PDA

View Full Version : One pot meals

Beans
05-21-2010, 05:27 AM
I was finishing putting the final seasoning in my new green beans, diced potatoes and ham chunks and my old memory was jolted.

In 1978 I had moved from Missouri to the Las Vegas area and had become friends with a couple of families from California.

I grew up with a lot of one pot meals, Ham & Navy beans, Beef stew topped with biscuits, pot roast with taters and carrots Etc. Nothing fancy but you got all you wanted to eat.

I had just cooked up a large pot of Ham & Navy beans with cornbread and invited my new friends over for dinner. As we sat down for dinner, one of the men remarked that he had never had a dinner where there was just ham and beans to eat. Several other members of the group also echoed the same remarks.

I just smiled and told them to enjoy a southern style family dinner. I served them ham & Navy beans, chopped onions on the side, fresh made cornbread, real butter, homemade jam, honey and their choice of beverage.

I am sure that none of them went away hungry, but later when I would invite them over for dinner they always asked what I was fixing.

I guess them California folks eat different.

Ken
05-21-2010, 05:45 AM
I grew up with a lot of one pot meals, Ham & Navy beans, Beef stew topped with biscuits, pot roast with taters and carrots Etc. Nothing fancy but you got all you wanted to eat.

Same when I was growing up, Beans. Still the same now.

One of my favorites is a New England Boiled dinner. Smoked Shoulder, cabbage, onions, carrots, and potatos. Of course, some of us add chourico to spice it up a bit. :blushing:

Mom would fry up thin steaks with potatos and onions in a tomato gravy - that's gravy, not sauce. Great one-pot meal. Then there was spaghetti & meatballs with some veggies tossed in. lots of others like Beef Stew and Spare Rib Stew. :drool:

One of my best and favorite one-pot recipies today is my paelle.

You said California, right? :innocent: I don't think we're unique on this one.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/one-pot-meals/package/index.html

http://www.eartheasy.com/eat_one_pot_meals.htm

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/healthy/nutritiousdishes/winteronedish

http://www.gloriouspotmeal.com/recipes/index.htm

Camp10
05-21-2010, 05:54 AM
Same when I was growing up, Beans. Still the same now.

One of my favorites is a New England Boiled dinner. Smoked Shoulder, cabbage, onions, carrots, and potatos. Of course, some of us add chourico to spice it up a bit. :blushing:

I nearly posted the New England boiled dinner but thought I would let a real New Englander do it! I didnt have to wait long! My other favorite up here is the baked beans (on Saturday nights if you are a real traditionalist). They dont get made often in my house but it is another one pot meal that is a staple up here.

crashdive123
05-21-2010, 06:42 AM
I haven't had New England Boild dinner in quite some time. The Sourthern version of it is a seafood variation called Low Country Boil http://www.coastalliving.com/food/entertaining/lowcountry-boil-00400000001984/

Pal334
05-21-2010, 07:00 AM
Mmm, paelle, I have had it in Spain , Puerto Rico, Ecuador and of course the USA, and can say I never had a bad one, all have a slight local twist, but yummy. My favorite "one pot" meal was always Navy Beans with a big old chunk of ham.

Winnie
05-21-2010, 08:04 AM
The English version of ham and navy beans is a bacon hock and pease pudding (not a pudding at all, split yellow peas tied in a cloth and boiled with the ham) Mmmmm

rebel
05-21-2010, 01:36 PM
LOL. After reading about ham -n- beans with a side of corn bread I had to do a recon of the freezer for ham. I also like a side of mustard greens. Good eats.

2dumb2kwit
05-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Mmmmmmmm.....Ham and navy beans.:drool:

For one pot meals, don't forget chicken and dumplin's.:drool::drool::drool:

pete lynch
05-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Mmmmmmmm.....Ham and navy beans.:drool:

For one pot meals, don't forget chicken and dumplin's.:drool::drool::drool:

Oh, man. Them slick dumplin's can't be beat. :)
My pop used to cook up a big pot of fish chowder for the winter holidays. He used white fish, diced potatoes, bacon, onions, butter and a big pile of biscuits on the side.
It tasted even better after a couple days.

Aurelius95
05-23-2010, 03:23 PM
Who knew when I started reading this post that I'd finish reading by writing up a grocery list! We do the beans/ham a bunch in the winter. Bake the cornbread in my grandmother's cast iron skillet. Perhaps I don't need to wait until it cools down, after all!

huntermj
05-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Growing up we had a lot of sheppards pie / cassarole. It was both good and cheap. Peas, corn, ground beef covered by mashed potatos.
My favorite is corned beef brisket will all the veggies.

Ken
05-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Growing up we had a lot of sheppards pie.....

That's one of the very few meals I won't touch. Everybody I know besides me loves Shepard's Pie. Everybody says that their (or their Mom's) Shepard's Pie is the best. Well, I've tried 'em all. The only thing I had to decide was which one I hated the least. I can't stand that meal, and so, to paraphrase a former President of the United States,

"I do not like Shepard's Pie. And I haven't liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. And I'm the Director of Quality Control at the Wilderness Survival Forums, and I'm not going to eat any more Shepard's Pie." :sneaky2:

Justin Case
05-23-2010, 06:13 PM
That's one of the very few meals I won't touch. Everybody I know besides me loves Shepard's Pie. Everybody says that their (or their Mom's) Shepard's Pie is the best. Well, I've tried 'em all. The only thing I had to decide was which one I hated the least. I can't stand that meal, and so, to paraphrase a former President of the United States,

"I do not like Shepard's Pie. And I haven't liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. And I'm the Director of Quality Control at the Wilderness Survival Forums, and I'm not going to eat any more Shepard's Pie." :sneaky2:

This from a guy that likes "Caviar" YUCK !

(Mmmmm shepards Pie,,,,,, GOOD !)

Camp10
05-23-2010, 06:18 PM
This from a guy that likes "Caviar" YUCK !

(Mmmmm shepards Pie,,,,,, GOOD !)

I'm with Ken when it comes to shepard's pie. It seems strange though because I like all the ingredients.

Ken
05-23-2010, 06:20 PM
It seems strange though because I like all the ingredients.

Me too, Camp.

Justin Case
05-23-2010, 06:26 PM
I'm with Ken when it comes to shepard's pie. It seems strange though because I like all the ingredients.

Do you eat one thing at a time from your plate ? maybe that has something to do with it, ?? I Mix everything all up :tongue_smilie:

Ken
05-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Camp, you know how some real fancy restaurants do that nouvelle cuisine thing? They pile up all the food, one ON TOP of the other, instead of spreading it out on the plate? :sneaky2: I HATE THAT!!! It reminds me of SHEPPARD'S PIE!!! :sneaky2:

Something about a great piece of tenderloin sinking in soggy garlic smashed potatos that are drowning in some kinda' sauce that's buried under soggy onion rings.........

Hell, use a bigger plate and give everything its own place on the plate.

Ken
05-23-2010, 06:33 PM
Do you eat one thing at a time from your plate ? maybe that has something to do with it, ?? I Mix everything all up :tongue_smilie:

Nope. Never ate that way. Take a bite of this, and that, and that, and this again. It's just that I don't like eating something that looks like hash at every meal.

Camp10
05-23-2010, 06:34 PM

I eat one fork load at a time.:innocent: No, I dont think that is it. I like soups and chowders and sandwiches and all kinds of other concoctions. Just not shepard's pie

Justin Case
05-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Nope. Never ate that way. Take a bite of this, and that, and that, and this again. It's just that I don't like eating something that looks like hash at every meal.

You would die in Jail ! LOL,, I beat up a meter reader once and got thrown in the Can,,, I asked one of the guys the first day what they gave us for lunch, he said "Mystery Meat:,, I thought to myself, It cant be THAT bad,, boy was I wrong ! I really could not tell what kind of meat was on that sandwich,,, but it was spicy ??? LOL

Camp10
05-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Camp, you know how some real fancy restaurants do that nouvelle cuisine thing? They pile up all the food, one ON TOP of the other, instead of spreading it out on the plate? :sneaky2: I HATE THAT!!! It reminds me of SHEPPARD'S PIE!!! :sneaky2:

Something about a great piece of tenderloin sinking in soggy garlic smashed potatos that are drowning in some kinda' sauce that's buried under soggy onion rings.........

Hell, use a bigger plate and give everything its own place on the plate.

Now that's a good explanation! Your right, maybe the reason I dont like it is because I like all the ingredients!

Camp10
05-23-2010, 06:41 PM
You would die in Jail ! LOL,, I beat up a meter reader once and got thrown in the Can,

Okay, as someone who spent a few years as a meter reader..I've got to hear this story!

Justin Case
05-23-2010, 06:44 PM
Okay, as someone who spent a few years as a meter reader..I've got to hear this story!

He hit my dog with a shovel because my dog Barked at him when he jumped over my 5' Chain link fence . Despite the sign on the gate that said Beware of dog Honk .

2dumb2kwit
05-23-2010, 06:50 PM
He hit my dog with a shovel because my dog Barked at him when he jumped over my 5' Chain link fence . Despite the sign on the gate that said Beware of dog Honk .

I think I would have gone to jail that day, too.:smash:

Camp10
05-23-2010, 06:53 PM

That isnt as interesting as I thought it was going to be! I once had a guy threaten to kill me bacause he thought I walked in his flower garden. When the police couldnt find any footprints, he decided it was time to apologize...I wish I had followed up on that because it really pi$$ed me off at the time.

2dumb2kwit
05-23-2010, 06:57 PM
Hey....would chicken pot pie be considered a one pot meal?

It's what I had for supper. A home made one. Mmmm.:drool:

Ken
05-23-2010, 06:58 PM
I think I would have gone to jail that day, too.:smash:

Yeah, that day and a few more times after that. :sneaky2:

Ken
05-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Hey....would chicken pot pie be considered a one pot meal?

It's what I had for supper. A home made one. Mmmm.:drool:

How many pies did you eat?

Justin Case
05-23-2010, 07:02 PM
That isnt as interesting as I thought it was going to be! I once had a guy threaten to kill me bacause he thought I walked in his flower garden. When the police couldnt find any footprints, he decided it was time to apologize...I wish I had followed up on that because it really pi$$ed me off at the time.

Heres the thing, he was a new guy, water meter reader, where I lived, all four meters mine and my 3 surrounding neighbors , were all together in back of the property with an unfenced easement, :sneaky2: anyway, I got charged with assault and he took an ambulance ride, I got a letter after from an ins company wanting me to pay,, I just tore it up, That was 6 years ago , and I never heard from them again, BTW, he quit the meter reader business, Had a Hot little Blond chick that loved dogs after that ,, LOL

2dumb2kwit
05-23-2010, 07:07 PM
How many pies did you eat?

About 25% of one. It was regular pie size. Not those little ones you get at the store, in the freezer section.:sneaky2:

Camp10
05-23-2010, 07:09 PM
BTW, he quit the meter reader business, Had a Hot little Blond chick that loved dogs after that ,, LOL

Bet the dog liked that!:innocent:

Justin Case
05-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Bet the dog liked that!:innocent:

He/we only seen her a couple of times, I lost my home shortly after that in foreclosure, :blushing:

Ken
05-23-2010, 07:17 PM
About 25% of one. It was regular pie size. Not those little ones you get at the store, in the freezer section.:sneaky2:

Then that would be a one pot meal.

Reason I asked is that I usually make two chicken or turkey pies at a time (with an apple or blueberry one, too, since the oven's already on). One pie (mine) is loaded with veggies. The other one (for the kids - at least when they were smaller) has no veggies. They still ate veggies, just not IN the pie.

huntermj
05-24-2010, 08:51 PM
Not like sheppards pie? Inconciveable!

dscrick
06-02-2010, 03:03 PM
One of my favorites is Frogmore Stew, especially in the summer:

Get a big pot with about 6 quarts of water boiling.
Add 1 can of Old Bay seasoning to the water
Put in a 3 to 4 pounds of red new potatoes, cut in half. Boil 5 minutes
Add some quartered onions
Put in 2 or 3 pounds of smoked or andouille sausage, cut up. Boil 5 more minutes
Put in 8 ears of sweet corn, broken in half, boil 5 more minutes
Add 2 or 3 pounds of shrimp, fresh or frozen, heads off, in the shell
Continue boiling until the shrimp is just done

Enjoy with friends and cold beer! Peel & eat shrimp with all the fixings. Even the California types should like this one.

woodsman86
06-19-2010, 02:10 AM
I haven't had New England Boild dinner in quite some time. The Sourthern version of it is a seafood variation called Low Country Boil http://www.coastalliving.com/food/entertaining/lowcountry-boil-00400000001984/

Low Country Boil is one of my favorites when I visit my parents in NC. So I thought I would post a demonstration pic from my parents place of the proper method for eating Low Country Boil. Some butcher block paper on the table, dump everything in the middle, and then dig in.

http://i677.photobucket.com/albums/vv139/woodsman86/FamilyDinnerAug-09.jpg

crashdive123
06-19-2010, 06:33 AM
That looks about right. There is a restaurant around here that is kind of tucked away from civilization (but is always packed) that serves it in large buckets for the table, and plenty of newspapers for the left over parts.

revleo
06-19-2010, 11:41 AM
grew up with my Mamaw making em

beans
sausage
bacon or other form of ham/pork product
lots of chili powder and cayenne
onions
garlic
and the secret ingredient one potato vigorously poked with a fork
in the crockpot to absorb gas left in the crockpot to simmer for
at least 24 hours but better for 48