PDA

View Full Version : Crisco!

Winnie
05-05-2010, 03:38 PM
Well believe it or not, I've found somewhere that sells Crisco. I need a couple of questions answered please. #1 what is the spprox shelf life and #2 has anyone used the butter flavoured Crisco and does it taste buttery? Thanks!

kyratshooter
05-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Butter flavor is not that good. You do not eat Crisco straight anyway.

I have had it go bad but only after exposed to extreme heat, liker being left in the cabinet in the camper for a year!

In the house, on the shelf beside the stove, I have seen a can last for a year or more after being opened.

Crisco has all kinds of potential uses. I even use it as Black powder patch lube.

dscrick
05-05-2010, 04:31 PM
I looked up the website (link below). According to the manufacturer a can is good for 2 years if unopened and stored in a cool place.

Personally I know it will last MUCH longer if properly stored.

http://www.crisco.com/About_Crisco/faqs.aspx

smhg
05-05-2010, 05:03 PM
IMO:

The buttery flavor is my favorite when baking cookies, pie shells and other sweet stuff. I get a ton of compliments on my chocolate chip cookies, and the only big differences are that I use butter flavored crisco and Ghirardelli brand choc chips.

Regular crisco is better for everything else that you may not want to have any buttery flavor (pastry dough, etc.)

While it does not taste like butter by itself, it does add a little butter flavor to other things.

Winnie
05-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Thanks both. I think I'll get some to add to my stores, it seems a bit more verstile than oil. We don't have this sort of thing readiy available over here, not in cans, anyway.

Winnie
05-05-2010, 05:12 PM
You maust have posted while I was typing S! I thought about the butter flavoured for sweet things. Just wanted to know from someone who had used it. Many thanks!

Ken
05-05-2010, 05:18 PM
In addition to its more common uses, I heat it up in a 4 quart (liter :)) covered sauce pan (just about 1/4 inch of oil when it's melted) and use it to make popcorn. The real stuff, not that microwave kind.

Winnie
05-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Ooo popcorn! Oh and don't worry about the microwave stuff, I've never owned a microwave!

smhg
05-05-2010, 07:10 PM
In addition to its more common uses, I heat it up in a 4 quart (liter :)) covered sauce pan (just about 1/4 inch of oil when it's melted) and use it to make popcorn. The real stuff, not that microwave kind.

Great idea! We have not used a microwave in over 2 years (did not even bring one with me when we moved), and I have been just using regular oil for popcorn. I like this idea!

Rick
05-05-2010, 11:01 PM
Crisco is the berries for pie dough. Makes it light and fluffy. I can't say I've ever seen a can of Crisco go bad. I would imagine you could even make emergency candles with it. I've not done it but don't see why it wouldn't work.