PDA

View Full Version : Water Well PUMP Installation...How hard can it be.....???

Sourdough
06-01-2010, 06:22 PM
Any one want to walk me through the installation of a water well pump, including underwater wireing......?

Camp10
06-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Any one want to walk me through the installation of a water well pump, including underwater wireing......?

What type of well and how deep?

Ken
06-01-2010, 06:41 PM

The pump should come pre-wired with a long enough power cord to reach from the base of the well to your power source. Simply attach a long enough water line and lower it into the well shaft. Remember to seal the top of the shaft properly to avoid contamination. I wouldn't recommend using anything other than a well pump - a regular pump won't do the job properly.

The power line should be UG for it's entire length. 18 inches below the surface is more than deep enough.

If you haven't already purchased the pump, make sure it is configured for optimum flow and pressure for the depth of the well. Volume and pressure are a trade-off.

Sourdough
06-01-2010, 07:00 PM
What type of well and how deep?

Depth: 66 feet top of 6" casing to bottom

Pit-less is 13' down from the Top of the 6" casing.

Water depth: 40 feet deep or the top of the water is 26' down from the top of the casing.

The PUMP is a Myers # 3NFL52-5 (230 Volt, 1/2 H.P. 3-wire, 1-Phase, 5 Gallons Per Minute)

The 1" copper waterline is 115 feet from the pit-less to the pressure tank.

Note: The only thing that will be new to me is the sealing of the under water electrical connections of the 3-wires. That said there may be things I may not know that I don't Know I don't know....:innocent:

Ken
06-01-2010, 07:04 PM
That's an 11 stage pump. Sould give you some pretty good pressure.

Did it come pre-wired?

Camp10
06-01-2010, 07:05 PM
Depth: 66 feet top of 6" casing to bottom

Pit-less is 13' down from the Top of the 6" casing.

Water depth: 40 feet deep or the top of the water is 26' down from the top of the casing.

The PUMP is a Myers # 3NFL52-5 (230 Volt, 1/2 H.P. 3-wire, 1-Phase, 5 Gallons Per Minute)

The 1" copper waterline is 115 feet from the pit-less to the pressure tank.

Note: The only thing that will be new to me is the sealing of the under water electrical connections of the 3-wires. That said there may be things I may not know that I don't Know I don't know....:innocent:

So your only pulling out roughly 13' of pipe? Usually the wires are just soldered and shrink tubed.

randyt
06-01-2010, 07:08 PM
if you're talking about a submersible pump the depth and size of the well casing is really needed. most residential wells have a 5 inch casing. the pump drops down casing with a drop pipe the drop pipe ties into a pitless adapter. the pitless adapter keeps the water pip below frost level and ties into the supply pipe going into the cabin. the wiring is a special wire that is taped to the drop pipe and at the pump it is sliced with a waterproof seal kit. the water proof seal kit is butt splices with special heat shrink tubing. the depth is the limiting factor, it can be a challenge for a couple guys to drop down a pump when the well is over 125 to 150 feet. we use 160 pound poly for a drop pipe and the poly can be bent over (with out kinking) at the well head. it's not that hard once a fella know what needs to be done. we have installed many over the years.

Ken
06-01-2010, 07:09 PM
I would solder and use a sealant. G.E. manufactured a waterproof electrical sealant in a small tube.

randyt
06-01-2010, 07:11 PM
sounds like a easy deal, have your pump and well cap at 55 feet total length and your pitless lined up. less than a couple hour job.

crashdive123
06-01-2010, 07:13 PM
sounds like a easy deal, have your pump and well cap at 55 feet total length and your pitless lined up. less than a couple hour job.

I'll bet that Sourdough would loan you a sleeping bag or tent if you attended the Alaska Jamboree.:innocent:

randyt
06-01-2010, 07:14 PM
i would use the pump manufacturer recommended splice kits. i've used a lots of them with out a failure.

randyt
06-01-2010, 07:15 PM
I'll bet that Sourdough would loan you a sleeping bag or tent if you attended the Alaska Jamboree.:innocent:

i wish i could make. i'd be happy to help out. this is what i've done for 25 years.

Sourdough
06-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Thank You, everyone.

preachtheWORD
06-02-2010, 03:21 PM
I would reccomend getting a torque arrestor or two. These are rubber things that keep the pump from causing the water line and wires to twist when the pump turns on. It will extend the pump life and keep the wires from getting kinked or worn when the pump kicks on. You should be able to get one from the same place you got the pump.