PDA

View Full Version : Church pot luck.

rebel
05-17-2010, 11:22 PM
Have you been paying attention to the church dinners? Talk about some great grub! Everyone brings a dish to share. You know the jackpot dishes, tater-tot or fried onion topping. The homemade desserts are the best.

Sourdough
05-17-2010, 11:34 PM
The Whole town does that here summer & winter, we have a lot of Potlatches. The only church here, has "free" breakfast every Wednesday for anyone.

BENESSE
05-18-2010, 07:51 AM
Green bean casserole with crispy onion (from a can) topping.

Rick
05-18-2010, 07:55 AM
It's interesting what is served. When I was a kid it was just as described with the main fare being chicken. It's still that way back home and where I live now. When I worked outside, away from home, they had chowders that were full of game meat and all sorts of veggies cooked for hours until everything had fallen apart. That was some good stuff.

preachtheWORD
05-18-2010, 07:58 AM
Now you guys are speaking my language! As a full time pastor I am at just about every Church dinner. The ladies around here sure can cook. Good food like that ought to persuade more people to get involved in Church!

hunter63
05-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Hey, I hear ya, even though most of the ones I/we attend, most are pay for breakfasts, steak dinners etc, whenever we are on a hunting trips.

We hunt them down.
Really beats the carp out of restaurants, bar food, and you don't have dishes to wash!

Lots of grub for little cash and you really get to try a lot of local specialities, meet a lot of good people and generally have a good home cooked meal.

Ken
05-18-2010, 07:16 PM
You guys oughta' know me by now. :blushing:

I've gone to more church and synagogue breakfasts and dinners than I can count.

I missed St. Patrick's Day this year, but I caught a May Day breakfast earlier this month. Next comes the Polish Church feast in late June (kielbasa, pierogi, golabki, kapusta.......:drool:) and then comes the Portuguese Church feasts in July and August (cacoila, carne espeto, malasadas, vinho.........:drool:) and then the Greek Orthodox Church in late August (grilled lamb, kalamarakia, oives, eggplant salad, feta cheese, souvlakis, and baklava.....:drool:) I'm guaranteed to put on at least 2 pounds on each of these visits. :blushing: