PDA

View Full Version : Dehydrating hash browns

dscrick
05-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Recently found a good deal on frozen shredded hash browns at the local GFS bulk food mart; 18 lbs (6 3 lb bags) for under $13.00. So I bought a few cases. This is what I do with them for food storage. You can dehydrate these frozen potatoes directly because they are blanched before freezing. Fresh potatoes would turn gray.

1. Here you can see 3 bags (9lbs) as they come packaged. On the right in the one gallon ziploc bag is 9 lbs after dehydrating

2. Here is an opened bag, ready to place on the dehydrator trays.

3. Spreading about one pound on the tray

4. Spread out and ready to load into the dehydrator

5. 9 trays in the dehydrator. Dry at 120 degrees for 6 to 8 hours or completely dry

I usually dry pack can these, you can put about 2.5 pounds worth ("Wet" weight) in a #2.5 can. Some I vacumn pack for backpacking/camping. Long shelf life when you use oxy absorbers.

Rehydrating/use is simple. Soak in lukewarm water for about 30 minutes, wring out excess water, fry as usual.

Pal334
05-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Great info!!! How long will they last after dehydrating? I love "taters" :)

dscrick
05-05-2010, 05:42 PM
Great info!!! How long will they last after dehydrating? I love "taters" :)

If properly packed these are good for 20 plus years according to several sources, maybe longer. I would take this to mean if dry pack canned with oxy absorbers.. A little less if packed in vacumn bags. But still quite awhile. Keep dry and cool and in the dark.

crashdive123
05-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Nice post and pictures. Thanks.