) decided that he wanted a lean-to on the back of his garage. He also decided that he could build it, without asking anyone for help. Problem was, he couldn't see well enough to hit a nail with a hammer.
He got his wife to take him to Lowes, where he bought some plywood, some 4x4's, a long drill bit, and a bunch of bolts. It took him two days, and a butt-load of bolts, but he built his lean-to.......without any help! LOL

Funny thing is, that dang lean-to will probably out last his garage.....It's stout!

LOL, Way to go....just goes to show you, "where there is a will, there is a way".
My FIL built his cabin with some help, but was a WWII Paraplegic, walked with braces on both legs and two canes.