PDA

View Full Version : Crooked neck Squash!

COWBOYSURVIVAL
06-13-2010, 09:39 PM
This is definately a prolific plant! What to do with all of these Squash! LOL! I have been eating them all week! A good survival plan would include these seeds!

http://i1020.photobucket.com/albums/af330/COWBOYSURVIVAL/DSCN2644.jpg

BENESSE
06-13-2010, 09:45 PM
You can roast the seeds just like pumpkin seeds. (Very nutritious, btw)

1. Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.

2. After removing the seeds from the squash, rinse with water, and remove any strings and bits of squash. Pat dry, and place in a small bowl. Stir the olive oil and salt into the seeds until evenly coated. Spread out in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet.

3. Bake for 15 minutes, or until seeds start to pop. Remove from oven and cool on the baking sheet before serving.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
06-13-2010, 10:03 PM
LOL! I do roast pumpkin seeds! The good ole boys' down here laugh about it! If I get too many squash that goto seed..I'll try it right now there are very tender...even though they look to far gone!

your_comforting_company
06-13-2010, 11:17 PM
Just today we stewed a pot of squash, okra, and tomatoes. Add a pinch of salt and a lot of pepper. Excellent soup! All the natural flavors of the ingredients makes this one stand out in my book.

I can think of a couple other recipes.. breaded and fried, sauteed with wild onions in a frying pan..
That's a nice haul. You gonna can any of them for later or eat them all as they are ready?

oldtrap59
06-19-2010, 02:49 PM
The crooked necks are one of the heavy producers in our garden year after year. We eat all we want during the season but also can and freeze all the extra. Never have enough around as wife and I both love them.

To freeze we just blanch and put in freezer bags. Wife makes a killer casarole with onions bell pepper garlic cheese and the frozen squash. Also freeze alot of them for frying. Just slice them up roll them in flour, dip them in a wisked egg then back into the flour for another coat. Lay them out on cookie sheet and put in the freezer till frozen. Now take them and put into a bag and into the freezer. When your ready to fry some of them up just take out what you want and get the frypan hot. Really good after those fresh one's are only a memory in the winter.Good way to handle mushrooms for frying too.

oldtrap

canid
06-22-2010, 12:09 AM
i composted some squash last winter, and when i tilled the compost into some of the garden rows, they are sprouting everywhere.

i just harvested the first nice, large yellow squash and finished eating it just before reading this.

eating a lot of squash, i recommend harvesting it just a bit mature, so it will store longer. most summer squash seem still to be fairly good when they begin to firm up.