PDA

View Full Version : Making a Wilderness Toothbrush

preachtheWORD
05-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Good hygiene is important, even in the woods. Your time in the wilderness can be made a little more comfortable if you can keep at least a modicum of cleanliness. For me this is especially true in oral hygiene. I don't care much if I am caked in mud, but I hate to go without brushing my teeth. I just don't like the nasty feeling of a gamey mouth, especially if I have been living off of roots, leaves, and the Lord knows what in the woods.

When I was a kid, my Dad taught me a great use for a birch twig - you can make a toothbrush. Black Birch (and perhaps some other birches) has a minty smell and flavor, and has some essential oils that counteract mouth germs. In the video below, I demonstrate how to make a toothbrush from a birch twig:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDnxkoXZfkI

This can be pretty useful. If birch doesn't grow near you, you could substitute some other tree with a decent taste and stout grain.

This was taken during my recent camping excursion - the one with the imaginary bear attack. (see thread: http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?p=222931#post222931) That was a pretty sleepless night, so I am not looking my best. (Never look too good to begin with!)

Hope the idea and vid is helpful.

Justin Case
05-26-2010, 04:38 PM
My Grandfather used to use a clean white cloth and Baking soda to clean his teeth, He was convinced that toothpaste would rub the enamel off, He died at 96 with all of his teeth, and yes they were white and yes they were real and in his mouth, My Dad began having trouble with his teeth after they were cleaned in the Army, He died at 74 with only a couple of teeth left, Go Figure,,,, That enamel is there for a reason. IMO. I use the Baking soda Method mostly, My Teeth are clean and at 46 , I have had ZERO tooth Problems with the exception of having my wisdom teeth pulled because of pain when they would try to cut in when I was younger, Baking soda and Listerine,,, The way to go , :)
But if you do have the Need to Brush, and get bits of root and other foreign food particulates out of your teeth, The Video Is Great !!

crashdive123
05-26-2010, 05:14 PM
My Grandfather used to use a clean white cloth and Baking soda to clean his teeth, He was convinced that toothpaste would rub the enamel off, He died at 96 with all of his teeth, and yes they were white and yes they were real and in his mouth, My Dad began having trouble with his teeth after they were cleaned in the Army, He died at 74 with only a couple of teeth left, Go Figure,,,, That enamel is there for a reason. IMO. I use the Baking soda Method mostly, My Teeth are clean and at 46 , I have had ZERO tooth Problems with the exception of having my wisdom teeth pulled because of pain when they would try to cut in when I was younger, Baking soda and Listerine,,, The way to go , :)
But if you do have the Need to Brush, and get bits of root and other foreign food particulates out of your teeth, The Video Is Great !!

I too have zero tooth problems.....well - except for this crater in my mouth after my 4th visit with the root canal thingie. Just waiting on the crown. Gosh - I wonder if my insurance covers real gold?:innocent:

your_comforting_company
05-26-2010, 07:26 PM
You don't find new toothbrushes laying around, but they do grow on trees!

It's amazing just how much comfort you find out in nature.
Nice vid. precise and to the point.
Also, some real good info in there. Good Job PTW!

tried to give you some rep for that, but "Good job" will have to do!

hunter63
05-26-2010, 08:56 PM
Good job on the vid, y'all are getting good at this media stuff.
I am kinda like to willow myself.
Thanks for posting.

justin_baker
05-27-2010, 12:12 AM
Gaaaah! I see so many articles and info on things involving birch trees....i am half a continent away from any birch tree watsoever! My woods are full some completley useless trees. So annoying!

crashdive123
05-27-2010, 06:25 AM
Gaaaah! I see so many articles and info on things involving birch trees....i am half a continent away from any birch tree watsoever! My woods are full some completley useless trees. So annoying!

No tree is useless.

preachtheWORD
05-27-2010, 08:04 AM

Birch works so well because of the minty oils and because the grain is loose enough, yet tough enough to make "bristles." If you can find a tree in your area with suitable grain - some kind of maple might work - and if the tase isn't too terrible, it might be usable. Just go out and try some stuff. Be careful though, you might have trees in your area that would make you sick. A good rule of thumb is if it smells bad or tastes bad, don't use it!

Vulspire
05-27-2010, 02:46 PM
Never thaught anything like this was possable, Thanks for sharing.

Ole WV Coot
05-27-2010, 04:53 PM
I too have zero tooth problems.....well - except for this crater in my mouth after my 4th visit with the root canal thingie. Just waiting on the crown. Gosh - I wonder if my insurance covers real gold?:innocent:

I had a molar crowned a few months ago and my dentist convinced me that gold was the best option. It had enough "give" to last. My problem wasn't insurance, it is where I live. In this area I would lose it in a sec if I yawned around here.:blushing: Old joke, the toothbrush was invented here, if it was anywhere else it would be called a teethbrush.:tongue_smilie:

preachtheWORD
05-27-2010, 05:15 PM
Old joke, the toothbrush was invented here, if it was anywhere else it would be called a teethbrush.:tongue_smilie:

That and a great many other WV jokes are very popular where I live in southwest Virginia! I can't crack any WV jokes from the pulpit though - I've got several tough old WV ladies in the Church that would "jack my jaws."

crashdive123
05-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Old joke, the toothbrush was invented here, if it was anywhere else it would be called a teethbrush.:tongue_smilie:

Now that right there is funny, I don't care who you are.

Rick
05-27-2010, 06:27 PM
Thanks, Preach. Great vid. Oral hygiene is so important where ever you are. Studies I've read indicate a lack of oral hygiene can allow bacteria to enter your blood through your gums. Good oral hygiene keeps the gum line tight and helps prevent that. Helps with keeping the teeth, too. Good job!!! Simple but so important.

HeritageFarm
05-29-2010, 05:05 PM

Sometimes I feel that way about our trees - useless for wood, for I would like to do some old time wood working. I think they would make great posts, though, if I just take the bark off and season them, round posts are quite appealing.
There I just contradicted myself.
Say, I dunno how to do this brush thing, there are no birch around here!

justin_baker
05-29-2010, 06:23 PM
I usually just shave off a little toothpick or peel off some quick plant fibers and use that.

pete lynch
05-30-2010, 06:31 AM
Sassafras twigs can be used for a toothbrush.

HeritageFarm
05-30-2010, 08:54 AM
Sassafras twigs can be used for a toothbrush.

Plenty of that around here, I'll try that.

rebel
05-30-2010, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the vid.