PDA

View Full Version : Pet food as survival food

corndog-44
12-19-2007, 06:16 PM
I don't know if it would taste very good, but it would beat starving. Would you eat dog food to stay alive? How would you prepare it? Any brand preference?

Rick
12-19-2007, 06:20 PM
Corndog - I actually went on a dog food diet a couple of years ago. It was Purina Chow and it was actually pretty tasty. I found if you add garlic and some fried onion it's really pretty good. The down side was that I wound up in the hospital in intensive care for three weeks. It wasn't the dog food diet that caused it. I was in the road lickin' my bu** and got hit by a car.

mbarnatl
12-19-2007, 06:46 PM
LOL @ Rick.

Cody Lunin talks a little bit about eating dog food in his new book. It is amazing what people will eat to survive. Just make sure that none of the ingredients came from China. Oh yeah... don't forget the A1 sauce! And stay out of the road when licking yourself.:)

Rick
12-19-2007, 07:01 PM
I couldn't resist. Sorry, it was just too good of a setup. Anywhoo.

Dog food is just the by products that most folks won't eat along with some fillers. Things like organs, blood, and offal. Some even contain rice or wheat. Check the ingredients. I doubt it is very tasty since it's not designed for human consumption (you know how finicky we humans are). But in an emergency situation, any port in a storm.

I once walked into our unlit kitchen and ripped open a package of beef jerky. As I stood there eating it, my wife asked what I was doing. Duh!? That's for the dog she told me. I'm still here and it was pretty darn good.

Yes, Corndog. I would eat dog food to stay alive. I'd eat it raw or warmed up if it's cold and I had the means. As for brand, any can or bag printed in English. There is a story of some Marines on Tinean Island drinking the worst sake they'd run across only to find out later it was insect repellent. Don't know if it's true but if I can't read it, I don't eat it.

mbarnatl
12-19-2007, 07:10 PM
Also, you would want canned over dry because of the longer shelf life.

Quote:"Dog food is just the by products that most folks won't eat along with some fillers. Things like organs, blood, and offal."
If people new what ingredients went into hotdogs, I don't think the would eat them as much.

Rick
12-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Man, that is a great point. Hot Dogs are quiz food. (What's inside, mom? I don't know honey, eat your lunch.) So is bologna.

Here's an article on dog food:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_food

I think I'd go with Pedigree.....'cause I'm worth it.:rolleyes:

Sarge47
12-19-2007, 09:42 PM
I would definetely eat my dog's food as we don't buy her pet food. She eats the same things we do as the stuff made for pets causes her a lot of
"diareha." Pet food costs more, in comparison to what we buy. Hmmm, shoulda asked if you would eat your pet in a survival situation.:cool:

FVR
12-19-2007, 09:50 PM
Dinty Moore beef stew, dog food? need I say more.

corndog-44
12-20-2007, 09:57 AM
The recent pet food recall reminded me of a medical report released many years ago that indicated pet food, specifically Alpo, is consumed at a higher rate in the U.S. by humans than by dogs. It purportedly is a staple for the homeless. Anything to it?

nell67
12-20-2007, 10:04 AM
I have heard often that the elderly eat alot of canned dog food because it is cheaper than human food:eek:

trax
12-20-2007, 11:47 AM
yech..:eek:...that offal is awful...:eek:

hunter
12-21-2007, 10:53 AM
is i was u i would boil it and turn it into porage yum i tride dog food my self not dog meet the dry stuff it was suprisingly nice haha i had bad breth haha i only had 10 little dry things or you could fry or rost the wet food

Beo
12-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Oh my God!!!!!!!! Okay I have eat'n dog food (dry not canned). I know Trax, but I had to try it bro, and I have eat'n dog biscuits also and did this when in the army. I used to load up one of my cargo pockets with Fig Newtons on a patrol and scout that would take 3 or 4 hours, and a good friend would put dog biscuits in his. I ran out of fig newtons and we got extended in the field so I chomped on some his dog biscuits with him. Okay now that that is said, go ahead and let me have it :D And if I could lick my own balls like my dog I would never leave the house :D

Rick
12-21-2007, 12:52 PM
Okay, for the younger generation on here, we're talking about baseballs. Licking a baseball enables you to throw a spit ball (also called a mud ball or a shine ball) making it more difficult for the batter to hit the ball. They are illegal to use in a game, by the way. Obviously, Beo's dog licks his baseballs, which would also be illegal to use in a game.

Beo
12-21-2007, 01:30 PM
Oh yeah, my bad. Yeah I'm a baseball pitcher just don't get caught throwing spit balls. ;)

MedicineWolf
12-21-2007, 10:49 PM
Potty mouth, what's up bro :D ya coming over to Montana in Jan. for the interview or what? I'll call ya this weelend, Sunday at 8pm. And I remember ya trying those dog biscuits, lol... as I remember ya spit them out but when ya got hungry ya woofed them down... that was some funny sh*t too. Oh pardon my french.

Smok
12-22-2007, 01:49 AM
:D My dog's name was stir-fry , just so he knows how I fill about him. But he's 10 yrs old now so I changed he's name to slow cooker :eek:

Rick
12-22-2007, 01:52 AM
That's too funny, Smok. I'll bet that old dog looks up at you and you tell him, "I got some bar-b-que sauce around here. Don't be lookin' at me like that." And he sort of whines and goes hide behind the couch. Peekin' around the corner at you.

Smok
12-23-2007, 04:15 AM
Your just about right on there Rick

dilligaf2u2
12-23-2007, 03:23 PM
When I was a little tike and starting in the scouts. We had an Assistant Scout Master we called Gravy Train. Mr Greg Trainer. Once when we were out on a weekender he brought out a bag of what he called Beef Crunches.

When you have had nothing to eat for over a day and you are offered Beef Crunches, You eat and be glad you got it. You guessed it. Gravy Train!

Now I do not remember the Scout Masters name but Mr. Greg Trainer will be in my memories for as long as I live. Good Memories.

Don

woodwose
12-23-2007, 04:08 PM
When I was a little tike and starting in the scouts. We had an Assistant Scout Master we called Gravy Train. Mr Greg Trainer. Once when we were out on a weekender he brought out a bag of what he called Beef Crunches.

When you have had nothing to eat for over a day and you are offered Beef Crunches, You eat and be glad you got it. You guessed it. Gravy Train!

Now I do not remember the Scout Masters name but Mr. Greg Trainer will be in my memories for as long as I live. Good Memories.

Don

When I was in school... we had a teacher there whose name was Ed R*****. He is still alive so I am astericksing his name... We found out that his wife had been feeding him horse meat for years without his knowing about it.. :eek:We ended up calling him Mister Ed.. (after the talking horse, for those of you that are still young'uns.) :D

Oh,, my dog eats prime rib... so yeah, I would eat dog food to survive.. :D

Rick
12-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Horse meat is eaten in a lot of countries world wide. Even our friends in Kanuckistan enjoy it. Just one more mental thing we have in this country about diet. Here's a wiki article on horse meat:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse_meat

"A horse is a horse of course, of course......" yeah, I remember, Wilbur.

carcajou garou
12-24-2007, 12:27 AM
I've eaten dog food and was glad, eaten dog also...when in need...

Canadian-guerilla
12-24-2007, 08:33 AM
i've eaten dry dog food no problem
but for me, the canned dog food needs help ( ketchup )
same with cat food
i've actually been thinking about using
those little sealed packets of Temptations cat food
as snackfood for my next hike in the woods

Rick
12-24-2007, 09:05 AM
Okay, I sense an Ontario theme going on here.

carcajou garou
12-24-2007, 11:37 AM
The nutrional values of pet food may be slightly different but the quality control that is applied to them is a factor. After the recent spate of tainted pet foods, toys from China we have to be concerned, we don't want to injest some of those fillers they use and wind up with kidney or liver damage like some of the dogs and cats.

Nativedude
12-24-2007, 12:34 PM
Horse meat is very good! . . .Have not eaten dog food, I get and additional protein I need from ants, grasshoppers, etc. The dog food is for my dog, and he would probably attack me for it if I ate any of his?! :D

nell67
12-24-2007, 12:51 PM
I will not eat horse meat,horses are our friends!:eek:

Nativedude
12-24-2007, 12:54 PM
I will not eat horse meat,horses are our friends!:eek:

Does that mean that cows, chickens, pigs, sheep, deer, etc. are our enemies? :confused: :eek:

nell67
12-24-2007, 01:04 PM
Does that mean that cows, chickens, pigs, sheep, deer, etc. are our enemies? :confused: :eek:

nope ,but I like horses,and not for the table either!

carcajou garou
12-24-2007, 02:54 PM
Horses, the real "Fast Food". Nah I'm just "foaling" you;)

Rick
12-24-2007, 02:56 PM
Would you guys quit horsin' around? I thought we were a little more stable than this!

nell67
12-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Horses, the real "Fast Food". Nah I'm just "foaling" you;)
BAD bad bad baaaaadddddd!

Sarge47
12-24-2007, 04:00 PM
1st off, ya can't ride a chicken! 2nd, you guys sure know how to ride a joke hard and put it away wet! Dis-mount off'n Nell's back. She knows that it's only Micky D's that uses horse-meat in their burgers. Okay, Sarge is back in the saddle again!:rolleyes:

nell67
12-24-2007, 04:02 PM
YEE HAAA ! you tell 'em Sarge!

Rick
12-24-2007, 06:52 PM
I'm glad to see Sarge has the reins. Maybe all this nag'in will cease. The mane thing is you can count on him to pony up when the chips are down.

nell67
12-24-2007, 06:55 PM
I'm glad to see Sarge has the reins. Maybe all this nag'in will cease. The mane thing is you can count on him to pony up when the chips are down.
Well if the (horse)shoe fits.....

Rick
12-24-2007, 06:56 PM
I'd be really interested to learn how Sarge knows you can't ride a chicken. Was the saddle too big?

Sarge47
12-24-2007, 10:17 PM
I'd be really interested to learn how Sarge knows you can't ride a chicken. Was the saddle too big?

My legs kept draggin' on the ground!:rolleyes:

Sarge47
12-24-2007, 10:19 PM
I guess the Horse laugh is on me, you get the other end,(snort) Parrimpum, he's here all week folks! Then on to Vegas!:D

Beo
12-26-2007, 09:18 AM
I'd eat a horse of course, but if the horse was the famous Mister Ed, but then again the meat is said to be really good, and I got a question... how come some of you will eat beef (cow) or chicken, but not horse or dog, and some won't eat deer, moose or elk? I'm sure the animals you won't eat thank you but what about the cow? Do you think the cow said: Hey I'm the slowest of these big meaty animals so eat me instead. No I'm on the top of the food chain, so I eat all of them. A dog, a horse, a goat, a pig, a deer, a rabbit, a chicken, a squirrel, a moose, an elk, a beaver (the tail is really good), gator, and snake. Sure there are more... I won't eat bear (unless I had to) but my point is you'll eat a cow why not the others?

nell67
12-26-2007, 09:30 AM
for me,it is a personal choice,It would have to be an extreme last resort before I would consider it.

Sarge47
12-26-2007, 12:00 PM
Well, I'm sure Remy will offer a tome of words on this but the answer is psychological. Living in the midst of civilization like we are we can't imagine eating certain animals or even insects. however, in a survival situation if you get hungry enough your mind goes over into a completely different place and that's where the "bias" factor will vanish. Either that or you'll starve. I prefer to wait for that to happen before I'd eat certain things.:cool:

nell67
12-26-2007, 02:19 PM
Exactly Sarge.

Rick
12-26-2007, 02:39 PM
If I had a nickel from every horseshoe and cat collar I've had to spit out......:rolleyes:

Tony uk
02-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Has anyone ever considered cat food ?

Felx :D

Rick
02-29-2008, 07:19 PM
A little soy sauce and water chestnuts.......

Sam
03-02-2008, 12:13 AM
Dinty Moore beef stew, dog food? need I say more.

Uhmmmmmm..... Dinty Moore beef stew, (drool) I like the stuff. Heck I' got a case of it in the cupboard.:D

cyc79
03-04-2008, 12:52 AM
I trust my dog.It hates dog food of any kind,prefers meat.Good enough for me,I'll go on trusting her judgment.

crashdive123
03-18-2008, 07:56 PM
OK.....Let's be honest. How many of you ate milk bone dog biscuits as a child? *Starts to slowly raise hand.....looks around forum first before committing*

Rick
03-18-2008, 08:17 PM
And dog jerky, crash. If you can eat human food and survive, dog food sure won't hurt you.

Chicken McNuggets - Made up of 38 ingredients, mostly chemicals and corn derivatives. A McNugget is 56% corn products. But 0.02 percent is tertiary butylhydropuinone (TBHQ), a petroleum byproduct used as a preservative. TBHQ is actually butane, also known as lighter fluid.

Cool Whip - No cream. No milk. The only dairy is a milk protein called sodium caseinate. Also water, corn syrup, coconut oil and palm kernel oil.

Velveeta - Whey and carrageenin (a derivative of Irish moss).

Twinkies - Polysorbate 60 is one of many chemical compounds in a Twinkie. One of the ingredients in polysorbate 60 is ethylene oxide, a highly flammable material that is toxic in high quantities. It was used in grenades during the Vietnam War.

Deodorant - (hey, you use it every day....you do use it, right?). Secret is advertised as "strong enough for a man, but made for a woman". It actually contains the exact same ingredients in the exact same proportions as the men's deoderant Sure.

I rest my case.

johnzilla
04-14-2008, 06:32 PM
I would prefer not to eat horse or dog simply because those two animals, in my mind, offer some level of intelligence and companionship. A cow is a cow...it doesn't really augment your lifestyle...it is only there for food.

A horse, on the other hand, could save your life, as can a dog, and not by dying so you can eat it. You can also communicate in rudimentary fashion with a horse or a dog. I'll never forget this one horse I used to ride that had an honest-to-heck sense of humor. And I wouldn't think of eating my dog. A dog, maybe if things were really tough, but my dog? No way.

If I had to draw a line, I'd say I wouldn't eat anything that knows how to play. My dog knows and wants to play, and the horses I've known were the same way. Cats play, but you could argue that they're just playhunting instead of actually playing like a dog does. Cows don't play, or I've never seen one that does, and chickens don't, either.

On a side note, I sample everything I buy for my dog: food, treats, whatever. I find her food and treats tasteless.

If you're looking for a good site, check out www.dogfoodanalysis.com, they rate all dog food on a scale of 1 to 6, 1 being the worst. My dog developed food allergies and my vet insisted on a special prescription diet that was very expensive. It didn't seem to help, and when I checked that site, I found that the extra-special food he had prescribed for her was rated a "1". I stopped feeding it to her and found another vet.

BraggSurvivor
04-14-2008, 07:25 PM
I would prefer not to eat horse or dog simply because those two animals, in my mind, offer some level of intelligence and companionship. A cow is a cow...it doesn't really augment your lifestyle...it is only there for food.

A horse, on the other hand, could save your life, as can a dog, and not by dying so you can eat it. You can also communicate in rudimentary fashion with a horse or a dog. I'll never forget this one horse I used to ride that had an honest-to-heck sense of humor. And I wouldn't think of eating my dog. A dog, maybe if things were really tough, but my dog? No way.

If I had to draw a line, I'd say I wouldn't eat anything that knows how to play. My dog knows and wants to play, and the horses I've known were the same way. Cats play, but you could argue that they're just playhunting instead of actually playing like a dog does. Cows don't play, or I've never seen one that does, and chickens don't, either.

On a side note, I sample everything I buy for my dog: food, treats, whatever. I find her food and treats tasteless.

If you're looking for a good site, check out www.dogfoodanalysis.com, they rate all dog food on a scale of 1 to 6, 1 being the worst. My dog developed food allergies and my vet insisted on a special prescription diet that was very expensive. It didn't seem to help, and when I checked that site, I found that the extra-special food he had prescribed for her was rated a "1". I stopped feeding it to her and found another vet.

My cows say "Kiss this!". :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/Bructer/DSC00716.jpg

Cows are not as stupid as everyone thinks. They are also more than just food, they are useful tool to teach my kids responsibility. Mine actually play all the time as well, head to head pushing contests are their favorite.

Welcome to the forum too by the way.

BraggSurvivor
04-14-2008, 07:31 PM
I would have no problem eating my pets or their food. I actually picked my dogs breed just for that reason. If it was the difference between my kids starving or my pet, he'd be on the next grille.