PDA

View Full Version : Boat Building

corndog-44
12-11-2007, 02:28 AM
Anybody here build their own boats or canoes?

Here's my 2008 summer project. Flat Skiff 12...She's designed for rowing and outboards up to 7.5 hp but a small 1.5 hp outboard will move her at hull speed.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd207/corndog-44/FlatSkiff12.jpg

trax
12-11-2007, 12:09 PM
That's frickin' awesome CD. Seriously.

I once approached this Cree elder who did all the old traditional crafts, snowshoes, canoes, traps, hide scrapers, bows, dogsleds and dogsled whips....all from natural resources from the bush. His wife did all the leather work, mukluks, clothes mitts etc.

I told him I wanted to learn whatever he could teach me and I was prepared to cover any costs, or pay for his time if he wished, do all the work. Mostly wanted to make a traditional birchbark canoe. Actually, there were two of us, me and another guy. Anyway, he told us "go out in the bush and figure it out for yourself. That's what I did." He was actually quite kind about it, because he figured that the number of times we got it wrong would just make us that much better when we got it right, but we both just went home and pouted.

corndog-44
12-11-2007, 03:20 PM
Trax I haven't built the boat yet but I'm glad that you like the look of the skiff. Hope mine turns out looking like the one in the picture. I repaired a skiff when I lived along the river but have never built one. I thought the summer of 2008 would be a good time to start. The skiff is designed for the first time boat builder and it can be built in about 20 hours, but it will probably take me longer. It only cost around $200 to build it. I'll put progress pictures here on the site when I begin. Might make a video and see if Chris will give a $50 bill for it :D.

Alaskan Survivalist
05-06-2010, 05:06 AM
I tripped across this old thread and wondered if there is any current interest in the topic. Boat building and design is another of those oddball things I have learned and can simplify for those interested. It is a good option for people that cannot afford land.

your_comforting_company
05-06-2010, 06:43 AM
I'm definately interested in learning how to make a boat.
I'd rather not have to dedicate the amount of time it takes to burn a dugout. I will be following along with your post. Thanks AS.

mccaw69
05-06-2010, 11:00 AM
Thats something I've been debating on attempting.I'd like to try to build a canoe or a 12' marsh boat.Have'nt started it yet,kinda jittery about it.

Alaskan Survivalist
05-06-2010, 02:45 PM
Thats something I've been debating on attempting.I'd like to try to build a canoe or a 12' marsh boat.Have'nt started it yet,kinda jittery about it.

A Punt would be a better choice for a first time project. It will be more forgiving of weight and material choices.

Old GI
05-06-2010, 03:26 PM
As a kid, my buddies and I built a boat, about 8 foot, out of a lumber frame and canvas. Sealed the canvas with paint. Hint, if you don't make a sturdy floor, step only where the wood is! :blushing:

Alaskan Survivalist
05-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Canvas over wood frames is how the natives build their kayaks and are better in rough water because they are more flexable. Some of the best canoes made are canvas over wood strip planking.

randyt
05-06-2010, 04:35 PM
i am very interested to hear about boat building.

the closest i've come to boat building is small boats made from rough lumber. about 8 to 10 feet long. i would leave these at marshes and sloughs that i walked into during trapping season. the boat didn't cost much and leaked until it got wet and swelled up but it did the job. it's the best i had at the time.

Alaskan Survivalist
05-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Wood is the key to a quality boat. Old growth forests of oak, mahagony and teak have been depleted. I say old growth because the outer rings have the straighter grain prefered for building boats. Ideally you would begin with the tree and quarter saw your lumber yourself. Preservatives have come a long ways but they work even better with properly cut wood taking grain into account. Marine wood is expensive to purchase but If you have a good tree on your property I would not be able to resist building a boat. You southern guys have a much better selection of wood than the rest of us for building boats.

flandersander
05-07-2010, 01:49 AM
I've always kinda wanted to make a boat. Unfortunatly, i've been blessed with this lazy ***, that I simply can't get off of. So my dream remains. Sigh.

rebel
05-07-2010, 07:40 AM
I had to look up punt boat and found this site: http://koti.kapsi.fi/hvartial/
It looks doable.