PDA

View Full Version : where would you rather be lost?

toasta
12-11-2007, 04:44 PM
A. Snow/ Ice covered mountain
B. Jungle
C. Woodland (oak/conifer)
D. Desert
E. Open Sea
F. Prairie

nell67
12-11-2007, 04:46 PM
B. Jungle
D. Desert
E. Open Sea
C. Most definatlely!

toasta
12-11-2007, 04:51 PM
i ment to put a poll but messed up
and same here
i'm a
C. type person

trax
12-11-2007, 05:28 PM
Why would you want that? Pitching a teepee? Anyway, yeah,,,,C.... and you left out prairies if you're trying for all the different possible habitats, but even with prairies, I'd go with C.

carcajou garou
12-11-2007, 05:33 PM
would rather not be lost but C would be most familiar

trax
12-11-2007, 05:55 PM
I didn't even notice the word "lost" just thought it was "where would you rather be?" don't think I'd feel lost in a forest....hmmm....

MCBushbaby
12-11-2007, 06:30 PM
I'll take famous tities for 400, Alex

C

trax
12-11-2007, 07:15 PM
I'll take famous tities for 400, Alex

C

(Best Sean Connery impression I can muster) Who iz Dolly Pahton?

no..once again..it's titles, famous titles...

Rick
12-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Cabin fever has already set in. Jeees. (forehead slap)

This is a tough one for me. There are some real advantages to being lost on the prairie. For one, you can see a heck of a lot farther in any direction than in a forest (sky included. Weather, you know). Birds nest on the ground so its pretty easy to find eggs. Water is really easy to get to. Fire building is pretty easy. Shelter isn't that tough.

Ooh. Ooh. I know. I know. F. Prairies, Toasta. As in, Little House on the...

RobertRogers
12-11-2007, 07:45 PM
C has the most potential, assuming it is not the dead of winter above, say, 43 or 44 north latitude in the US. In that case Jungle may be the best bet

Rick
12-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Hey, RR. Have you gone out to that site in your signature. "A toilet can save your life in a fire." Are you sh**in' me? (bad pun). Man that is just whacked out. I'm not suckin' methane gas from anybody's crapper. You'd go up in a ball of flame. Go zippin' around the room like a cheap party balloon.

Yeah, I know. It's filed under humor and it was pretty funny. Thanks.

hunty18
12-11-2007, 08:20 PM
I would have to chose C

trax
12-11-2007, 08:23 PM
C has the most potential, assuming it is not the dead of winter above, say, 43 or 44 north latitude in the US. In that case Jungle may be the best bet

Personally, I'd still pick C, just because I know the forest in winter as well. Jungles...not so much, I should probably put some effort into learning more about them.

Rick
12-11-2007, 08:38 PM
We should probably do the gathering in Sri Lanka. Jay could teach us all about the jungle. The winner would get to go home alive. Trip guns, man. :eek:

corndog-44
12-11-2007, 08:46 PM
C. Woodland (oak/conifer)...Nothing like the dark forest. Those others places would be fun to visit but I'd get lost for sure without a guide. Hey...I'm not full of pride. Maybe crap but not pride :D.

Sarge47
12-11-2007, 09:05 PM
G. Shopping Mall, at least there's a food court.:rolleyes:

wareagle69
12-11-2007, 09:19 PM
any where except e

Ole WV Coot
12-11-2007, 09:45 PM
C because I am already there, now all I need is to get lost.

Stealth
12-12-2007, 01:05 AM
c... i think the answer is going to be nearly unanimous

Smok
12-12-2007, 03:53 AM
Earth , on Earth yes most defiantly

Rick
12-12-2007, 08:49 AM
Am I gonna be all alone on the prairie (sniff)?

http://littlegreen.typepad.com/romansock/images/2007/09/27/dscn1241.jpg

Sarge47
12-12-2007, 12:43 PM
I think the question should read: "Where are you more likely to get lost?" I know that it's highly unlikely that I'd be at most of the places listed.:cool:

trax
12-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Earth , on Earth yes most defiantly

Way to take the fun out of it Smok, if they'd told me the poll only related to earth...geeez...:confused: LOL

Two Rivers
12-12-2007, 09:01 PM
Looks like the forest will be mighty crowded.

FVR
12-12-2007, 10:41 PM
My choice is the foothills of the mountains, aka praire.

http://http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/FrankV/thro8685.jpg

http://http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/FrankV/grsa0293.jpg

Maybe that's why my favorite rifles are "Great Plains Rifles."

Beo
12-13-2007, 10:15 AM
I'll go with C, then B, then A, then F, then D, and then E. But you forgot set adrift on an Iceberg that is 20 x 20 :D

Beo
12-13-2007, 10:20 AM
This is a tough one for me. There are some real advantages to being lost on the prairie. For one, you can see a heck of a lot farther in any direction than in a forest (sky included. Weather, you know). Birds nest on the ground so its pretty easy to find eggs. Water is really easy to get to. Fire building is pretty easy. Shelter isn't that tough.

Yeah the Wolves and coyotes can see ya better.
"hmmm," says the wolf, "theres dinner as soon as that starving human idiot goes to sleep, and I so hope he tries throwing that dumb azz stick at me like he did at my lunch, that bunny was mmmm, mmmm good. Now go to sleep little man :D And at night when that temp. drops down to around 32 -35 degrees, and the wind kicks up and slips inside your crappy made lean-to and Mr. Rattle R. Snake comes to visit you for a sleep over. Yeah prairie life ain't hard, if the Ingles did it so can you. :D

I'll take FVRs idea the most. But I'd prefer the northern forests of the U.S and Canada. Not really lost there.

Beo
12-13-2007, 10:33 AM
I think the question should read: "Where are you more likely to get lost?" I know that it's highly unlikely that I'd be at most of the places listed.:cool:

Then where you practice survival, hiking, camping, scouting, tracking, canoeing/boating, hunting, trapping, and fishing skills at. Oh yeah I forgot your a boy scout so its in your backyard.
And I know I'd never get totally lost in a forest, desert, mountains, or prairie because I would eventually find my route, within 30 to 60 minutes I'd bet. But at sea it may take me longer to figure out an estimate of time and direction. But then again I go into the wilderness as much as possible (well not deep water like the seas or ocean) :D

trax
12-13-2007, 01:04 PM
Well if a few more people pick C, we'll have a town out there anyway, so no one will get lost. Beo...wolves don't eat people stop spooking the kids.

Jay
12-13-2007, 01:23 PM
We should probably do the gathering in Sri Lanka. Jay could teach us all about the jungle. The winner would get to go home alive. Trip guns, man. :eek:

Come to Sri Lanka indeed!!!! I've just been reading the fitness & doughnut thread. the bunch of you'd probably eat me out of house and home!!! we got enough problems as it is...and now you want to create a famine!!!!!!!!!????????(j/k) I'm heading straight for B.

But seriously guys, I know there's been a lot of bad press about SL, but its not a bad place. If any of you ever show up here I'd be more than happy to show you around. No need to go to dangerous places...there's plenty to see and experience. Dont want to toot me own horn but its a beautiful country with an amazing bio-diversity. People are still pretty friendly and hospitable.
Did I mention amazing wildlife?? If any of you want to drop in let me know.

Rick
12-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Fitness and doughnut thread. Too funny!!!!

Beo
12-13-2007, 03:44 PM
Trax... shhhhhhh they don't know that :D Although it is myths like that that have hurt the wolf society. Hey ain't we a wolf society here :D

trax
12-13-2007, 03:51 PM
Jay...my organization got to play host to 15 Sri Lankan students a couple of years ago and I found them to be the most pleasant and polite young people I've met in a lot of years. I took a bunch of them to a traditional Ojibwe sweat lodge and many of them said it was the best experience they had of all the things they got to do in Canada.

Fitness and doughnut thread....well yeah, who could possibly have a problem with that?

Beo...welll duhhhh!!! (I've been shot at enough in this life thank you very much, LOL)

sticks65
12-14-2007, 12:05 PM
C then A i like camping in the snow on the mountains.

Rick
12-14-2007, 01:34 PM
Great, Sticks! How do you feel about shoveling out other peoples' driveways? Great guy that Sticks.

trax
12-14-2007, 03:45 PM
That Sticks is a great guy! We'll provide the driveways AND the shovels Sticks, you just gotta show up and provide the action. Thanks for letting me know Rick, my driveway needs a guy like Sticks. Great guy that Sticks!:D

Rick
12-14-2007, 03:51 PM
Now, everyone knows that shoveling driveways can cause heart attacks. So, in the interest of safety, just give a wave now and then, Sticks, so we know you're okay. We'll be watching out the window from time to time to keep an eye on you. Trax and I really really really appreciate this, buddy. You are a swell pal.

Anyone else need him to help?

trax
12-14-2007, 03:54 PM
Absolutely bud, what Rick said, we'll keep an eye on you, can't be too careful with personal safety.

nell67
12-14-2007, 03:56 PM
Now, everyone knows that shoveling driveways can cause heart attacks. So, in the interest of safety, just give a wave now and then, Sticks, so we know you're okay. We'll be watching out the window from time to time to keep an eye on you. Trax and I really really really appreciate this, buddy. You are a swell pal.

Anyone else need him to help?

Me!,I have a nice little 300 ft drive that will need shoveling,cause I am not gonna do it,LOL!

Rick
12-14-2007, 04:07 PM
can't be too careful with personal safety.

Well, yeah. This is a survival forum.

nell67
12-14-2007, 04:12 PM
Absolutely bud, what Rick said, we'll keep an eye on you, can't be too careful with personal safety.

I'll be there too with hot chocolate to warm you up every now and then!

Rick
12-14-2007, 04:14 PM
Oh, great. Now he'll start at her house and I'll be snowed in. I hate this but okay. Hot chocolate with marshmallows. Jeese, now we have a bidding war.

nell67
12-14-2007, 04:19 PM
Oh, great. Now he'll start at her house and I'll be snowed in. I hate this but okay. Hot chocolate with marshmallows. Jeese, now we have a bidding war.
Dont start Rick,cause you'll lose big time:D

trax
12-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Dont start Rick,cause you'll lose big time:D

Oh will he? Well, let's just get to whatever you're offering next and I'll see if I'm even going to join in this little bidding competition. Hmmm? :cool:

nell67
12-14-2007, 05:47 PM
darn you guys anyway,LOL I MEANT that I would be there with you guys,making sure he was ok,the hot chocolate was just being nice:p

trax
12-14-2007, 05:49 PM
well there ya go, sticks, managed to get the marshmallows thrown in without even trying. I knew that Rick caved too soon. do all 3 driveways and I'll send you to the Saturday matinee, LOL.

RobertRogers
12-14-2007, 06:33 PM
Hey, RR. Have you gone out to that site in your signature. "A toilet can save your life in a fire." Are you sh**in' me? (bad pun). Man that is just whacked out. I'm not suckin' methane gas from anybody's crapper. You'd go up in a ball of flame. Go zippin' around the room like a cheap party balloon.

Yeah, I know. It's filed under humor and it was pretty funny. Thanks.

Yeah Rick, too funny!

RobertRogers
12-14-2007, 06:36 PM
Personally, I'd still pick C, just because I know the forest in winter as well. Jungles...not so much, I should probably put some effort into learning more about them.

I agree. Of course it all depends. The reason I mention winter is that in some cases it will be hard to find food and stay warm (which requires even more food) in the winter. Of course you can also sometimes hunt much more easily when there is deep snow but if you do not know what you are doing you can easily freeze to death in short order too.

trax
12-14-2007, 06:54 PM
I agree. Of course it all depends. The reason I mention winter is that in some cases it will be hard to find food and stay warm (which requires even more food) in the winter. Of course you can also sometimes hunt much more easily when there is deep snow but if you do not know what you are doing you can easily freeze to death in short order too.

Can't argue wth that. It amazes me how easily people forget how dangerous winter weather can be in this part of the world because they're accustomed to getting from point a to b without their vehicle letting them down, when it happens, people are clueless. No planning etc.

Rick
12-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Clueless is probably the best possible word. It's easy for me to sit here in my 100 square foot two story home in front of my warm 30 cm fireplace and talk about winter survival. But there are .... I have no idea where I'm going with this. I just wanted to poke a little fun at Trax. Yuk, yuk, yuk, eh?

Jay
12-15-2007, 01:38 AM
[QUOTE=trax;15067]Jay...my organization got to play host to 15 Sri Lankan students a couple of years ago and I found them to be the most pleasant and polite young people I've met in a lot of years. I took a bunch of them to a traditional Ojibwe sweat lodge and many of them said it was the best experience they had of all the things they got to do in Canada.

Thanks Trax,
Nice of you to say so.
I envy them! I always had a soft spot for Native Americans/First Nation people. (I dont know what the current politically correct term is..)
I grew up reading Zane Grey,Louis L'Amour and the like. (my excuse was that it was a good way to learn english! my father wasn't impressed!!!) I've read about some of their beliefs and ceremonies. What impresses me most is their close and intimate relationship with the land and all its creatues. The sweat lodge is a sort of purification ritual isn't it?

I'd have given an arm and a leg to be there!

sticks65
12-15-2007, 06:46 AM
HA HA HA you guys.NO time to shovel your drives off to the mountains this morning for a couple of days to do some real survival but ill still have some hot choc if it is still going.

Rick
12-15-2007, 07:11 AM
Well! I never! Some people have no concept of generosity.

dilligaf2u2
12-15-2007, 08:52 AM
The Mall parking lot. K Mart parking lot. If you really want to test your survival skills Go shopping with my wife!

I would do the desert thing. I live in high desert. It is what I am used too.

Jungles suck. I have seen my share of them and don't want to see another one!

Dilligaf2u2

FVR
12-15-2007, 11:14 AM
I remember driving through a high desert on my way to Mammouth Mnt. in Ca. to do a little skiing, many, many, many years ago.

It was beautifyl. Flat for miles, with a 2" covering of snow.

Some things just stick in your mind. It was a good skiing trip, but the high desert was just awsome.

beerrunner13
12-15-2007, 03:52 PM
I would pick H. Gander Mountain or Bass Pro Shop :D if I can't I reckon C

Nativedude
12-15-2007, 06:40 PM
B. Jungle
D. Desert
E. Open Sea
F. Prairie

A and C for me. Actually both in one. With the hot chocolate and homemade marshmallows. . .Yummmmm!! :D

nell67
12-15-2007, 06:46 PM
A and C for me. Actually both in one. With the hot chocolate and homemade marshmallows. . .Yummmmm!! :D

Oh great,now I gotta look up the recipe for homemade marshmallows...

sh4d0wm4573ri7
12-16-2007, 07:30 AM
would be (c) first and (a) second these are my most comfortable types of terrain

Nativedude
12-17-2007, 10:32 PM
Oh great,now I gotta look up the recipe for homemade marshmallows...

Get to cookin' Nell. . .Lol! :D ;)