PDA

View Full Version : Knife fire steel striking area

Batch
05-12-2010, 09:56 PM
On my Newt Livesay neck knife I have no place but the blade for striking fire steel. I am thinking about making a notch or flattening a portion of the spine or maybe the are between the blade and the handle for fire steel striking. Am, I making a mistake or where would you put the striking surface. I hate dulling a blade striking fires.

roar-k
05-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Ever thought about purchasing a small scraper or something to use? Firesteel.com has them and they are actually really good. I just ordered a few scrapers, firesteels, and magnesium rods. Will do a mini review on them soon.

Here is a pick of the scraper:

http://firesteel.com/product_images/f/firesteel_super_scraper__41648.jpg

Rick
05-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Or a junk piece of metal that doesn't cost you anything. I'll bet you have some laying around the garage.

your_comforting_company
05-12-2010, 10:36 PM
A little piece of hacksaw blade sharpened slightly on the flat side will work well. Attach it with some string or ball-chain like the one I got from Rick. If you really want to do it on your knife, I would put it at the very base of the blade and would only make a flattened or sharp-ish edge. I put my thumb on the base of the blade sometimes for more force and stability and you don't want to make it unusable.

Rick
05-12-2010, 10:41 PM
Have you tried striking the flint on the knife? Holding the knife steady and moving the flint steel across the spine of the knife?

crashdive123
05-12-2010, 11:08 PM
All good choices. I think that rather than a notch though, just squaring the spine with a file would work well. The scrapers from firesteel.com are very good, as are bits of hacksaw blades.

rebel
05-12-2010, 11:26 PM
I get plenty of sparks with a ferro rod by squaring the spine of the knife.

justin_baker
05-13-2010, 06:35 PM
As long as it has a perfectly squared off spine and the metal is hard, then it will produce good sparks. The harder the metal is, the better.