PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Your Gas Tank Full

Ken
04-24-2010, 07:55 AM
If I had a nickle for every time I heard somebody say that they had to stop for gas for their car because they were almost on empty, I could probably buy my own gas station.

Ever hear anyone say, "I almost ran out of gas on the way here because I didn't have time to stop?"

Considering the myriad of reasons that we may have to bug out or drive a significant distance with no notice, stopping for gas because you're car is sitting in your driveway with only fumes in the tank could be a fatal or more than inconvenient delay. Even if you keep a store of gas at home, you may not have time to transfer it to your car or BOV.

Whenever my gas guage gets below 1/2 full, I stop for gas. Yep, I probably make twice as many stops that way, but I feel better knowing I have a full tank.

And by the way, many fuel pumps fail because they get overworked by constantly pumping from a tank that's running close to empty.

So, I keep my tank full. Just sayin'.

crashdive123
04-24-2010, 07:58 AM
Yep - 1/2 means time to get gas. It's a lot less painfull at the pump that way too. When gas was over $4 a gallon - and before they raised the amount that would pump on a pre-pay - I couldn't even get a half tank in my Silverado before the $50 auto cut off.

Rick
04-24-2010, 08:02 AM
Another good reason is fuel pumps embedded in the gas tank rely on the fuel to keep them cool.

"Your fuel pump relies on fuel passing through it for lubrication and cooling. Consequently, fuel starvation can be another factor that accelerates wear and may even cause pump damage under certain operating conditions."

http://www.autohausaz.com/html/fuelpumps.html

Ken
04-24-2010, 08:05 AM
Another good reason is fuel pumps embedded in the gas tank rely on the fuel to keep them cool.

"Your fuel pump relies on fuel passing through it for lubrication and cooling. Consequently, fuel starvation can be another factor that accelerates wear and may even cause pump damage under certain operating conditions."

http://www.autohausaz.com/html/fuelpumps.html

And by the way, many fuel pumps fail because they get overworked by constantly pumping from a tank that's running close to empty.

Just woke up, didn't ya? No coffee yet? :innocent:

Rick
04-24-2010, 08:07 AM
Oh, I thought you meant because they were sucking debris out of the tank. Okay.......

Ken
04-24-2010, 08:11 AM
Ain't got no debris in MY tank. :sneaky2: (:innocent:) I change my filters well BEFORE the manufacturer recommends it in the maintenance schedule.

2dumb2kwit
04-24-2010, 08:31 AM
Ain't got no debris in MY tank. :sneaky2: (:innocent:) I change my filters well BEFORE the manufacturer recommends it in the maintenance schedule.

Those filters keep debris in the tank from getting to the engine. They don't keep debris out of the tank.

That brings up another point. I don't get fuel from any place that I don't think does a large volume of sales. This way you have less of a chance of getting debris/water from their tanks.

(I'll explain this further, if need be.)

Ken
04-24-2010, 08:42 AM
Every 25,000 miles..........

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/fuel-19.htm

2dumb2kwit
04-24-2010, 08:56 AM
Every 25,000 miles..........

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/fuel-19.htm

Granted, that's a filter that most people don't know that they have, but it doesn't change anything in my post. In fact, it illustrates what a pain it is to fix, if you get fuel with debris in it.

Justin Case
04-24-2010, 09:00 AM
empty gas tanks will rust also .....

Ken
04-24-2010, 09:11 AM
Granted, that's a filter that most people don't know that they have, but it doesn't change anything in my post. In fact, it illustrates what a pain it is to fix, if you get fuel with debris in it.

Notice the ":innocent:" in my post "Ain't got no debris in MY tank. :sneaky2: (:innocent:)"

I don't wait 'till this becomes a problem. I replace the screen every 25K miles. That is, my mechanic does. I also flush the cooling system, flush the engine oil, service the tranny BEFORE problems develop, replace bulbs that haven't burned out yet,...........

Here's a good read: "The Engine Oil Bible" http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

2dumb2kwit
04-24-2010, 09:24 AM
Notice the ":innocent:" in my post "Ain't got no debris in MY tank. :sneaky2: (:innocent:)"

I don't wait 'till this becomes a problem. I replace the screen every 25K miles. That is, my mechanic does. I also flush the cooling system, flush the engine oil, service the tranny BEFORE problems develop, replace bulbs that haven't burned out yet,...........

Here's a good read: "The Engine Oil Bible" http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

Well, in that case, I guess we should tell people that it doesn't matter if they get gas a a place that has a better chance of having debris/water/rust in their fuel......right?:innocent:

Ken
04-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Well, in that case, I guess we should tell people that it doesn't matter if they get gas a a place that has a better chance of having debris/water/rust in their fuel......right?:innocent:

You're missing my point. :hammer: Of course we should. Especially places where the pumps look like this:

http://alshurafa.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/DSCF0012.JPG

Justin Case
04-24-2010, 09:34 AM
We have an old station with a pump like that,,, her Name is "Ethyl" (sp?):blushing:

2dumb2kwit
04-24-2010, 09:34 AM
You're missing my point. :hammer: Of course we should. Especially places where the pumps look like this:

That's what I was going to say! LOL

I wasn't messing with you....I was trying to make the point, that people should be careful where they buy fuel, for these reasons.

Sheez.....For the first time ever, (according to some) I was making a useful post, and you're busting my...well, you know.:innocent:

welderguy
04-24-2010, 09:45 AM
I am a beleiver in keeping my tanks full, my old beast has 2 tanks one 27 gal the other is 13 when the 13 gal reaches a 1/4 I switch to the other tank refill the 13 gallon then run the big tank to 1/4 and refill .
Now my sister on the other hand puts 5.00 at a time in her van, no joke 5.00 . and she will stop 5 times a day as soon as her low fuel light comes on she adds 5.00 .

oldsoldier
04-24-2010, 10:49 AM
Yeah I try to keep my tank at 1/2 tank or better always. Plus I have 4 5 gallon gas cans In a rack on my ieep at all times ( I rotate them out monthly) If things go bad chances are gas stations will run out of fuel quickly IF they have the electricity to pump it to start with.

Alaskan Survivalist
04-24-2010, 11:36 AM
empty gas tanks will rust also .....

Company policy where I work is to keep tanks full to prevent condensation. Bigger problem in cold climates with greater fluctuations in temperature.

DOGMAN
04-24-2010, 04:03 PM
Well it must be nice to always have enough money to fill-up. I often drive around nearly on empty because I don't have the cash to put gas in.

pete lynch
04-24-2010, 04:32 PM
My truck has a 34 gallon tank, but I treat it like a 17 gallon tank.
I've had it for 5 years and have only put more than 20 gallons in it once.

crashdive123
04-24-2010, 07:40 PM
When I was younger and on a trip, I might drive 6 or 8 hours without a break. Anymore - I've got about a half a tank bladder.

randyt
04-24-2010, 08:03 PM
i fill my tank up every time it gets to half. with the way gas can fluctuate in price i see it as a investment.

hoosierarcher
04-26-2010, 08:50 PM
The only times my vehicles go below half a tank is when I'm broke and when I am driving a long distance. I'm looking into making my own biodiesel and converting a couple of vehicles a truck and a station wagon to run on it and make it out of restaurant waste fryer oil. Having a good friend that is a diesel mechanic will help in this endeavor.
Recently in Europe they got 147 mpg on biodiesel in a four cylinder turbo diesel engine vehilcle. If I can get a Marine Corps surplus diesel motorcycle I'll try converting that too.
Oh I should warn you though a local guy got prosecuted for not paying his excise tax. He has been using what we now call biodiesel since the 70s. I talked to him before his arrest. He was getting 31 mpg with a Volvo AWD station wagon for pennies a gallon.Funny how it took this so called "greenest administration in history" to seek out and confiscate all the biodiesel pioneer's worldly possessions.

hunter63
04-27-2010, 10:32 AM
When I was younger and on a trip, I might drive 6 or 8 hours without a break. Anymore - I've got about a half a tank bladder.

LOL, I have to agree with this one.

Good subject, though, and a lot of good reasons already given.
My reasons are:
1) Full tank..........so if there is anything I need to do, or place I have to go, I'm ready now, sort of a basic SHTF/BOV prep, strategy, basic planning, what ever you want to call it.
(Look at my BOB, ain't it cool! lots of gear, TP/ammo, oops, out of gas, gotta stop....)

How many reports of disasters shown with people lined up at empty gas stations, sorry, I'll be down the road.

And a heck of a lot more convenient.

(Pet peeve, riding with some one, have to be somewhere at/or before a certain time, have to stop for fuel, coffee, food etc...I could have slept in another half hour)

2) Cost pretty much the same to operate off the top of the tank as the bottom of the tank, prices will vary, but will even out.

3) Pick your spot for fueling, (2D2K, real good point).
At home,..... price, convenience, (no, NOT driving 30 miles to save a dime), cute cashier
Trip.... I stay close to main brand, newer stations, had several bad experiences in Arkansas, mom and pop places, truck ran like crap till I was able to fill up with good stuff.

4) I do believe it keeps moisture, rust from tank, and fuel pump protection.

Had an old Chevy as a young man, ran on bottom of tank, always.
One day, came into some cash, and trying to be a bigshot, filled it up.......
Hole in tank, half tank leak out thru pin holes, and had to replace the tank.

Rick
04-27-2010, 12:51 PM
See? That right there is what I'm talkin' about. Murphy's Law. Why couldn't the pin hole have been in the bottom half so you could have kept the top half filled? Ain't it always the way?

hunter63
04-27-2010, 05:31 PM
See? That right there is what I'm talkin' about. Murphy's Law. Why couldn't the pin hole have been in the bottom half so you could have kept the top half filled? Ain't it always the way?

Ain't that the truth?
If I would have kept putting in $2.00 buck worth (about 6 gals), I would have never noticed it...........of course that was a while ago.........