PDA

View Full Version : HEY KEN, I just got my permit for dipping out 25 Salmon, yummy Sockeye Salmon.....

Sourdough
06-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Does anyone else get special subsistance rights. Next month I get my free caribou. You guys will like this, I had to drive into Podunk for the permit, the permit is free, and the Federal Government sent Seven (7) Forest Service People to issue......................Seven (7) permits. Each came 90 miles each way in a seperate government car/truck. I'll bet it cost $3,000.00 to issue those 7 free permits. All total I can dip out 70 fresh Salmon this summer.

doug1980
06-09-2010, 10:45 PM
That's pretty cool. I'd like to go on a caribou hunt.... hint hint. lol

Ken
06-09-2010, 11:05 PM
I LOVE fresh salmon. :blushing: THIS IS A JOB FOR Q.C! (Remember, we are your friends! :))

Just got home from dinner - the worst baked stuffed shrimp I've had in a lot of years. :sneaky2:

It was like my very own Indiana State Jambore - dinner was with a doctor from Indiana - my expert witness who goes on the stand tomorrow.

Sourdough
06-09-2010, 11:56 PM
Ken, those babies are going to be "SO" Fresh that they will still have sea lice on them.........Yummy:) But I only get to dip out 25 Sockeye Salmon. The rest (Other 45) have to be other Salmon (YUMMMMM).:)

crashdive123
06-10-2010, 05:25 AM
Do you do any canning for storage over winter?

Rick
06-10-2010, 06:31 AM
Rrrrrriiiiinggggg. "Hello?"
"Hey, George, what's up?"
"Oh, I have to go to Podunk tomorrow to issue 7 permits."
"Yeah? I haven't been out of the office in a while. Hey, here's an idea. What don't I call the gang. We'll go with you to issue those permits and then head over to Anchorage on Uncle Sam's dime?"
"Yeah, that could work. I smell a poker game."
"I'll call everyone."
"Cool".

Sometimes the government doesn't even know.

Sourdough
06-10-2010, 07:07 AM
Do you do any canning for storage over winter?

No, not till I get running water & a bigger Coleman Camp stove. (And a Woman)

BENESSE
06-10-2010, 08:33 AM
No, not till I get running water, a door for the outhouse & a bigger Coleman Camp stove. (And a Woman)

............:sneaky2:

Sourdough
06-10-2010, 01:14 PM
:sailor:
Sourdough,

Where are you going to be dipping?

Just below the waterfalls on the upper Russian River, near Cooper Landing. It is a 3.2 mile hike in, packed nearly solid with Grizzly (Brown Bears). We will pack the butchered salmon out in Back Packs (Around 80# to 100#) I am near 64, and need to cut back on the loads.

Ken
06-10-2010, 04:10 PM
I had a close friend and mentor who was stationed at Elmendorf AFB for several years as an Air Force Sergeant. I believe he was there in the late 60's and early 70's. He REQUESTED duty in Alaska, :cold: and one of his reasons was the salmon dipping.

Later, in civilian life, he trained over 5,000 students in CPR. As fate would have it, he died of a massive heart attack while extricating victims from a car wreck. The local Red Cross named their training facility in his honor.

He was a good man.

Ken
06-10-2010, 07:19 PM
Ken,

Thank for sharing the story and giving honor to your friend.

For me, salmon dipping is food gathering as opposed to fishing. The joy received is the knowledge one is procuring their own resources of fresh/wild/healthy food. Getting out in the open, sharing time with friends, are bonuses. However, it pales with the excitement/peace that comes from fishing with line. Best explained by simple saying some folks will fish with line and catch and release for the joy of it. I've never heard of someone dipping and releasing for the joy of it :)

The most enjoyable dipping/netting I've done is out of a zodiac where we just slowly cruise along with our nets in the water over both sides - and then just haul'em in as they get netted.

Actually, sjj, I typed "dipping" but I should have written "fishing." I heard many a story about the fishing and eating over countless cups of Dunkin Donuts coffee.

BTW, my friend - his name was Joseph Y. Proulx. He was born in 1926 in Fall River, MA, and passed away in the line of duty on July 15, 1979.

Sourdough
06-10-2010, 07:32 PM

BTW, my friend - his name was Joseph Y. Proulx. He was born in 1926 in Fall River, MA, and passed away in the line of duty on July 15, 1979.

WOW, 53 is young. Sorry he is gone.

Justin Case
06-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Christmas eve last year, Food was VERY scarce for me, I expected to go without anything good to eat on Christmas, But,, One of the Neighbors I help out from time to time with little jobs he cannot do , (elderly/walker) Gave me two Jars of Home canned Alaskan Salmon that a friend of his had sent him, and I am here to tell you, It was DELICIOUS !, and, I had never been more thankful for a Christmas meal, I have Had all the traditional dinners before, But That meant more and tasted the best. :)

Rick
06-10-2010, 11:12 PM
When we were in AK we had Salmon all the time fixed about every way it could possibly be fixed. It was fantastic, then it was good, then it was okay, then it was ,"If I ever see another Salmon I'm going to scream". It's been a long time since I've had Salmon.

Ken
06-11-2010, 08:09 AM
Cedar plank grilled almond encrusted wild salmon.......... :blushing:

woodsman86
06-17-2010, 05:39 PM
At the fish hatchery on Joint Base Lewis-McChord, they give away all the salmon they catch for research and eggs. It is not usually publically announced because there is always a line of people with coolers. All they do is harvest the eggs and the head if there is a microchip and then drop 'em in your cooler, no limit within reason. We fed the entire Battalion a barbeque of grilled salmon one year and I always get a few for the smoker. Anybody that is in that area could go to the hatchery as it is on the unfenced portion of the base. You will have to look it up on Google maps and pay attention to the impact area signs; you don’t want to be traveling on the wrong dirt road. I have not heard when it is happening this year but they are usually open in the afternoon for a few hours during spawning season.