PDA

View Full Version : Synthroid dependent?

Quigley
06-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Hi all. This is my first post. I did not see a checking in thread so I guess I will just start here. I recently had my thyroid removed and am now dependent on Synthroid. I did know if any of you had any input on this. I have always been one that likes to prepare for the worst and now I am meds dependent. My doctor does not seem to think that finding synthroid will ever problem but I beg to differ. Any advice on this issue would be helpful.

Justin Case
06-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Hi, Here is the Intro section :) http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

2dumb2kwit
06-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Hi all. This is my first post. I did not see a checking in thread so I guess I will just start here. I recently had my thyroid removed and am now dependent on Synthroid. I did know if any of you had any input on this. I have always been one that likes to prepare for the worst and now I am meds dependent. My doctor does not seem to think that finding synthroid will ever problem but I beg to differ. Any advice on this issue would be helpful.

Q, I don't have any answers, on this subject, but I'm sure someone will be along to help soon. Until then, here is the Intro section.
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14

And y'all be nice to Quigley......even though I'm the one who invited him here.:innocent: LOL

Rick
06-09-2010, 01:30 PM
Sorry, Quigley but if you know 2D then you already have 3 strikes against you.

As for not finding Synthroid it would help to understand why you think that might be a problem. What kind of emergency do you foresee?

By the way, if you go to Synthroid.com you can get a coupon for your med that will save you a couple of bucks.

2dumb2kwit
06-09-2010, 01:52 PM
Sorry, Quigley but if you know 2D then you already have 3 strikes against you.

As for not finding Synthroid it would help to understand why you think that might be a problem. What kind of emergency do you foresee?

By the way, if you go to Synthroid.com you can get a coupon for your med that will save you a couple of bucks.

How about just give him 2 strikes......he and I have never actually met. LOL

Living where he and I live, I'd say that a Katrina type disaster, would be the first to prep for.

Rick
06-09-2010, 02:00 PM
If that's the case then he should talk to his doctor about an additional one month supply that he can keep rotated. I have medication I take daily and that's exactly what I have. It's a good back up too. On rare occasions I've realized I ran too low before re-ordering and have had to go to my backups for a day or two until I could get it refilled.

crashdive123
06-09-2010, 02:04 PM
Docs will prescribe a 3 month supply for some medications. I would think that one you are probably going to be on for the rest of your life would be on that list. Then, similar to Rick's suggestion - refill it about a month early. That way you are sure to have at least an extra 30 day supply on hand.

Rick
06-09-2010, 02:10 PM
'Zactly!!!!

kyratshooter
06-09-2010, 02:21 PM
This is one instance where I say go online and buy in quantity. Half the world is on syntoid. The pharmacy will often give a 90 day supply on the spot.

By some judisious and completely legal maneuvers I secured a 1 year supply of my heart meds. Nothing habit forming or dangerous so there was no problem.

Quigley
06-09-2010, 02:36 PM
Docs will prescribe a 3 month supply for some medications. I would think that one you are probably going to be on for the rest of your life would be on that list. Then, similar to Rick's suggestion - refill it about a month early. That way you are sure to have at least an extra 30 day supply on hand.

I did not realize that I could do that. I thought I had to wait until I ran out. If that will work that would be awesome.

crashdive123
06-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Just explain your concerns to your doctor. They will probably be onboard with the idea.

Wise Old Owl
06-09-2010, 03:22 PM
As a member who lost his thyroid last year, refill your perscription five days early move the five pills into a micro pill container thats water tight and has cotton in it. Keep it in the top of your pack as a backup. This way your insurance will continue to compensate.

Quigley
06-09-2010, 03:31 PM
As a member who lost his thyroid last year, refill your perscription five days early move the five pills into a micro pill container thats water tight and has cotton in it. Keep it in the top of your pack as a backup. This way your insurance will continue to compensate.

I see. That is a good idea. So after one month I have 5 pills and after 2 months I have 10 pills etc. It seems that by doing it this way after one year I will have refilled my prescription 14 times and will have an extra 60 pills. I did not realize that the insurance would cover it this way. So how long until I need to replace the stash?

2dumb2kwit
06-09-2010, 03:34 PM
I see. That is a good idea. So after one month I have 5 pills and after 2 months I have 10 pills etc. It seems that by doing it this way after one year I will have refilled my prescription 14 times and will have an extra 60 pills. I did not realize that the insurance would cover it this way. So how long until I need to replace the stash?

Rotate them. Take the oldest ones, and your stash will always be the freshest ones.

Wise Old Owl
06-09-2010, 03:42 PM
The FDA does advise, however, that to help ensure the best possible potency of your medication, you should store your levothyroxine drugs in a dry place, at room temperature. You should avoid humid or hot conditions -- that means, you should NOT store your levothyroxine in the bathroom. Summertime and hot climates -- as well as the popularity of mail order pharmacies -- raise additional issues. Find out important guidelines on how to protect your thyroid medication from heat damage.

Synthroid is shelf stable up to two years with a potency drop of 5%

BENESSE
06-09-2010, 03:44 PM
Check the expiration date and be mindful of it.

Quigley
06-09-2010, 04:50 PM
Rotate them. Take the oldest ones, and your stash will always be the freshest ones.

Definitely.

Thanks to all for the help. I can tell that I am going to like it here:).

crashdive123
06-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Something else to consider - since they are a prescribed medicine, you may want to keep those that you store in an original, labeled bottle that came from the pharmacy. While I understand that they are not a controlled substance, if stopped by law enforcement it would be one less thing that you had to explain. That, and it would still have the expiration date on it (if you rotate the bottles too).

Ole WV Coot
06-09-2010, 05:25 PM
The wife has taken Synthroid for years and no problem with supply. We have a very understanding Dr with common sense. You will notice a big difference between generic and the real stuff. Crash is correct about the container. Haven't heard of anyone dealing synthroid but anything is possible.

Rick
06-09-2010, 09:55 PM
"Pssst. Dude. Got any Synthroid?"
"What?!"
"Come on, man. I got cash money."

crashdive123
06-09-2010, 10:21 PM
"Pssst. Dude. Got any Synthroid?"
"What?!"
"Come on, man. I got cash money."

It'd just be my luck that I'd end up with levothyroxine sodium instead.

Rick
06-10-2010, 06:41 AM
Quality control is so lacking in the illegal drug trade. Hey! I smell an opportunity for the QC department!

Boker
06-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Oddly enough there is a 'black market', for lack of a better term for Synthroid. Some folks abuse it for weight loss.

2dumb2kwit
06-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Oddly enough there is a 'black market', for lack of a better term for Synthroid. Some folks abuse it for weight loss.

Wait....it helps you lose weight???

Hey Quigley, ummmm.....:innocent: LOL

hunter63
06-22-2010, 11:31 AM
For those that are on long term, have to take them, for any reason, meds are gonna be a serious problem.

Several options are always brought up,(mostly by people that don't need them),... natural substitutes, understanding Dr's (not many around), over-seas bulk meds, (yeah I know, crap shoot no matter what).

Fact is that if your in this boat, long term (longer than a month), with out hope of re-supply, your gonna be sorta screwed.

I feel that a good Dr, that would work with you is the best option for short term emergency. Used to have one that would fix me up with like 6- antibotics, 6 pretty good pain meds, when we headed up the mountains for a couple of weeks, just enough to get your butt out.

I have and still do buy HBP meds from a overseas supplier, and have had good luck so far, but would not profess that anyone else follow this line of action. It's just an option.

I have been pursuing a treatment for gout, thru a Herbalist? results are questionable? ( haven't had it for a while, so does that mean it works?)

I also guessing that a large black market would crop up in a major SHTF.

Tough subject, Good luck.

AdventureDoc
06-24-2010, 02:56 AM
Wow--great info on this thread! I deal with this problem a bit, myself. Not major SHTF issues but lost medications on remote travels in the bush or overseas, etc. All the advice has been "spot on" in my book. To me the keys are: carrying a decent supply in reserve, making sure your supply is well protected (waterproof, crush proof, etc) and rotating the supply for freshness/expire dates. I may also suggest to have two storage sites (two is one, one is none).

For wilderness scenarios, I would advise carrying your estiimated amount for your trip PLUS a second cache with at least 1/2 that amount. This gives you access to your meds while you are extricating yourself and seeking a pharmacy. Being anal-retentive, I would also carry a small "emergency cache" in my survival kit, in addition to this second reserve. 3-5 tablets would suffice, I think.

Specifically with thyroid medications and those without a thyroid...the levels of TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) are not monitored on a daily basis once you have stabilized your dose. In a tough spot, taking one dose every other day will not be optimum but can be seen as better than nothing and make supplies of meds last longer.

Quigley
08-18-2010, 08:20 PM
Thanks to all for the help and responses. I just did a little research and came across this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiccated_thyroid_extract) article. Apparently it is pretty easy to make from desiccated pig (animal) thyroid. I figured I would post this for others use. I am going to print a copy of this and put it in with my survival stuff.

Rick
08-18-2010, 08:31 PM
So that's what I made in the garage.

Aurelius95
08-18-2010, 09:08 PM
My wife is pregnant, and she has been having her thyroid checked every 4 weeks and has had her dosage of synthroid increased every time. After reading the OP a while back, we discussed how she should try to increase her surplus to at least 1 month, possibly 2. Of course, after the bambino arrives, she'll have to have it checked again, and probably have the dosage lowered.