PDA

View Full Version : Two Accidents, 20 Miles Apart

Ken
05-27-2010, 12:08 PM
I've been commuting to the Boston area, on and off, for over 30 years, and for the last few weeks, work has brought me to a town about 15 miles north of Boston everyday. [This is the same area I'd have to travel through to get to New Hampshire or Maine, where I have a couple of pre-arranged bugout locations (vacation homes of relatives/close friends)].

My experience over the last few weeks has reinforced my thoughts about the virtual impossibility of bugging out any great distance in any type of looming widespread disaster. As I sat behind the wheel, I kept thinking about the images of endless traffic jams before Hurricane Katrina struck.

25 years ago, traffic backups in this area were terrible. Today, even with the Big Dig completed, things are twice as bad ON A GOOD DAY.

Just yesterday, two accidents, over 20 miles apart, brought all traffic heading North to a virtual standstill. The voice of the guy in the traffic helicopter said it all: "It's a mess everywhere." And I'm wondering just what percentage of registered vehicles in the eastern part of the state are actually on these roads. Was it 2%? Maybe 5% at most?

There are 3 highways that run South to North, and 2 accidents jammed them all up for hours yesterday.

Rt. 495-N was stopped in for over 25 miles due to a tractor trailer rollover. Rt. 1-N through Boston (which is also Rt. 93-N AND Rt. 3-N) was stopped for it's entire length due to an accident in the tunnel. Rt. 95-N (which is also Rt 128-N AND Rt. 93-S) was stopped for 30 miles, due to the jam at the 495 off ramps and the traffic that headed that way to avoid the Boston back-up. And to make things even more fun, Rt. 24, which was part of my commute, was stopped for 10 miles before the Rt. 128-93 split.

http://www.emochila.com/sb/pics/cdaly/702/daly-map.jpg

This was a "normal" commuting day. Similar events took place on most other days as well. A 66 mile commute often took over 3 hours.

So let's say that we only had a few hours notice of a looming disaster expected to hit the coastal areas southeastern New England. Something like this: http://www.rense.com/general56/tsu.htm Heading North is the only option.

However, what would those roads look like with 20 or even 50 times as much traffic on them? People normally drive like maniacs. Imagine if they were trying to outrun a disaster on its way - something well beyond the magnitude of Katrina - like a Mega-Tsunami.

Escape seems virtually impossible. Bugging out just isn't a viable option.

justin_baker
05-27-2010, 12:17 PM
You could always go on foot or on bike.

Old GI
05-27-2010, 02:43 PM
As a very young child, my family lived in Westwood in the early '50s. I recall bad traffic then and know it's much, much worse now.

Ole WV Coot
05-27-2010, 04:44 PM
I made the drive from the Quantico, VA area to downtown DC for 16years on I-95. I have driven it many times to ME and I agree. It was the only way into DC and when I worked until 8am and headed South traffic would be stopped for 35+ miles where I cut off. My neighbor would leave home at 5:30am and I would see him in traffic 4 miles from home at 9am, and this was in the mid '70s. It is much worse now, I only drive that route seldom and never today.

your_comforting_company
05-27-2010, 05:11 PM
It takes quite some resolve to decide to stay put (or nearby) knowing you couldn't get out even in a disaster.
I'm glad I live out in the country. There are probably more people in your office building, than in this whole county.

crashdive123
05-27-2010, 05:29 PM
I made the drive from the Quantico, VA area to downtown DC for 16years on I-95. I have driven it many times to ME and I agree. It was the only way into DC and when I worked until 8am and headed South traffic would be stopped for 35+ miles where I cut off. My neighbor would leave home at 5:30am and I would see him in traffic 4 miles from home at 9am, and this was in the mid '70s. It is much worse now, I only drive that route seldom and never today.

How did you like that merge where it went from about 30 lanes (at least it seemed that way) to one?

BENESSE
05-27-2010, 06:36 PM
Escape seems virtually impossible. Bugging out just isn't a viable option.

Same scenario here...only worse.
If there is a bright side, it's that it simplifies things a bit.

Swamprat1958
05-27-2010, 07:55 PM
That is one of the reasons I refuse to live in a big metropolitan area. Even though I plan to Bug In, there are multiple routes (mostly chip & seal or gravel roads) I could take heading north if I had to get out. I try to check out the backroads as often as I can looking at alternatives.

Rick
05-27-2010, 08:07 PM
You put your left foot in, you take your left foot out....

huntermj
05-27-2010, 08:33 PM
In my "hood/shire" three cars is a traffic jam. Mostly because of people stopping to talk in the road, from car to car.

hunter63
05-27-2010, 09:08 PM
In my "hood/shire" three cars is a traffic jam. Mostly because of people stopping to talk in the road, from car to car.

At "The Place" those cars might be Amish buggies.

My concern in the city place is routes out of town, in flooding conditions flood a couple of main roads.
Highway construction had closed down several more, but have been opening up lately.

GOoD, routes are something I watch pretty close.

2dumb2kwit
05-27-2010, 09:08 PM
When I get to work, depending on where the job-site is, I have to deal with city traffic. That's the Norfolk, or Virginia Beach, Va. area. I try not to work in Hampton, or Newport News. That is what we call, "on the other side of the water. LOL To go there you have to deal with a bridge, or one of two tunnels. Traffic there can be a real nightmare.

Now...where I live....if you get a few miles from town, folks still wave to each other, when they pass another vehicle.:tongue_smilie:

Sarge47
05-27-2010, 09:11 PM
....it pays to know those back roads. We don't have much interstate around here, just 2-lane highways & plenty of back roads. :cool2:

kyratshooter
05-27-2010, 10:00 PM
I live outside Cincinnati and listen to the traffic reports every evening and laugh. Today there was a backup 15 miles long that lasted for 6 hours.

Secondary roads, Good luck! They were all backed up with the expressway overflow.

In a major urban area you are not going anywhere.

The only well organized evac I have ever seen was done down in SC for a hurricane evac. Interstate was shut down for incomming traffic. All lanes were going OUT of town. Disabbled cars shoved to the sholder and traffic flow given prority.

Ole WV Coot
05-27-2010, 10:59 PM
How did you like that merge where it went from about 30 lanes (at least it seemed that way) to one?

It was a test of reflexes at the "mixing bowl" but I must admit the loop around Boston during rush hour is faster and neither is a decent place to live or drive. Back to the Hills now for the last 35yrs, only drive in cities as a "tourist".:innocent: