PDA

View Full Version : I have a Wonderful/Great Idea for the forum.

Sourdough
06-07-2010, 09:39 PM
What if there was a way to let members have fun being off subject, etc. However after the thread (Say a scenario thread) ran it's course, it could be locked, and the Original poster could delete the junk/off subject/etc. and end up with a good teaching thread that would be useful to a newbie.

Newbies and lurker's could learn without getting distracted and upset about the tinfoil thongs and our friendly chiding. They could be organized in a new teaching section. They would be locked to the members, but if later it was discovered there was miss information, then a moderator could change the small no longer relevant parts.

In the end we would have had fun, and produced something worthwhile.

tipacanoe
06-07-2010, 10:15 PM
This does sound good. Several times I have searched for things but after a few different entries on what I'm searching for, you end up loosing what you are after.

gryffynklm
06-07-2010, 10:26 PM
I like the idea, I have also had to sort through the chaff in a thread to make sure didn't miss the good stuff. Some times its tedious.

I'm not sure about locking the thread because old threads have been resurrected with new questions or information that has been valuable.

It could be a a bit messy with editing permissions and stuff I have no clue about.

rwc1969
06-08-2010, 12:38 AM
Something along those lines sounds good. There is a lot of good info here, but at times it's quite hard to find.

i like the idea of still being able to resurrect old threads too.

rebel
06-08-2010, 01:22 AM
...or, delete what you want. Take an idea and make it your own. Oh yea, ...

Sourdough
06-08-2010, 01:33 AM
...or, delete what you want. Take an idea and make it your own. Oh yea, ...

Not sure what your point is.....? My point is to make educational/useful threads.

rebel
06-08-2010, 01:38 AM
My point is being the devil's advocate. Who would guard the chickens (geese for you)?

Sourdough
06-08-2010, 01:52 AM
My point is being the devil's advocate. Who would guard the chickens (geese for you)?

Sorry, I still don't understand.....? What does guarding the geese have to do with creating a educational library for newbies and visitors too the forum....? Suggest you reread the ORIGINAL POST.......

rebel
06-08-2010, 01:57 AM
the Original poster could delete

It could work for you but, what about the full moon folks?

Sourdough
06-08-2010, 02:02 AM
It could work for you but, what about the full moon folks?

Well, I don't know any "FULL MOON" folks. Who edits them is unimportant, the goal is useful information, with-out a lot of chit-chat. Kind of a win-win.

rebel
06-08-2010, 02:30 AM
O.K. do it.

Justin Case
06-08-2010, 08:48 AM
I think "Most" of the goofing around happens in the "General Chat" Forum. as it should.

RangerXanatos
06-08-2010, 02:30 PM
I've thought of something similar before. My idea was just to give the Original Poster the ability to delete comments that are off-topic. If the OP deletes valuable information that he/she doesn't agree with, a moderator could restore that info. (Mods do have that power, right?)

Sarge47
06-08-2010, 02:42 PM
I've thought of something similar before. My idea was just to give the Original Poster the ability to delete comments that are off-topic. If the OP deletes valuable information that he/she doesn't agree with, a moderator could restore that info. (Mods do have that power, right?)
Then we have a flame war between members; the one who's post was deleted angry at the deleter. Plus, that power too delete cannot just be aimed at certain posts, it's a "blanket" power that applies to any post on any thread. So some troll goes "delete happy" and wipes out tons of stuff before we can ban them, what then? I'm not going to regulate/restore all of that every time! Just try & behave people! :cool2:

Sourdough
06-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Then we have a flame war between members; the one who's post was deleted angry at the deleter. Plus, that power too delete cannot just be aimed at certain posts, it's a "blanket" power that applies to any post on any thread. So some troll goes "delete happy" and wipes out tons of stuff before we can ban them, what then? I'm not going to regulate/restore all of that every time! Just try & behave people! :cool2:

First: This could be a "NEW" Forum called teaching/learning threads, members would know up front that it was going to be a teaching thread and would be edited, they could post or not post.

Second: I don't care who edits the post, it could be the moderators, the who is not important.......The GOAL is for New Members or Lurkers to be able to get to the meat of what is important. The object is to produce 5 or 10 good condensed threads that are useful learning tools.

Third: This could happen 90 days after thread has died and no one wants to post to it. We are talking about maybe two or three threads per year.

Four: You could keep the Original thread open, just create a closed copy that is edited, and would be a "CHAPTER" in the book.

BENESSE
06-08-2010, 03:45 PM
Well, I could get into Cliff Notes threads of various teaching/tips threads.

crashdive123
06-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Sourdough - I think that has been the goal of sticky's that have been made (for the most part) I don't think that we can't sticky every good thread, and I know that is not what you are asking. I've got no problem copying a thread, deleting the frivolity, and posting it for others to learn from. The problem with that though is that as new threads in that sub forum are created, or old ones are commented on - the teaching/learning thread that has been closed becomes buried (remember - threads with newest posts to the top).

I do like the idea of valuable information being readily available, and sometimes I am not the most proficient with the search function of v-bulletin board, but I just don't see a way to mechanize it in the manner in which I think you envision.

I know that some forums are really particular about staying on topic. Some, so much so that to deviate is a banable offense. I know that is not what you are suggesting. I don't think the mods should be the arbiters of what gets posted or is pertinent, as that would lead to a lot of discontent IMO. As JIC said, most of our frivolity (not all) takes place in the General Chat section.

BENESSE
06-08-2010, 05:29 PM
I know that some forums are really particular about staying on topic. Some, so much so that to deviate is a banable offense. I know that is not what you are suggesting. I don't think the mods should be the arbiters of what gets posted or is pertinent, as that would lead to a lot of discontent IMO. As JIC said, most of our frivolity (not all) takes place in the General Chat section.

Surely we don't want to become a "nanny forum" do we?

crashdive123
06-08-2010, 05:32 PM
No we don't, and I don't think that is being suggested. I'm just not sure if the mechanics of the forum will achieve the goal that some are seeking.

Sourdough
06-08-2010, 06:08 PM
I am just NOT getting this communicated. Pretend you have never ever thought about wilderness survival, NEVER, NEVER. Something happens in your life, and you find this forum. Woo pie. What if after you register or log on for the first 5 times, You get sent to "Basic Survival School". They don't have to read it, but it would have 10 Chapters. Like "If you live in New York City or L.A. survival Tips" another chapter might be: "Economic survival for the poor/cash short/unemployed & how to save your credit". We have so much too offer.

THE FORUM WOULD STAY THE SAME & We would write a quick reference book.

BENESSE
06-08-2010, 06:12 PM
Sourdough, I like it!

rebel
06-08-2010, 06:13 PM
What about the the wilderness survival home page?http://www.wilderness-survival.net/

Justin Case
06-08-2010, 06:18 PM
What about the the wilderness survival home page?http://www.wilderness-survival.net/

WOW, Thats pretty Complete ! I haven't even looked at that before, I came straight into the forums.

Sourdough
06-08-2010, 06:20 PM
WOW, Thats pretty Complete ! I haven't even looked at that before, I came straight into the forums.

I have never seen it either, does it have a section on "Bugging IN NYC/L.A."

BENESSE
06-08-2010, 06:33 PM
I have never seen it either, does it have a section on "Bugging IN NYC/L.A."

No it doesn't--that's how I got to join the forum. But I did take that test on the home pg. and didn't distinguish myself. Did get hooked, however.

crashdive123
06-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Sourdough - here's a thought. There are a lot of really great blogs (and some, not so much). The problem is that they are not the easiest thing to search out. What about using the Social Groups section? Maybe multiple groups. One for financial advice, one for big city prepping, rural prepping, and on and on. At least things would be in a neat package and located in one spot. Posts that are "worthy" could be copied and placed in the appropriate social group.

It's not really what it is intended for, but short of programming changes, I don't know how else to work what you are suggesting.

Sourdough
06-08-2010, 07:24 PM
It's not really what it is intended for, but short of programming changes, I don't know how else to work what you are suggesting.

As you know I don't know squat about computers. But, why not a new Closed/Locked Sub-Forum titled........"Getting Started/Start Here for Basics"

crashdive123
06-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Only Chris can add/change sub forums.

justin_baker
06-08-2010, 07:54 PM
Cool idea, but you should take this up with vBulliten. They are the ones who programmed the system of forums on this site, the mods just use the program to personalize it. All vBulliten sites are similar in the way they work.

Rick
06-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Actually, the forum sections can be added and deleted at will. The way the code works within vBulletin is what they control. I think that's what you meant. And you're correct. vBulletin is vBulletin regardless of where it is used. Unless an owner adds hacks to give it some personal flavor the code is the same (with regard to Version #).

Sarge47
06-08-2010, 11:24 PM
We also need to remember that our levity also draws new members in. They see the joking & such & don't feel like they're going to be ripped apart by everybody because they didn't know much about the subject of survival. :cool2:

Sourdough
06-08-2010, 11:53 PM
We also need to remember that our levity also draws new members in. They see the joking & such & don't feel like they're going to be ripped apart by everybody because they didn't know much about the subject of survival. :cool2:

Sarge47, I agree, that is a large attraction, very good point.

BENESSE
06-09-2010, 12:08 AM
Just to add to Sarge...
At first, it was hard to follow any time the thread degenerated to an insider's type of repartee. But the advice was so smart and the sentiment so genuine that I just stuck it out. In time I learned who's who and figured there was an appreciation for a third grade humor I'm often accused of but don't often encounter in my day-to-day dealings. I'd hate to see a change in the forum now that I'm finally caught up and having fun.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. And it ain't broke.

rwc1969
06-10-2010, 09:48 AM
.... They see the joking & such & don't feel like they're going to be ripped apart by everybody because they didn't know much about the subject of survival. :cool2:

HAHAHAhahaha!

Sarge47
06-10-2010, 11:06 AM
HAHAHAhahaha!See? Even RW agrees! :sneaky2: :innocent:

Chris
06-10-2010, 11:10 PM
Sounds to me like sourdough wants a wiki.

I too want a wiki.

The idea of mods going back after a thread dies out and editing out crap is too much work for what I pay them. That isn't going to happen.

As soon as the software allows something, like a wiki though, it will be created.

Sourdough
06-10-2010, 11:29 PM

I too want a wiki.

The idea of mods going back after a thread dies out and editing out crap is too much work for what I pay them. That isn't going to happen.

As soon as the software allows something, like a wiki though, it will be created.

Ok, But any chance we could cheat the Administrator, and pay the real worker, (Moderators) an lot more. :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:

Rick
06-11-2010, 06:43 AM
Another question like that and your green thingies will turn red real quick. Cheat the Admin., indeed.

crashdive123
06-11-2010, 07:03 AM
Ok, But any chance we could cheat the Administrator, and pay the real worker, (Moderators) an lot more. :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:

Tried to give you some rep, but I gotta spread the love.:innocent:

Sarge47
06-11-2010, 08:23 AM
Ok, But any chance we could cheat the Administrator, and pay the real worker, (Moderators) an lot more. :innocent::innocent::innocent::innocent:Oh man, that's really cold, that's harsh dude! I mean "stiff" the admin.? Are you joking? Um, how much are we talking about here? :sneaky2: :innocent:

Rick
06-11-2010, 10:27 AM
I've never banned a mod. Always a first time I guess.

Justin Case
06-11-2010, 10:34 AM

I too want a wiki.

Here's one , http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=189446&highlight=mod+wiki

Rick
06-11-2010, 12:00 PM
There are a few around. Vaultwiki is one. Mediawiki is another and vbSEO is a commercial one.

Chris
06-17-2010, 12:51 PM
The problem with third party mods to be integrated into the forum is you lose them on updates, or you could end up with inconsistencies. When vbulletin created their blog system for instance everyone with a third party blog mod ended up having to figure out how to do an import.

I think they will release an official core wiki eventually, which is what I prefer to waitfor.

kyratshooter
08-08-2010, 04:24 AM
You mean there's information available here?

Where? When did that happen?

crashdive123
08-08-2010, 06:37 AM
Shhhhhhhh. It's a secret.