PDA

View Full Version : bandanna

corndog-44
12-17-2007, 10:29 AM
How many here wears a bandanna around their neck when out in the woods? It has more uses than almost anything else I own. No mere ornament, this square of red cloth is my unofficial flag.

As s first-aid device, it makes a fine tourniquet, bandage and sling. In cold weather, it serves as earmuffs. In hot weather, it keeps the sun from the back of the neck; placed wet under a hat, it cools the head. In a windstorm it can be worn as a mask. By placing it on the ground and laying your ear on it, you can hear distant sounds. In a pinch, the bandanna can become a rope to tie a bad man's hands.

Sarge47
12-17-2007, 10:37 AM
How many here wears a bandanna around their neck when out in the woods? It has more uses than almost anything else I own. No mere ornament, this square of red cloth is my unofficial flag.

As s first-aid device, it makes a fine tourniquet, bandage and sling. In cold weather, it serves as earmuffs. In hot weather, it keeps the sun from the back of the neck; placed wet under a hat, it cools the head. In a windstorm it can be worn as a mask. By placing it on the ground and laying your ear on it, you can hear distant sounds. In a pinch, the bandanna can become a rope to tie a bad man's hands.

Where ya been, Corndog? :eek: Check this thread out:

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=1071

The Bandana is just one of the many items we're covering.:cool:

corndog-44
12-17-2007, 05:37 PM
Do you know the "Vanishing Bandanna" trick that was performed by David Copperfield? Here's the addy: http://www.thisismagic.com/html/vanishing_bandanna.html

One more use for the bandanna :).

Sarge47
12-17-2007, 06:03 PM
Do you know the "Vanishing Bandanna" trick that was performed by David Copperfield? Here's the addy: http://www.thisismagic.com/html/vanishing_bandanna.html

One more use for the bandanna :).

But if they're using a "Devil's Hankerchief" I already know how it's done! BTW, hope David still remembers how to get out of handcuffs.:rolleyes:

tfisher
12-17-2007, 06:32 PM
I use a drive on rag or a recon wrap

corndog-44
12-17-2007, 08:46 PM
But if they're using a "Devil's Hankerchief" I already know how it's done! BTW, hope David still remembers how to get out of handcuffs.:rolleyes:

He's going to have to pull a neat trick to get out of the jam he's in. What do you think of his claim that he found the "Fountain of Youth" in the southern Bahamas?

Sarge47
12-17-2007, 10:53 PM
He's going to have to pull a neat trick to get out of the jam he's in. What do you think of his claim that he found the "Fountain of Youth" in the southern Bahamas?

I thought the "Fountain of Youth" was found by Dick Clark! Oh well, It'd make a great TV special for David Copperfield...hmmm both he and Dick Clark have the same initials, wow!:confused:

corndog-44
12-18-2007, 12:13 AM
At the Bandanna Club at this addy: http://www.bandannaclub.com/Tie-Bandanna.shtml they have good instructions on how to tie a bandanna on the head.

corndog-44
12-18-2007, 12:38 AM
I thought the "Fountain of Youth" was found by Dick Clark! Oh well, It'd make a great TV special for David Copperfield...hmmm both he and Dick Clark have the same initials, wow!:confused:

Dick Clark...He's older than me but it wasn't long that I looked older than him :D.

As I said, the "Fountain of Youth" is in the southern Bahamas. And located amid a cluster of four tiny islands called Musha Cay, which David had purchased on July 14th, 2006. He claims that the water brings dead leaves back to life, and brings near dead insects back to life. He said he has hired biologists and geologists to examine its potential effect on humans. Sounds like he is preparing for his next illusion.

Jay
12-18-2007, 12:55 AM
[QUOTE=corndog-44;15444]How many here wears a bandanna around their neck when out in the woods? It has more uses than almost anything else I own. No mere ornament, this square of red cloth is my unofficial flag.

I rarely use a hat or cap in the jungle. I use one of three camo patterned bandanas. In addition to all the uses listed in this and the other thread, it offers a certain amount of protection but most importantly it doesn't interfere with or block my peripherial vision.

It has almost become my signature too.

Sarge47
12-18-2007, 11:04 AM
I can fully agree that a bandana is great for a head covering in the jungle. It can keep mites, ticks, & other undesirables out of your hair/off of your head. In the woods I wear a felt full-brimmed hat, the reason being that it has more uses than just covering the head. One use in particular is fanning a spark into a full blaze when starting a fire. I also carry several bandanas so I would have one if I ever needed one for a head covering. My signature hat is a red beret and very seldom worn out in the woods.:cool:

corndog-44
12-18-2007, 12:22 PM
Bandannas as a headwear have been around since the hippies in the 1960's. They tied a bandanna around their head, put on their bell bottoms and they were ready to go. The same style lives on today. Wearing a bandanna on the head can prevent perspiration running into the eyes. And it can also be fashioned into a headband that simply wraps around the forehead and ties in back.

Rick
12-18-2007, 12:48 PM
Man! You guys put me to the task. I had to look and look to find this old 60s era picture of me on the beach. Yeah, I know. I've changed a bit since the "good old days".

http://growabrain.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/bandana.jpg

By the way, my signature is....almost unreadable. :D

sh4d0wm4573ri7
12-18-2007, 01:42 PM
I dont usually wear one unless its real hot but there is always 2 readily available in my kit and yes its uses are endless

corndog-44
12-18-2007, 01:55 PM
Man! You guys put me to the task. I had to look and look to find this old 60s era picture of me on the beach. Yeah, I know. I've changed a bit since the "good old days".

http://growabrain.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/bandana.jpg

By the way, my signature is....almost unreadable. :D

Swingin' Chicks of the 60s :D. Before the hippies...the beatniks:rolleyes:.

Rick
12-18-2007, 02:05 PM
Like, I can dig it, daddy o. Those urban cats are so squaresville. My role model was Manard G. Krebbs. (By the way, the G. stood for Walter. True. He was named after his aunt.) I'll bet most of the folks on here think scat is something you find in the woods. Oh, and before the beatniks? ..... Hipsters. Oh, yea.

corndog-44
12-18-2007, 02:06 PM
I dont usually wear one unless its real hot but there is always 2 readily available in my kit and yes its uses are endless

In the backwoods a bandanna can also be used as a strainer to remove debris from water before boiling it.

Rick
12-18-2007, 02:17 PM
Here's a guy that put pockets on his bandana.

http://www.alpharubicon.com/prepinfo/bandanarollinghitch.htm

corndog-44
12-18-2007, 02:35 PM
Rick, that was an interesting article. Thanks for the addy.

Beo
12-18-2007, 02:55 PM
Dude you needed to go to some bandana club (stupid club but just my opinion) to learn to tie a bandana? lol... I got swamp... er... fine beach property for ya in florida. :D

corndog-44
12-18-2007, 03:04 PM
Like, I can dig it, daddy o. Those urban cats are so squaresville. My role model was Manard G. Krebbs. (By the way, the G. stood for Walter. True. He was named after his aunt.) I'll bet most of the folks on here think scat is something you find in the woods. Oh, and before the beatniks? ..... Hipsters. Oh, yea.

Back in the late fifties I thought the beatniks were the funkiest things around and they fascinated me. I listened to their beat poetry and jargon. I even tried to wade my way through the beats’ bible, On The Road, by Jack Kerouac. I bet not many people knows what a Beatnik was like, let alone a hipster which was before my time.

corndog-44
12-18-2007, 03:12 PM
Dude you needed to go to some bandana club (stupid club but just my opinion) to learn to tie a bandana? lol... I got swamp... er... fine beach property for ya in florida. :D

Hark! A voice from the wilderness. What's old is new to the youth on this forum.

Beo
12-18-2007, 03:53 PM
I'm only 42 damn, and thanks for hearing my lowly voice in the wilderness. BTW great advice on a window sticker I loved it.

corndog-44
12-18-2007, 05:48 PM
Beowulf you gave some good advice about the design and Chris ran with them and came up with good looking sticker. I gotta hurry and get my order in :).

Borelli
12-19-2007, 03:06 AM
I use a drive on rag or a recon wrap

The recon wrap is the ****!!!!!

You can buy this wonderful item that i personally wear as a casual item at

uscav.com

FVR
12-19-2007, 09:58 PM
Wow, to think I've been wearing a bandanna since, ah, well I started when I was 16. I'm 44 now and I never made it to the club. Hmmmmm.....

Is there a website to teach me how to put my hair in a pony tail?

Note, don't use rubber bands as they will pull your hair out. I use one of my daughters pony tail thingys, in green, brown, or black.

Recon wrap, that is what we did in the desert. Although we did not use bandannas, we used the first aide sling wraps, they were big and green. You could wrap your head, face, all the way down past your neck. Stick on the boonie cap and your set.

Now, when we visited the Stumps, we just used our head wraps, no covers. He ll, we were Recon and at that time, we could get away with it.

Wow, 18.00 bucks for a green cammy sling. LOL.

pgvoutdoors
12-20-2007, 12:56 AM
I still use a military triangle bandage that comes in the First Aid kit. I wrap it around my head, neck, or at times tied to a hiking stave so that I can use it to wipe my face. I like to wash mine a few times before using it, there a little rough until washed.

Borelli
12-27-2007, 02:22 AM
Wow, 18.00 bucks for a green cammy sling. LOL.[/QUOTE]

it is definetly worth it.......it has great thermal properies while still being breathable......i have to reccomend it to the wolf pack it is a great buy since it has multiple functions and is a casual apparel for our soldiers in iraq....oh by the way it is more of a sleeve than a sling

Nativedude
12-30-2007, 08:12 PM
I wear a bandana on a daily basis. Have for the last 25 or so years. I have several 100% silk bandanas. They keep me cool in the summer and warm in the winter. I wear one under my wool cap in the winter for the ultimate warmth combo.

If I get too warm (while working) I can take my wool cap off and my head remains warm with the silk bandana on, yet it allows me to cool off so I don't get too overheated. ;)

They are big enough to work as a sling -- in the event I should need one, but hopefully not! :( ;)