PDA

View Full Version : I'm Back

pnut
12-10-2007, 04:18 AM
Sorry I haven't been on in a while. I work nights and try to sleep days. I've had alot of 12 hour nights and can't seem to get much rest. Does anyone out there know of something, other than prescription meds, that could help me sleep? I can't seem to get outdoors and do the things I enjoy on the weekends because I'm trying to get caught up on rest for the next weeks work. I'm planning on building a small cabin on the back side of my property to get away from the modern world once in awhile. But I can't even do that if I can't sleep. Any help would be appreciated.

nell67
12-10-2007, 07:59 AM
Chamomile tea is very good,passionflower,and lemon balm come to mind as well as warm milk,never tried the warm milk though,I like my milk cold unless its in hot chocolate!Avoiding caffeine :eek: 2 hours before you plan on trying to sleep as well as avoiding sweets:eek::eek:.

A warm bath with a few drops of lavender oil is said to work well too.

scabbyota
12-10-2007, 08:15 AM
I know how you feel. I work a 12 hr swing shift, one month days and one month nights.

Rick
12-10-2007, 09:18 AM
Pnut - Here are some suggestions:

http://www.helpguide.org/life/sleep_tips.htm

And some information on your circadian rhythm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadian_rhythm

Beo
12-10-2007, 09:22 AM
And this is survival how??????????

Stealth
12-10-2007, 10:14 AM
after 72 hours of no sleep you are clinically insane. so if you dont sleep, you die. see, its survival:D

Beo
12-17-2007, 08:38 AM
after 72 hours of no sleep you are clinically insane. so if you dont sleep, you die. see, its survival:D

You are not clinically insane after 72 hours of non sleep, in Ranger school we do squad patroling after having been up for more then 18 hours and then did a three day (72 hour) patrol and you have to be able to complete it or get dropped. Although exhausted it is a requirement in Ranger School, and no one was insane, sleep deprivation does not make you insane it only weakens your train of thought, so you have to focus (although it gets harder) and drive on to complete the Ranger obkective though you be the lone survivor. :D

Sarge47
12-17-2007, 10:43 AM
You are not clinically insane after 72 hours of non sleep, in Ranger school we do squad patroling after having been up for more then 18 hours and then did a three day (72 hour) patrol and you have to be able to complete it or get dropped. Although exhausted it is a requirement in Ranger School, and no one was insane, sleep deprivation does not make you insane it only weakens your train of thought, so you have to focus (although it gets harder) and drive on to complete the Ranger obkective though you be the lone survivor. :D

I heard you HAD to be insane to be a Ranger; any truth to that?:rolleyes:

Ole WV Coot
12-17-2007, 01:41 PM
Turn yourself around, takes a couple of weeks. Don't go to bed in the am when you get home. Have what you would eat for dinner, (pizza & beer). Get busy and do something active until about 4pm then another cold beer and to bed. Get up and eat breakfast and go to work. I worked nights 12-8 for 10yrs and usually 12hrs a day, 10 on 4 off if I got lucky. Good training for survival anywhere. You train your body to adjust. I pulled 12m to 12noon for over 40 days and didn't bother me.

Tactical Tom
12-17-2007, 01:54 PM
I worked hoot owl for a while & now I'm on a swing shift, we swing weekly.
1st week 7am-4pm / 2nd week 4:30pm - 1:30am . It's tough because you never get used to it, the change is just to often. :(

Beo
12-18-2007, 12:31 PM
Didn't mean to sound as if I was jumping on pnut, hope I didn't I was just stating that as a survivalist he can learn to switch his inner clock around if he has to, I worked second and third shift for years before I got to first shift, senority has its pirvies, but with will power I know he can do it.