PDA

View Full Version : Cooking Food

WildGoth
04-24-2007, 03:31 AM
some of my friends and me are camping any suggestion on what kind of natural food and other such we should bring with us i live in the hudson valley portion of new york

bear
04-25-2007, 04:48 PM
If it is this spring you could always catch fish and pick wild greens or mushrooms. We are finding a few mushrooms here.

WildGoth
04-25-2007, 06:05 PM
thanks alot for the tip

wareagle69
07-25-2007, 05:54 PM
i would suggest finding an expert in wild edibles to study inder especially with the shrooms

Fog_Harbor
07-30-2007, 08:51 PM
Yeah, if you aren't trained in wild edibles, stick with hunting and fishing, you'll stay healthy longer to enjoy it.

trax
07-31-2007, 02:24 PM
Hey!

I know some mushrooms you can try and you can make your entire journey without getting off your butt:D :D :D :D Just kidding, everyone calm down, I've (ahem) heard that there's mushrooms like that out there somewhere.

rusty_oxydado
07-31-2007, 02:37 PM
How about salt and pepper to season your food, maybe some dry mixes to have in addition to what goods you find along the trail.
I sometimes do a baggy batch of hotcake batter, just add a bit of water, mix to consistancy, toss in a handfull of wild berries and cook in an oiled skillet, gives you a cross between a hotcake and a muffin.

wareagle69
07-31-2007, 05:15 PM
study study study study oh and maybe study.

learn and seek knowledge from a experienced woodsman or women.

always be prepared

Strider
07-31-2007, 07:13 PM
I recommend the light "just add water" type of things. I use these little packs of Ramen Noodles, and they really fill you up and give you some energy. They are like 14 cents for one... not bad. Then, maybe take a bottle of h2o purification tablets for the water if you don't wanna carry much. Lastly, maybe take some trail mixes or beef jerky or something like that for when you're on the move.

Strider
07-31-2007, 07:15 PM
Oh, i forgot... I don't recommend mushrooms... a lot are poisonous. I know a bunch from experience that are edible in my parts. I think you ought to read up on edible plants if you wish to travel light.