PDA

View Full Version : Zodiac with 20 HP Honda

Alaskan Survivalist
06-06-2010, 01:38 AM
I could not put off breaking in new motor and testing it any longer, leaving for Yukon river tomorrow. I forgot to bring GPS to determine speed but it's fast! Made a little video. I should be back around the 15th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S435ujo7Fe0

Pal334
06-06-2010, 05:14 AM
Looks like plenty of horsepower. That wake you crossed looked a bit exciting :)

crashdive123
06-06-2010, 06:14 AM
Looks great. Have fun on the trip.

Camp10
06-06-2010, 07:41 AM
Looks like a blast, have a great trip! I havnt found much need to test a Honda though...they work always. I think you just wanted to play a little!:innocent: Bring back some pictures!

2dumb2kwit
06-06-2010, 08:32 AM
Looks great. Have you worked out how much run time you have, with 12.5 gallons of gas?

COWBOYSURVIVAL
06-06-2010, 08:43 AM
Looked a little Hairy crossing that wake! Careful. Last time I did that with my 40 hp. boat landed a little awkward and the tiller handle snapped off in my hand. Wide open throttle and no control. I was also thrown from the boat...Make sure you wear the kill switch fob!

Justin Case
06-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Dang, That does look Fast !

Alaskan Survivalist
06-06-2010, 09:45 AM
Camp, I have always had good service out of Honda's but there is a break in recomended and the maximum motor for boat listed was 15 HP and 99 pounds. At 20 HP and 102.5 pounds I am pushing limits a bit and I will be running rapids and need to know handling characteristics before I get there. 2D2K, I used about an 1/8 of a 3.5 gal tank so I'm thinking it will have good range. I'll know more when I have more time using it but rough guess about 25 hours of running time. CS, I have been in 6 foot seas in this little boat and believe me I slow down in rough water and take each wave one at a time. That wake was not that big and caught me a bit by surprize, my 5 HP never pushed the boat that fast before. My biggest concern was that with more weight in stern I would be taking water over stern and in really rough seas you need to tack like a sailboat and make hard turns shutting down throttle, turning motor and giving full power. With out stabilizer I'm sure there would be enough power to capsize boat with that manuever but had no problem. If I go out in heavy seas I will still be using 5 HP but I can out run most weather with this motor and it handled much better than I anticipated and would handle rough seas I would just get wetter. This is last post for a while and I will be taking pictures and maybe another video if battery holds up. It will be fun but I'll be missing out on all the fun around here.

Justin Case
06-06-2010, 09:57 AM
Have a good Time ! :)

Alaskan Survivalist
06-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Have a good Time ! :)

Thanks, really last post this time , I'm out the door.