PDA

View Full Version : Fireworks.....for defense.

Sourdough
06-13-2010, 02:30 PM
Could some fireworks be used for defense in discouraging trespass and hold looters at bay. I am thinking cherry bomb or M-80 and could a large slingshot launch them.....?

crimescene450
06-13-2010, 02:39 PM
yes
fireworks would probably scare people away

you can also modify them and make them bigger

COWBOYSURVIVAL
06-13-2010, 02:56 PM
I have a few M80's in my pack and a few smoke bombs. M80's will cause fish to be stunned and surface if trapped in small pools. Smoke bombs are good to force out injured animals from hollows.

Sourdough
06-13-2010, 02:59 PM
yes
fireworks would probably scare people away

you can also modify them and make them bigger

I do NOT want to build any bombs, or be in possession of anything illegal. But Fireworks are legal here. I just have had nothing to do with them in 50 years. When I was young there was cherry bombs, and commercial fisherman use seal bombs. I don't know what is even available today that is legal. It just seems like a goooder plan to scare people away, rather than having bodies leaking all over the driveway, and stinking the place up........not to mention the bears they would attract.

Sourdough
06-13-2010, 03:01 PM
I have a few M80's in my pack and a few smoke bombs. M80's will cause fish to be stunned and surface if trapped in small pools. Smoke bombs are good to force out injured animals from hollows.

How far could you throw a M-80.......? and do you think the fuse would stay lit if launched from a slingshot.....????

Ken
06-13-2010, 03:07 PM
I don't believe that M-80s are legal anywhere in the US under federal law. Not sure, but I believe I read that somewhere.

I don't think fireworks would have any deterent effect. Not on me, anyway.

I know you said that you don't want to build any bombs, and that's good, because they're illegal. However, there are, shall we say, alternatives that can be just as effective. I just don't think the forum rules allow us to post about recipes for things like napalm or incendiaries or things that make real bad vapors or stuff like that. :innocent:

BENESSE
06-13-2010, 03:38 PM
There ARE some bean-like fireworks I've heard about from my grandpaw and the only man ALIVE that could expound on that just might be Rick.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
06-13-2010, 03:42 PM
How far could you throw a M-80.......? and do you think the fuse would stay lit if launched from a slingshot.....????

Didn't mean to mislead but Ken is right...the M80 was available to me as a child but isn't as an adult. What I have is "legal" M80's they go by a different name...not sure what it is. The wick is waterproof and very substantial. I think it would stay burning in a sling shot but from lighting to shooting would be a hurried lucky shot. To me there is definately an audible difference in a firework and a firearm. Kinda like the audible difference in a hit and a miss with a firearm. I listen for the impact.

BENESSE
06-13-2010, 03:44 PM
[QUOTE=COWBOYSURVIVAL;227710 Kinda like the audible difference in a hit and a miss with a firearm. I listen for the impact.[/QUOTE]

Rick,where you at? We need you to clarify.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
06-13-2010, 03:50 PM
B,

I think it was a phosecious question...My thinking is in terms of survival. No one talking about making bombs. Sure am glad I don't live in NY, it has affected your thinking! LOL! Hope you see the humor in that. We have too much fun down south.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
06-13-2010, 03:56 PM
I'll clarify...I have never been in a gun fight and don't plan on it. I remove myself from bad situations. In regards to listening for the "hit" I do it legally in my deer stand and often ask for the meat from the kill! No miscreant here. I can tell you whirlzzz sound a bullet makes too! That is not good if your hearing that!

Another clarification...."legal red fireworks sold everywhere" are kids toys...just sayin'

BENESSE
06-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Could some fireworks be used for defense in discouraging trespass and hold looters at bay. I am thinking cherry bomb or M-80 and could a large slingshot launch them.....?

Just axing...
So when the fire works get fizzled out, say in the next hour or so, what then?
The trespassers just wait it out, file their nails and wait. What's the next step?

Sourdough
06-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Just axing...
The trespassers just wait it out, file their nails and wait. What's the next step?

Just Kill them, and drag them to the river, for disposal. The object is to save the fuel spent dragging them to the river.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
06-13-2010, 04:09 PM
Just axing...

Ahhh! Benesse, I apologize if I said anything wrong. Your exactly right his scenario is not practical at all. I understand things are much different in NYC. I didn't mean anything towards you! I happen to think alot of you and your posts. Just there is no place for me NYC. It'd be like the Crocodile Dundee movie!!! Please smile!

Sourdough
06-13-2010, 04:16 PM
Here they sell "Mortars" that shake the earth when they detonate, and if I was looking for easy pickings and someone Dropped one of those babies nearby, I would loot elsewhere. Do a search of "Gorilla Fireworks Alaska"

rwc1969
06-13-2010, 04:18 PM
I think mortars, which are legal, at least to sell, at least in some states, would work great. In fact, if you aim well enough they could more than deter some folks.

They remind me of a rocket launched phosporous grenade.

Sourdough
06-13-2010, 04:22 PM
Your exactly right his scenario is not practical at all. !

Why do you say that.....? I am on a Mountain, and my cabin overlooks the start of my 3/8 mile driveway. The cabin is about 125 yards from the start of the driveway, and I can see if someone stops, and starts up the mountain. I would rather discourage them there than at the cabin door.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
06-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Why do you say that.....? I am on a Mountain, and my cabin overlooks the start of my 3/8 mile driveway. The cabin is about 125 yards from the start of the driveway, and I can see if someone stops, and starts up the mountain. I would rather discourage them there than at the cabin door.

I say it because "I" would know the difference in an actual threat and a staged movie threat. Not that your miscreants would...that would depend on their level of knowledge. It would certainly get someones attention. I have a large property too. Suppose they are armed and mean an actual threat, all along your playing with fireworks? I have seen miscreants walk the road, looking into my property for things of value. I have no issue firing into the wood pile to make my point. There is a "threat" and then there is a "real threat". I think for most you'd be exhibiting your reluctance to actually protect yourself. Kinda like 2 guys bumping chests. Not for me if I am threatened I react with a full vengeance immediately. We don't have to agree but it serves me well.

Winnie
06-13-2010, 04:32 PM
What's wrong with one of these?

http://www.selstarfireworks.co.uk/Rockets-Fireworks.htm

I reckon you could take out a few bad guys with one of these set at the right angle.:)

Justin Case
06-13-2010, 04:36 PM
I don't believe that M-80s are legal anywhere in the US under federal law. Not sure, but I believe I read that somewhere.

I don't think fireworks would have any deterent effect. Not on me, anyway.

I know you said that you don't want to build any bombs, and that's good, because they're illegal. However, there are, shall we say, alternatives that can be just as effective. I just don't think the forum rules allow us to post about recipes for things like napalm or incendiaries or things that make real bad vapors or stuff like that. :innocent:

you can buy wahat they call m-80s all day long here from the reservations, But they are not "Real" m-80s,,,, they are maybe 3 times a regular black cat firecracker,, not the kind that will stun fish. they cost 1.50 each, but like i say, They are not old school m-80s.

Sourdough
06-13-2010, 04:37 PM
I think mortars, which are legal, at least to sell, at least in some states, would work great. In fact, if you aim well enough they could more than deter some folks.

They remind me of a rocket launched phosporous grenade.

The Mortars are exactly one of the things I am considering. The near by town of Hope, Alaska (Population:158) Bought some for New Years Bonfire event, and I was shocked that you could buy Mortars (Concussion Fireworks).

Justin Case
06-13-2010, 04:39 PM
The Mortars are exactly one of the things I am considering. The near by town of Hope, Alaska (Population:158) Bought some for New Years Bonfire event, and I was shocked that you could buy Mortars (Concussion Fireworks).

you can get those here too, 2 inch mortars, they are expensive though.

Batch
06-13-2010, 04:45 PM
Just post a sign...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/bigcypress/sourdough.jpg

I used to have a starter gun that had a brass tip that you loaded a firecracker without a fuse into it. When you shot the gun it propelled the game chaser and then it would explode.

You can buy just about anything you want down here from Phantom Fireworks or Neptune/TNT.

Sourdough
06-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Just post a sign...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/bigcypress/sourdough.jpg

I used to have a starter gun that had a brass tip that you loaded a firecracker without a fuse into it. When you shot the gun it propelled the game chaser and then it would explode.

You can buy just about anything you want down here from Phantom Fireworks or Neptune/TNT.

Where's Tabitha........I just found my new driveway signs.

cowgirlup
06-13-2010, 05:15 PM
Good thread. I have wondered about this. I had thought if you had a mb of people trying to break down your dorr you might be able to light and throw some fireworks out the window to encourage them to go away. Maybe after a few times they would move on and figure you're not worth the powder burns.

Rick
06-13-2010, 05:19 PM
Why use fireworks? Use incendiary ammo or starburst ammo along with perimeter guards:

http://www.hi-vel.com/Catalog__24/Incendiary_Ammunition/incendiary_ammunition.html

http://www.hi-vel.com/Catalog__24/Starburst_Ammunition/starburst_ammunition.html

http://www.hi-vel.com/Catalog__24/Perimeter_Alarm_Systems___Acce/perimeter_alarm_systems___acce.html

BENESSE
06-13-2010, 05:32 PM
I kinda like the idea of claymore mines placed at the periphery of the property to start with.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBB3OS0Ir2U

COWBOYSURVIVAL
06-13-2010, 05:48 PM
Why don't you have a good dog or dogs? This is my best first line of defense and alarm system? Just curious...is it because of bears?

2dumb2kwit
06-13-2010, 05:52 PM
One word........Tannerite.:innocent:

https://www.tannerite.com/

crashdive123
06-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Sourdough - what about bear bangers? With the pen launcher they should shoot about 30 yards or so.

Quigley
06-13-2010, 07:46 PM

I can see great minds think alike. I was heading that direction. Some tannerite targets set up at known distances. You could even put them in some old appliances to make them that much more impressive when you shoot them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bVBucjx4hs&feature=related

Ole WV Coot
06-13-2010, 09:03 PM
When I was a youngster we always had a case of dynamite around. We would blast the top of a hill on the 4th & New Years. It can't be done now I guess. Several years ago I checked an old barn and found a box, nitro had run out on the ground. I notched fuse to tell how much time I had left, kept caps, fuse & crank for years. I did know a man in VA that tried to blow stumps with grenades years ago. As a kid we made guns out of pipe, steel bearings & firecrackers or whatever and like the man who went fishing with the game warden, wasn't catching anything, breaks out a stick of dynamite. When the warden tells him he can't use it he tells the warden to either shut up or fish. Handy but not available.

Batch
06-13-2010, 09:42 PM
I have a jar of potassium perchlorate in the closet. :innocent:

Survival Guy 10
06-23-2010, 06:19 PM

(tannerite) the best thing since sliced bread, look on youtube cool vids

firststrike
03-20-2011, 07:22 PM
M 80 Block busters you can glue BB on them and use them as self defence form crouds in third world countrys they were glueing BB on to M 80 and using them to dispurse large crouds of people of corse some were killed.And badly hurt and i dont know if you can still buy M 80 or Block busters to day the Federal goverment mane them a big NO NO.

Rick
03-20-2011, 07:31 PM
Hey, firststrike, why not glue yourself to our Introduction section and tell us about yourself?

OhioGrizzLapp
03-20-2011, 07:31 PM
I personally have a supply of Rail Road H-100's (1/4 sticks of 15% Dynomite), the older ones that I have are TNT-15%-BNHG, TNT = Trinitrotolulene. They will act as small hand-grenades in a expedient made frag. I changed out the fuses to 1/4" orange safty fuse with a known burn rate per inch. Curent law does not allow them to be made anymore and owned ones were grandfathered in.

crashdive123
03-20-2011, 09:17 PM
M 80 Block busters you can glue BB on them and use them as self defence form crouds in third world countrys they were glueing BB on to M 80 and using them to dispurse large crouds of people of corse some were killed.And badly hurt and i dont know if you can still buy M 80 or Block busters to day the Federal goverment mane them a big NO NO.

Good way to land your butt in jail for a long, long time.

MidWestMat
03-20-2011, 09:21 PM
Not to worry Crash, thats only 10 years Federal for EACH ONE.

JPGreco
03-20-2011, 09:36 PM
Um, if a mob of people are trying to break down my door, I'm not too concerned about the legality of my chosen path of self defence, especially in a survival type scenario.

That being said, things that go boom would make me happy.

sushidog
03-20-2011, 09:39 PM
In addition to tannerite, look at this site:

http://www.shop.sureshotexplodingtargets.com/

Tannerite needs a centerfire rifle to detonate while shreshot requires only a 22lr to make it go boom.

Chip

Justin Case
03-20-2011, 09:47 PM
In addition to tannerite, look at this site:

http://www.shop.sureshotexplodingtargets.com/

Tannerite needs a centerfire rifle to detonate while shreshot requires only a 22lr to make it go boom.

Chip

one question,,,, why ?? a cup of flour is alot cheaper,,,:innocent:

sushidog
03-20-2011, 10:21 PM
A cup of flour on top of some C-4 will make what's commonly referred to as a grain explosive, dust explosion or an air/fuel explosion. What primary explosive do you suggest to atomize the flour? I never heard of a cup of flour being detonated by a rifle round by itself.

Chip

Justin Case
03-20-2011, 10:25 PM
A cup of flour on top of some C-4 will make what's commonly referred to as a grain explosive, dust explosion or an air/fuel explosion. What primary explosive do you suggest to atomize the flour? I never heard of a cup of flour being detonated by a rifle round by itself.

Chip

I mean,, it will "look" like it exploded,,, what does anybody need with real exploding targets ? just was curious,,,,,,

Winter
03-20-2011, 10:49 PM
SD, I didn't read the whole thread.

Yes, fireworks can do a couple things.

"Saturn missile batteries" for instance, are awesome. They force people to take cover.

How does forcing people to take cover help? It doesn't if someone is walking right towards you, but if you are 90deg to their left of right, it helps a great deal.

The "morters" can be hand thrown and it's really fun,lol. Nobody wants that thing going off around them.

sushidog
03-21-2011, 10:06 AM
I could see a use of tannerite type products as a safe and legal to store explosives that could be used in place of conventional high explosives in time of need. One could use it for anything from blowing stumps to prep a field for planting or building a structure, to blowing bridges or falling trees to restrict access to delay an assault on your position, to making "command detonating" claymore type devices (in an EOTWAWKI scenario of course, where there is no more law or law enforcement concerns and it's every man for himself.) A small amount planted along side access roads or trails could even be used as a pyrotechnic for discouraging egress without actually using lethal force, which as I understand it, is what this thread is exploring.

Chip

Justin Case
03-21-2011, 10:12 AM
I could see a use of tannerite type products as a safe and legal to store explosives that could be used in place of conventional high explosives in time of need. One could use it for anything from blowing stumps to prep a field for planting or building a structure, to blowing bridges or falling trees to restrict access to delay an assault on your position, to making "command detonating" claymore type devices (in an EOTWAWKI scenario of course, where there is no more law or law enforcement concerns and it's every man for himself.) A small amount planted along side access roads or trails could even be used as a pyrotechnic for discouraging egress without actually using lethal force, which as I understand it, is what this thread is exploring.

Chip

You are right,, I strayed,,,, sorry ,,

sushidog
03-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Of course something like this could be implemented to warn of invaders, and could even be retrofitted with a piece of pipe surrounding a live shell for taking game and the obvious (after TSHTF of course.) I like multiple use items.

12ga blank trip wire (http://www.readymaderesources.com/cart/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1964)

Chip

Beans
03-21-2011, 01:47 PM
When I was assisting in setting up the fire power demo for the SOF Conventions in Las Vegas. We rigged a small wooden pole driven into the ground, taped 3 sticks of TNT around it, ran Det cord from the TNT into a one plastic gallon container (Milk jugs) of DE earth and another length of Det cord into a plastic gallon container (Milk jugs) of Gasoline. We would set about 40 of these in the impact area@150 yards in front of the grandstand/bleechers.

When we commenced to demo the full autos. We had about 20-30 full auto machine guns of all types, makes, vintages, including BAR's. We also had a military sniper with a bolt action rifle that would pick up any missed charges, there were not many left for him to shoot.

The cartridge impact would detonate the TNT, the DE earth would fill the air with a dense white cloud and the Gasoline would add to it with a ball of flame. The crowd loved it. I'll admit it was a rush. :rambo: :surrender:

One year Dillon , of Dillon reloading, brought up a Quad 50 with 1000 rd per gun and fired it wide open until it ran dry. A couple of years later he brought up his Dillon Aero M134 Mini-Gun (Electric Gatling Gun) with several thousand rds of ammo and ran it wide open until the ammo was gone.

Survival Guy 10
03-24-2011, 07:41 PM
1 word AWESOME