PDA

View Full Version : Good bread and potato mixes over 6 yrs. expired

linkmissing
05-31-2010, 11:37 AM
Sorry, the thread title says "over 6 yrs. old, I meant to say "over 6 yrs expired!"

Thought it might interest you....

Last night I cooked up another batch of way over expired bisquit mix. Exp. April '04. It was still good. It was the cheddar and garlic Betty Crocker Bisquick Complete. Just add water. In the past I'd thrown them out, but recently I've tried just cooking them and they are fine.

WARNING: I checked online first to see if it was okay and the consensus is that if it is packed in plastic or foil original packaging, its safe but if in cardboard box or accessible to outside air it could develop mouldy flour that is dangerous to people with mold allergies. So only keep the sealed packages.
99c store here I come.

I also found a couple #10 cans of powdered potatoes I had bought from Smart and Final over 10 yrs ago. We're on the 2nd can now and it's been fine. It is much cheaper at Smart and Final than any other company and you get more servings per can. Just add water.

I know some of you will say, "why are'nt you rotating?" I have so much stuff that I've built over the yrs. that many get by me. And yes, I do have a storage calc.

That's just me.

nell67
05-31-2010, 11:44 AM
I go an Amish bent and dent store,and purchase items all the time,some are expired,some are not,get the Betty Crocker boxed items for 40 cents,rarely pay much more than that for any thing in the store,soft drinks are 40 cents for cans of name brand (cold) and bottle are 60 cents.

What I really love getting there is their smoked cheddar bricks,2.5 pounds for$6.95 good stuff!

nell67
05-31-2010, 12:06 PM
Here is an old thread that mentions the safety of using Bisquick,cake mixes and flour,etc. after the expirey dates.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6766&highlight=bisquick

linkmissing
05-31-2010, 12:24 PM
[QUOTE=linkmissing;224456]Sorry, the thread title says "over 6 yrs. old, I meant to say "over 6 yrs expired!"

WARNING: I checked online first to see if it was okay and the consensus is that if it is packed in plastic or foil original packaging, its safe but if in cardboard box or accessible to outside air it could develop mouldy flour that is dangerous to people with mold allergies. So only keep the sealed packages.
99c store here I come.

I already mentioned that. If it is sealed and not exposed to the outside, the spores do not get in. And it typically (even tho still rare) are the people who have allergies to mold.

crashdive123
05-31-2010, 12:29 PM
I fixed the title for you LM.

linkmissing
05-31-2010, 12:31 PM
Thanks CD, I didn't know how to.

nell67
05-31-2010, 12:42 PM
[quote=linkmissing;224456]Sorry, the thread title says "over 6 yrs. old, I meant to say "over 6 yrs expired!"

99c store here I come.

I already mentioned that. If it is sealed and not exposed to the outside, the spores do not get in. And it typically (even tho still rare) are the people who have allergies to mold.
And I was just validating what you said,with a link to another thread that mentions what you said,not stepping on your toes,just putting the info in one spot for anyone else out there who may want to know.

linkmissing
05-31-2010, 12:55 PM
Oh...sorry Nel, I thought you missed it.:tongue_smilie:

Rick
05-31-2010, 01:02 PM
You're probably going to loose some flavor as well as some nutrition but otherwise it should be just fine. My wife would just shake her head, however.

nell67
05-31-2010, 01:07 PM
Oh...sorry Nel, I thought you missed it.:tongue_smilie:
No problem LM,always good to keep good info in one spot,especially when safety is involved,just like with the wild edibles,it's nice to have it brought to our attention from time to time.

Rep given.

linkmissing
05-31-2010, 01:13 PM
I go an Amish bent and dent store,and purchase items all the time,some are expired,some are not,get the Betty Crocker boxed items for 40 cents,rarely pay much more than that for any thing in the store,soft drinks are 40 cents for cans of name brand (cold) and bottle are 60 cents.

What I really love getting there is their smoked cheddar bricks,2.5 pounds for$6.95 good stuff!

In S. Calif. I've never seen an Amish store. We probably don't have them here. That's my kinda store. Sounds great.

rwc1969
06-01-2010, 03:01 PM
if it weren't for expired food I'd go hungry a lot. Only thing I watch very closely is canned goods, if the lining is worn off or no longer sealed.

Opened an old can of green beans oce and WHOA! it wasn't pretty.