PDA

View Full Version : idea for field point modification

huskymill
05-24-2010, 12:24 AM
so i just bought a bow about two weeks ago and lately have been really into archery. well today i decided to clean my room for the first time since i was in highschool (2 years ago) and discovered my old football cleats. i had the ones with the steel tips so they never wore down.
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/gicreature/1099902.jpghttp://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg310/gicreature/s7_413501_imageset_01.jpg
well ive been thinking about trying small game hunting with my bow and i ordered some bludgen tips but they havent arrived yet. while looking at the cleats i thought about it and decided to modify them with the field tips that i have and make my own bludgens. havent done it yet but tomorow night after work im going to make the mods and test it out. ill let you know how it works. i have like 14 cleats and about 20 feild tips, and bludgen tips run around $10 for 4, so if this works it could save some $ though i probably wont need that many bludgen tips:innocent:.

Camp10
05-24-2010, 06:57 PM
I like the idea. I will have to watch this to see how it works out.

huskymill
05-24-2010, 10:44 PM
so i made the mods, it seems to be affective at keeping the arrow from digging into the ground, but if you hit anything like for example a tree the cleats crack in half. what i did was pop the steel tips out of the cleats, drilled the hole to the diameter of the feild tips, then screwed in the field tips over the cleats. i think i might be able to stop the cleats from breaking if i epoxy the field tips to them. i dont have epoxy at the moment so im not sure. hey this is just me playing around with stuff thats laying around the house. overall it might just be easier and more effective to just buy some bludgens.

rwc1969
05-24-2010, 10:50 PM
I'm not sure what the thread size is, but you may be able to get the same effect with machine screws, bolts, etc.

Ole WV Coot
05-25-2010, 11:19 PM
I slipped an empty 38 case over the tip, no head screwed in, but I was using fiberglass arrows that just fit. Worked great and the price was right.

mccaw69
05-25-2010, 11:21 PM
pretty good idea,lets us know how it works for u,take pics of course.

rwc1969
05-26-2010, 06:28 PM
Let you know how much I know about bows. I wonder if it's safe to do with a high power compound type bow? Could the arrow or bow break if there's not enough weight?

RangerXanatos
05-26-2010, 06:59 PM
I slipped an empty 38 case over the tip, no head screwed in, but I was using fiberglass arrows that just fit. Worked great and the price was right.

My brother did about the same thing but I'm not sure what caliber casing he used. He used dowel rods and a hot glue gun. The glue adds some cushioning.

hoosierarcher
06-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Go to the hardware store and find washers that have narrow holes that fit as tight as possible on the screw in part of you field point but with a one inch diameter and you have a decent bludgeon point. You can also do it with a wing nut with a nylon bushing or without for good results.