PDA

View Full Version : I Love MOLLE!

Alaskan Survivalist
05-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Growing up just about everything we had was military surplus from WW II. Even spent several years living in a Quonset hut. I quickly figured out the only things practical for backpacking from that era was using the pack board and the machete (still the best I’ve ever used). The rest was just too heavy. Civilian stuff was usually cheap crap that would not hold up but got better about the same time ALICE stuff started to show up. ALICE was a big improvement in weight over WW II surplus and just as durable but could not compete with lighter civilian gear I would strap to my WW II pack board. Then Civilian gear got even better and I never considered military surplus again until MOLLE. It strikes a good balance between weight and durability. I still camp with civilian gear but for long term use it would never hold up like the MOLLE gear and MOLLE has the advantage of being the most versatile system you can imagine.

Packs come in various sizes with cinch straps, hip belts and adjustments like civilian gear but add straps all over to attach MOLLE pouches.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_1086.jpg

I have 4 different pouches like this containing different kits that can attack to pack, belt or carried over shoulder.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_1089.jpg

I have a scabbard I think is designed for shot guns but it fits my pump 22, lever action 44 and I also use it as a quiver for my arrows. I works very well to keep my rifle from frosting up in the winter and I can attach it on pack or pack board for easy rifle carry but it also attaches easily to my ATV.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_0930.jpg

I have pouches for my handheld radios that attach anywhere including my belt and on the side of other pouches. This one contains other electronics that I don’t use in the winter so it makes it convenient to leave behind or just grab and go. I have half a dozen of the larger pouch in this photo is use for ammo because the are about the right size to contain all the ammo I want to carry.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_1053.jpg

They weigh about 8 pounds depending on ammo and will hold 1000-22 LR, 450-22 magnum or 150-44 magnum. Mine are color coded to distinguish between them in a hurry.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_1091.jpg

When you get to the point of final organizing of your gear you will appreciate the versatility of MOLLE. I love it!

rebel
05-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Once again, A.S. has kicked a$$ in the lookin' good category. My sh!t is so disorganized!
Good Job AS! I can only hope to be like you.

doug1980
05-08-2010, 10:22 PM
MOLLE is the best! I love it too. It's all I used while deployed and works great for camping, hiking etc. I just wish I had as much as you do. :)

justin_baker
05-10-2010, 12:57 AM
Why dont civilian companies put molle straps on the outsides of there packs? Are they stupid? They could seriously revolutionize the casual backpacking market with customizability.

NoSweat88
05-11-2010, 08:57 AM
Now THAT is what I want my BO stuff to look like....It's an Obsessive Compulsive dream.

I have just started organizing my gear and I am definitely a "kit" guy. I learned a lot from various YouTube videos, plus forums like this. My idea is to take a 'subject"....say First Aid/ Medical...and modularize it. I have a basic "last aid" type kit that I can carry in one hand. It's a little bigger than most, as I have a family of four including 6 yr old twins to deal with. But it has what I have deterimined to be the most essential items. My wife would have an identical kit, but nothing more than last aid.

That kit would be contained in a larger Class II (my designation) kit that would have additional supplies such as meds, more bandages and dressings, splints, etc. There would be some duplication, but not much.

The Class II kit would be a part of the Class III kit which would be mostly larger trauma type supplies to include aiways and surgical kits. If necessary, I could leave behind the Class III and take the II and Last Aid or..leave behind the Class III and II and take only LA. Ultimately, the whole thing will fit nicely in the top of the IBLE backpack I have (which is, btw the absolute BOMB!!!). Class II would be able to strap onto a MOLLE Drop-Leg platform and Class I would fit in a cargo pocket or clip onto my belt.

What are the best sources for MOLLE pouches??? In your opinions, who has the greatest SELECTION of different pouches, etc?

Modularizing all my other equipment and splitting it up between myself, my wife and even the kids (they would carry their own clothes and water/ food bars) is the plan. MOLLE type gear lends itself perfectly to this concept.

Thanks for the pics AS.

NoSweat88
05-11-2010, 02:13 PM
A.S. Where did you get the radio pouches you use?

NS88

Rick
05-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Just out of curiosity, are you trained to perform tracheal intubation? It's not something you pick up off of a YouTube vid. Same with IVs. Don't waste your money on items you are not trained to use. You will be wasting resources and probably do more harm than good if you attempt to do something you are not trained to perform.

NoSweat88
05-11-2010, 03:30 PM
No, I"m not trained for endotracheal intubation...I am referring to oropharangeal airways, which, in addition to esophogeal airways, I am trained to use. I am also trained in suturing. I am not trained for starting or maintaining IV's either. These items would not be included in any of my gear unless and until I properly learn to use them.

I'm not naive enough to think that I could learn such skills from an internet video. My reference to YouTube was concerning the use of "kits" and the concept of modularity as it applies to BOB's, etc.

Justin Case
05-11-2010, 03:39 PM
I learned how to use these in First responder Cert Class, ( esophageal airway)

http://procurement.ifrc.org/catalogue/upload/products_data/images/medium/XANETGUE.jpg

IV's are easy too,,

Rick
05-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Good for both of you, then. That knowledge is more tools in the toolbox.

I wasn't trying to be trite with you, Nosweat, but we've had a number of folks come on here and talk about adding more sophistocated tools to their medical kits when they have little or no training to use them.

NoSweat88
05-11-2010, 05:42 PM
Justin,

That's actually the oropharyngeal airway that I was referring to here's the esophageal airway:

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee224/NoSweat88/images1.jpg

They aren't too terribly hard to use either...much easier than the endotracheal tube.

Rick,

I know what you mean. There are tons of YouTube experts out there now. And I don't mean the folks who post the vids. Trying to use equipment you don't know how to properly use....especially MEDICAL stuff....is a recipe for disaster. And unfortunately it's someone else who suffers.

One thing I have NO problem with is admitting when I don't know something. And I don't just take someone else's word (especiall on the 'net) as gospel on how to do something. Trust but Verify.

Rick
05-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Trust but Verify.

That's a great rule for more than just the internet!

Justin Case
05-11-2010, 08:18 PM
I remember that you measure for the one you need by placing it on the side of the face and you want the one that reaches from the ear to the mouth ,, and it sorta twists in,, that class was a long time ago :blushing:

Alaskan Survivalist
05-12-2010, 01:04 AM
A.S. Where did you get the radio pouches you use?

NS88

I got them from Sportsmans Warehouse. They are 5.11 Tactical.

http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Home/Law-Enforcement/VTAC/Pouches/D/30000/P/1:100:10000:11700:11701

NoSweat88
05-12-2010, 01:20 PM
I remember that you measure for the one you need by placing it on the side of the face and you want the one that reaches from the ear to the mouth ,, and it sorta twists in,, that class was a long time ago :blushing:

Yup, that's pretty much it. As I recall, there are about 6 sizes.