PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Wilderness Survival Craze

corndog-44
12-12-2007, 03:21 AM
Numerous recent tragedies across the United States and Canada (avalanche deaths, snowmobile fatalities, lost hunters, hikers, campers, etc.) have highlighted the need for the Wilderness Survival Forums. By contrast, the current “craze” in Survivor-type television shows and adrenalyn-eco thrill adventures is worrisome in that the message seems to be opposite to the reality of the survival ordeal.

The extreme wilderness survival craze is an intense, sometimes irrational ethusiasm for the way in which matters relating to the woods are done. Mother Nature allows no short-cuts or X-Treme Games. Skills in woodcraft takes a lot of time and practice to learn. A person must have the knowledge and the ability not only to survive; but to thrive.

Smok
12-12-2007, 03:47 AM
Yes I would agree corndog-44 and if you are looking for an answer I would have to say that it is Fear . People are afraid of the end of the world as we know it ,or some such thing. So they come here to learn as much as they can . I just hope that people do not thank the show are all that real .That is way the show are doing so well they hit a nerve. People fell that they need to learn how to survive they just do not know what it is they need to survive from so here they are. But it all comes drown to fear . Learning is just a copping mechanism . There better ways to coppe there is a real good book out there for just that .

Jay
12-12-2007, 06:33 AM
By contrast, the current “craze” in Survivor-type television shows and adrenalyn-eco thrill adventures is worrisome in that the message seems to be opposite to the reality of the survival ordeal.

The extreme wilderness survival craze is an intense, sometimes irrational ethusiasm for the way in which matters relating to the woods are done. Mother Nature allows no short-cuts or X-Treme Games. Skills in woodcraft takes a lot of time and practice to learn. A person must have the knowledge and the ability not only to survive; but to thrive.

I couldn't agree more!!! People seem to think tha survival is a Rambo type fight with the wilderness. If you arn't fighting bears,leopards,60 foot pythons every step of the way ...its not "survival"

I've had people ask me to teach them how to make traps and anti-personnel divices...or they want to throw a kitchen knife 6 inches deep into a tree 60 feet away, track fugitives on a hardtop road or in leaf litter after a half hour of instruction. When I decline...they tell me I know nothing about survival.

It seems people need to be taught the definition of "survival" from scratch.
Extreme adventure/survival shows are all very well. but if you put some of those folks in the middle of a jungle with only the things they have in their pockets I dont think any of them will survive more than three days!

Rick
12-12-2007, 08:14 AM
I think all of you are correct. It's pretty simple to understand, really. Once we are satisfied, we are no longer motivated. If I am not hungry, I am not motivated to learn to hunt. I then seek different forms of self gratification. It speaks volumes about Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs. Why shouldn't we take our beliefs of immediate gratification, self indulgence and extreme mentality into the wilderness? I mean, if I get into trouble, well, that is what SAR teams are for isn't it?

Gray Wolf
12-12-2007, 01:09 PM
I mean, if I get into trouble, well, that is what SAR teams are for isn't it?

Rick, the problem with that is, if it's a blizzard, huricaine or other kind of monster storm or disaster happens, the SAR teams are completely out numbered. You're on your own to help yourself and your family survive. As an example I'll use Hurricane Andrew in South Florida. I went in as a first responder with a buddy and a Doctor with medical supplies, water and canned milk for the babies, in a Monster Truck, that a Toyota dealership let us use. Because Nobody could get through to the Homestead areas. We went in armed (we both have CWP for that State), because the doctor's other truck had been ransacked, robbed and he was shot at and attacked with shovels, rakes, and pieces of wood, before he even got to the really remote areas. Some of you may have heard or seen about what transpired on TV. State Police and TV helicopters let us know (when they were able to) through radios from the SP, when migrant workers and others were hiding in the ditches next to the road to attack and rob us. I don't blame them, these were everyday people with families, under horrific conditions. People will become like animals to protect themselves and their families after days of no help. The State even had to bring in the National Guard and the SeeBees' after a week of the roads to the remote areas being closed, torn apart, blocked, or in some places, not even there anymore. So that the police and relief crews could get in there. The devastation was horrible!!! The State of Florida was not prepared for that intense of a storm, let alone to get to the people in the remote areas.

Sarge47
12-12-2007, 01:13 PM
When "Superman" 1st showed up in the public media, kids were doing all sorts of damage to themselves by tying a large towel around there neck as a cape and jumping out of windows, barn lofts, etc. :eek: There are all kinds of "Wannabes" out there who don't have a life. they yearn for the attention and the public adoration that their "Heros" get. Now it's the guys like Les & Bear that people are trying to emulate.
Instead of just learning the Survival skills being demonstrated, they want to be like the Teacher. How sad.:(

Gray Wolf
12-12-2007, 01:24 PM
When "Superman" 1st showed up in the public media, kids were doing all sorts of damage to themselves by tying a large towel around there neck as a cape and jumping out of windows, barn lofts, etc. :eek: There are all kinds of "Wannabes" out there who don't have a life. they yearn for the attention and the public adoration that their "Heros" get. Now it's the guys like Les & Bear that people are trying to emulate.
Instead of just learning the Survival skills being demonstrated, they want to be like the Teacher. How sad.:(

Was that about what I posted??????? If so, that's sad....

Rick
12-12-2007, 02:07 PM
Why shouldn't we take our beliefs of immediate gratification, self indulgence and extreme mentality into the wilderness? I mean, if I get into trouble, well, that is what SAR teams are for isn't it?

Testing, testing. Is this thing on? (tap) (tap). Gray Wolf, It's called irony. Humor. I was chastising the wannabes, wannados and wannagos that haven't a clue. You know. Some joker is ready to go to, oh, I don't know, say the south pole with a lion cloth and a feather. That kind of person. That seems to be THEIR mentality. Am I right? Huh, am I?

Gray Wolf
12-12-2007, 03:10 PM
Rick, my second response was addressing what Sarge47 posted. I wanted to know if his post was directed at me, and still do.

My Bad with your post, I didn't know you were jesting. It just hits a nerve when someone gets themselves into a situation and banks on a SAR Team to bail them out. Sorry. I'm new to this site and don't know different peoples humor yet. I like this site for the willingness of members sharing and teaching others. We all can learn something from each others experiences and knowledge.

trax
12-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Was that about what I posted??????? If so, that's sad....

No, I don't think it was, I think it was just another perspective on the "craze' that this thread is about. But you sure made me read them both carefully. I agree with Sarge and I think what he's referring to is true in a lot of different areas. People want a lifetime worth of study diluted into a one hour lesson so they can run out and act like experts on the given subject.

In a true emergency situation, they're going to wind up exactly like the people Gray Wolf and Rick are describing. I think we've certainly seen our share of "wannabes" here, hopefully they move on to the next fad when it pops up. Hopefully, they're not in our way when a true emergency happens and those of us who do...are trying to protect ours and help others.

Rick
12-12-2007, 03:31 PM
What I learned today. "Setting Up The Joke, 101. You Too Can Learn To Be a Funny Guy."
Hey, just what I need. I think I'll sign up.:D

trax
12-12-2007, 03:37 PM
I don't know dude, I thought you did alright. I caught your irony. And I almost never get your sense of humor..:cool:...yeah heck I do too...

nell67
12-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Rick has a sense of humor???? LMAO!!!!(j/k):p

Gray Wolf
12-12-2007, 03:43 PM
No, I don't think it was.

I truly hope so, these skills are important to me. I know I have a lot to contribute, and I'm a sponge for learning, it may one day save my or anothers life.

I think we've certainly seen our share of "wannabes" here, hopefully they move on to the next fad when it pops up.

Yes, lets hope next season's Ice Road Truckers is eye candy...

Hopefully, they're not in our way when a true emergency happens and those of us who do...are trying to protect ours and help others.

I believe that those of us with the knowledge, need to help those in crisis...

I'm also an adrenalin junkie, I think we all are to different extents.

trax
12-12-2007, 03:49 PM
I truly hope so, these skills are important to me. I know I have a lot to contribute, and I'm a sponge for learning, it may one day save my or anothers life.
Yes, lets hope next season's Ice Road Truckers is eye candy...
I believe that those of us with the knowledge, need to help those in crisis...

I'm also an adrenalin junkie, I think we all are to different extents.

Gray Wolf,

Sarge sure as heck doesn't need me for a lawyer but I'm certain he wasn't directing that comment at you personally. I for one have found your contributions very valuable. I agree too about helping others. I believe I have skills enough to go beyond just what I need and those close to me need and so I should go beyond. Adrenaline junkie? I don't want to admit to that because I have a friend who's a cop and I tease her about it all the time, when she's babbling a mile a minute about the high speed chase she had to take part in etc. Not saying it isn't true, but I don't want to fess up. Actually, the adrenaline rush of the emergency situation can work against a person (thinking of the grylli vanilli knockoffs jumping down cliffsides etc)

Sarge47
12-12-2007, 06:40 PM
Rick, my second response was addressing what Sarge47 posted. I wanted to know if his post was directed at me, and still do.

My Bad with your post, I didn't know you were jesting. It just hits a nerve when someone gets themselves into a situation and banks on a SAR Team to bail them out. Sorry. I'm new to this site and don't know different peoples humor yet. I like this site for the willingness of members sharing and teaching others. We all can learn something from each others experiences and knowledge.

Grey Wolf, you and I must have posted at the same time. My post was directed towards the theme of this thread, just like Rick is doing. Alright?:confused: BTW, I enjoy reading all of your stuff. Your very "down-to-earth" and I find that refreshing.

Gray Wolf
12-12-2007, 07:18 PM
Grey Wolf, you and I must have posted at the same time. My post was directed towards the theme of this thread, just like Rick is doing. Alright?:confused: BTW, I enjoy reading all of your stuff. Your very "down-to-earth" and I find that refreshing.

It's all good Sarge, I'm relieved because I really enjoy the members here! Nobody minds teaching, no one here feels that any question is stupid, except for the one not asked. Seems most of the members here feel the same as I do about skills, practice, practice, practice. There is a lot of like minded experienced people, who with all their experience don't mind asking how did you do that, or I have to try that. I always trek alone, but, I meeting people here, that have the skills and the attitude that I would trust to trek with, and be able to enjoy myself instead of worrying. If you know what I mean...

wareagle69
12-12-2007, 08:52 PM
aw now i feel all warm and fuzzy inside.... no wait,,,,,, nevermind just the baily's in my cocco group hug and let's move on..

Sarge47
12-12-2007, 09:25 PM
aw now i feel all warm and fuzzy inside.... no wait,,,,,, nevermind just the baily's in my cocco group hug and let's move on..

This is humor! (heh heh) Also the Smilies are a clue. this one means "Big Grin":D This one means "I'm pulling your leg":rolleyes: And you got this one, right?;)

wareagle69
12-12-2007, 09:34 PM
wadday mean humour i was being serious..

corndog-44
12-12-2007, 09:36 PM
Some who enjoy extreme wilderness survival repudiate the stereotypical "adrenaline junkie" tag. The practitioners would claim they enjoy developing their physical and/or mental skills, seek mastery of inhospitable environments, look to escape from the mundane rigors of day-to-day existence, or simply love the wilderness environment in which this activity takes place. The claim of these practitioners is that they do these things not to escape life, but to prevent life escaping them—even though accidents in these activity could be fatal. Many participants also don't think of their activities as either extreme or sports at all. To the most passionate purists, the sport label doesn't fit because they aren't competing to win anything. Worse, the extreme label has frequently been blamed for stereotyping participants in these activities as stupid, reckless, and even suicidal.

Sarge47
12-12-2007, 09:56 PM
In his book: "The Complete Book of Outdoor Survival" J. Wayne Fears says it this way:

"Few people go into the backcountry expecting to become lost, stranded, or injured. That it-will-never-happen-to-me attitude gets untold numbers of people into trouble each year. All too often they are found dead near snowbound cars, in desert sands, in mountain passes,near aircraft, and in the woods near their homes. They are struck by lightning, killed by heat, and drowned by flash floods. Sometimes they die simply because they lack the will to live."

I think that nails it! :cool:

FVR
12-12-2007, 10:05 PM
Society has turned the "man" the "Warrior" into nothing but office bound, pen pushing, buy your meat at the store, computer, cell phone, blue tooth ??, Ipod, etc. using geeks who have cravings.

It's not pc to kill your own food anymore, anyway the prof. hunters are making it a wall hanging business rather than food. Tech., although no matter how great it is, loses meaning. Yeh, when is the last time you wrote a letter? In handwriting? and put a stamp on it and mailed it?

So these guys who go to the gym everyday to get the workout that use to be had by good hard work, want a challenge. The see Les and Bear on tv, watch it every Friday night no matter what, and think, "hey, I can do that."

So they spend most of their liquid income on all the gadgets, and take to the woods.

What is really funny is that ask those who religiously go tromping through the woods, who have been true "outdoorsman" for many more years than Les or Bear have been on tv, "do you crave survival?"

Most will say no, because to be in survival mode is to be dire straits, to may have had an accident that may result in death.

Those of us who have half a brain, who have spent time in various environments doing various things, who work everyday with our hands and backs, realize that one little screw-up, can mean death.

But Johny Bozo won't listen and will run a higher chance of injury and death.

Rick
12-12-2007, 10:16 PM
FVR - You touched a spot in my heart. My grandfather used to hand hew railroad ties with a broad ax and an adz. Cut the trees himself with an ax, loaded them in the wagon and my father drove the team up to the house where they were hewn. He was tough as nails, lived to be 99 had the best sense of humor of any man I ever knew and chewed tobacco his whole life. How long would most folks last making a living like that?

Sarge47
12-12-2007, 10:22 PM
I think this post could also apply to my "defining survival" thread as you nailed the definition very well.:cool:

FVR
12-12-2007, 10:25 PM
No short cuts. Todays society is all about short cuts and we all play the game. I love hard work, the harder the better. My wife thinks I'm nuts, she's worried that I can't last but, I will last.

I'll bet that both your father and grandfather had awsome handshakes. I mean the handshake wear you grab, shake, with a good grip and squeeze. Not a hand breaking squeeze of trying to prove something, just a good handshake with eye contact.

Good handshake is the sign of a hard worker. You can tell if the guy shaking is trying to show his strength (idiot) or just generally strong.

I remember when I was 15, my neighbor an older man, a boat builder. He built boats, duckboats our of cedar, by hand. I remember to this day, when he shook my hand. Automatic respect.

If you ever go to shake a hand, and you miss, STOP! Look the guy in the eyd, grab his hand again and say, "now this is a handshake."

No limp wristed, wimpy arse hand grabbing here.

Sarge47
12-12-2007, 10:32 PM
It's interesting what a handshake says about a person. I don't care for the "limp-wristed" shake, or where the person barely takes your hand. (If he doesn't let go and simply wants to hold it you may have a problem.:eek:) When I was in the insurance buisness and entered the home I'd always shake hands with the people I was meeting. Once or twice I was surprised by a good, solid handshake from a female. Never really expected it I guess. Still, I was impressed like FVR says.:cool:

FVR
12-12-2007, 10:36 PM
But remember, polite etiquette, never extend your hand to a woman first. Always let her extend her hand first, then it's okay to take it.

Survival, comes in many forms.

trax
12-13-2007, 03:47 PM
I think it's even worse than "shortcuts". It's something Rick alluded to earlier..."someone else do it for me" seems to be the prevalent attitude these days, and my God if someone should have to take responsibility for their own actions!

Beo
12-13-2007, 03:56 PM
I agree with FVR, although I work in the city I get out into the forests with as little as I can take and spend as much time as possible, that keeps me in shape. Today is all about a me first society, saying what others say you should, and rush around all over the place from point A to point B. Their lives pass by without them even noticing the wonderful wide world we live in. And lets see how long those prof. hunters last if its just for food
It all just makes me sick.