PDA

View Full Version : Stalking for fun.

justin_baker
05-03-2010, 10:20 PM
Lately i have been stalking animals in the woods with no weapon , does anyone else do this? Its great practice and you learn a lot. Each time i get closer and closer to animals with out spooking them. Its in a state park so im obviously not going to be killing anything, but it gets you practice and into shape for when the hunting season rolls around.

crashdive123
05-03-2010, 10:41 PM
I sometimes do when I take pictures.

kyratshooter
05-04-2010, 12:02 AM
I have noted many times that you can walk up and touch some animals when You do not want to eat them. Same with sitting very still and letting them come to you.

They can smell hunger. I think it is theromones.

oldtrap59
05-05-2010, 01:33 PM
I spend alot of time in the woods and along the river bank. Last night as I was fishing I listened to the turkeys back in the timber for awhile.(Never got to see them) Also watched a pair of herons having a family disagreement. Oh yea. As it gets dark I can always enjoy one of the local beaver. Doesn't seem to mind me as long as I don't move around to much. I can't say how much I've learned over the years about wildlife this way but I know it's alot.

oldtrap

Have spent many hours like you're talking about also. Never hurts to find out how and where the wildlife beds down and moves when it comes time to go after the the steaks and ham.

kyratshooter
05-05-2010, 04:00 PM
One place I lived I had to kick the turkey off the patio to get inside. Had a resident flock of about 100.

They taught me how to talk turkey. I had a wingbone turkey call and I would sit and talk to them, watch their reaction. I got so I could call them to anywhere on the farm about any time I wanted to.

They have E-mail link to the WRA. The day season opened I would not see a turkey until season closed again.

Same with deer.

Old GI
05-05-2010, 04:42 PM
Don't people get arrested for that? Oh you mean ........... . Nevermind.:blushing:

RobertRogers
05-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Yes, this is excellent training. Watching animals without the intent of harvesting them, you learn their habits as well as hone your ability to stalk - which will come in handy should you really do need a meal!

Beans
05-11-2010, 02:48 AM
A person that is stalking either to gather game or just to take a photo has a different movement rhythm then just walking in their habiat.

I have seen more Deer, Turkey Etc just by walking through the woods and fields then I ever did while hunting.

Several of the shows I have watched on TV has shown an African lion, not on the hunt, walk by something that may end up being his dinner at a later time without alarming them. But when he start the stalking, they all become aware and alert.