PDA

View Full Version : Operational Rations

Ken
05-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Here's the latest from Natick Labs. 70 pages of info on MRE's and ration improvements and changes.

http://nsrdec.natick.army.mil/media/print/OP_Rations.pdf

Old GI
05-17-2010, 08:57 AM
During my misspent youth, I spent time at Natick Labs on parachute business. I did meet the ration and clothing gurus once. I wasn't invited back to the their area when I "complimented" them on MREs that quadrupled the water requirement when the focus at the time was Middle East; and the heavy weight BDUs that rotted off guys in Grenada. They have some other "success" stories too,

rebel
05-17-2010, 09:04 AM
Good info. Thanks. I liked the historical look at rations.

Rick
05-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Of course, you provided real suggestions for improvement, right? Otherwise, they probably just marked you off as another Old GI.

hunter63
05-17-2010, 11:08 AM
Thanks, a pretty cool sight, gonna have to spend some time there.
Always wondered what is considered ration so "X" number of days, so looks like a little digging is in order.

Old GI
05-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Of course, you provided real suggestions for improvement, right? Otherwise, they probably just marked you off as another Old GI.

Yes. Use rip stop nylon for BDUs. Go back to C Rations. But I was written off as a not-too-old GI (at that time).

Justin Case
05-17-2010, 01:07 PM
Shrimp Scampi, BBQ Ribs ? Sheesh, Am I too old to join the Army ?

Pal334
05-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Just not the same as "the good old days":drool:

http://www.georgia-outfitters.com/crationphotos.htm

crashdive123
05-17-2010, 06:23 PM
Ahhhhh. Franks and beans, Chicklets and Lucky Strikes

Ken
05-17-2010, 06:24 PM
Sheesh, Am I too old to join the Army ?

Ours or Theirs? :sneaky2:

Pal334
05-17-2010, 07:10 PM
Ham and lima beans, that has a nickname that I dare not post :). Could you imagine cigarettes in the rations today?

Old GI
05-18-2010, 09:00 AM
Ham and lima beans, that has a nickname that I dare not post :). Could you imagine cigarettes in the rations today?

You beat me to it. I was trying to find a way to say it without offending. I always hung around the non-smokers when Cs were handed out. Speaking of Ham and ......... , we always handed out Cs from the open case but with the label out of sight, so you didn't get to pick; you know which would always be last.

Pal334
05-18-2010, 10:23 AM
You beat me to it. I was trying to find a way to say it without offending. I always hung around the non-smokers when Cs were handed out. Speaking of Ham and ......... , we always handed out Cs from the open case but with the label out of sight, so you didn't get to pick; you know which would always be last.

W had a guy that would scarf up all of the Lima beans, he loved them because of the chunk of ham. He ate like a big dog all the time :)

Old GI
05-18-2010, 10:37 AM
W had a guy that would scarf up all of the Lima beans, he loved them because of the chunk of ham. He ate like a big dog all the time :)

I'll bet he did eat well (if that's what you would call it). Yecchhh! I don't even like regular limas.

Ken
05-18-2010, 06:27 PM

My Dad served in the Korean War. He only shared a few stories with us, but one was about a time period of about a month when every ration he got was lima beans. Dad was pretty easy to please when it came to food, but for as long as he was alive, I never saw a lima bean in the house. Don't think Mom has ever bought once either since Dad passed away. :innocent:

kyratshooter
05-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Remember the prong flash supressor in the origional M16? They really changed them to the bird cage because we were using them to open the C-rat cases. You could sit the prongs over the wires and give the rifle a twist to break the copper wires.

Half our 16s were minus the flash supressors pretty soon.

Pal334
05-18-2010, 07:29 PM
Who ever invented the Lima Beans and M***** F***'s will have a special place in the hearts , minds and stomaches of all old soldiers :)

Beans
05-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Remember the prong flash supressor in the origional M16? They really changed them to the bird cage because we were using them to open the C-rat cases. You could sit the prongs over the wires and give the rifle a twist to break the copper wires.

Half our 16s were minus the flash supressors pretty soon.

AH the memories

cold pork slices on a John Wayne cracker, breakfast of a grunt.