PDA

View Full Version : A non drivers Back up BOB

Winnie
04-23-2010, 11:15 AM
I've been giving this a lot of thought lately. Most of you have BOBs in your vehicles that can act as a back up. Now I have no idea how many other members don't drive and therefore maybe don't have a 2nd BOB. So these are just my thoughts on an idea. I've recently started putting a few bits and peices together in a small Rucksack for storage in my shed. This seemed the most sensible place for me to have a 2nd BOB, just in case. It doesn't have the same "stuff" my main BOB has, but will do for a night or two and it's accessible, if for some reason I can't get into the house. I did worry that as the main BOB is by the back door, what if I had to use another exit? All my plans would have been for nought. Just a few musings that might be of use.

Pal334
04-23-2010, 11:21 AM
Good thought. Always good to have an alternative in place that best suits your situation. Is a good reminder that preparations are not a "cookie cutter " process

BENESSE
04-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Winnie, I don't have a car nor another BOB. (I do drive, and rent cars any time I feel like getting out of the city) My BOB is under my bed so if I happen to be elsewhere, say at work, I'm out of luck. NYC is extremely impractical when it comes to owning cars or having caches. That's just a limitation I am learning to live with 'til I figure out something that makes more sense. However, my wheels are always turning for a better plan.

Justin Case
04-23-2010, 12:22 PM
I dont think anybody can be "Too Prepared" :)

Winnie
04-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Winnie, I don't have a car nor another BOB. (I do drive, and rent cars any time I feel like getting out of the city) My BOB is under my bed so if I happen to be elsewhere, say at work, I'm out of luck. NYC is extremely impractical when it comes to owning cars or having caches. That's just a limitation I am learning to live with 'til I figure out something that makes more sense. However, my wheels are always turning for a better plan.

Bee, the stuff I've collected together including food fits into a very small Rucksack with dimesions of about 12"x18"x6". Could you keep a tiny one like that at work?

Rick
04-23-2010, 12:42 PM
Winnie - To add to your thoughts. My bag is designed to get me home. If I happen to be in the city (or anywhere else) and something happens then I want to make certain I can get home. Of course, I also want it to sustain me if I break down in the back country (not a whole lot of that around here) or need something "extra" when I'm out in the woods.

If you ride the bus or other public transportation then a rucksack would be just the thing to get you back home. Most are unobtrusive and won't draw attention to you, which is exactly what you want.

Winnie
04-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Now there's another thought! This little Rucksack would be perfect! It's not stuffed full and doesn't weigh much. I posted a couple of pics of what I got to go in it, in the "What did you do this week....." thread. The water carrier is for the house though:) Although thinking about it......

Alaskan Survivalist
04-23-2010, 01:05 PM
I tried to put together the smallest kit I thought would be of any practical use that may be useful. It is bigger than an Altoid tin but should still fit in your purse with room for your normal stuff too. It all fits in the black pouch that has belt loops on it except Sierra cup and measures about 3x6 inches. In the blue stuff sack is a 5x7 foot poncho.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_1115.jpg

Rick
04-23-2010, 01:08 PM
To the right of the BIC is a monocular...correct? I just wanted to make certain it wasn't another flashlight.

Alaskan Survivalist
04-23-2010, 01:12 PM
To the right of the BIC is a monocular...correct? I just wanted to make certain it wasn't another flashlight.

Yes and there is a magnifying glass folded into to the compass too. My eyesight isn't what it once was. Someday I may adding a cane and box of Depends. Thanks for drawing attention to my age.

Rick
04-23-2010, 01:25 PM
You're most welcome. I try to help when I can. Don't feel bad, however. I'm looking for an all terrain wheelchair to keep me going.

http://www.tankchair.com/img/img2.jpg

Winnie
04-23-2010, 01:28 PM
That IS small AS. I think I've covered all the bases with what I've got/getting for my situation. Once it's all together I'll take a pic.

BENESSE
04-23-2010, 01:32 PM
Bee, the stuff I've collected together including food fits into a very small Rucksack with dimesions of about 12"x18"x6". Could you keep a tiny one like that at work?

I do have some basic stuff at work but it's hardly a BOB.
One advantage of living & working in Manhattan is that I can always make it home on foot in less than an hour and to either river in 1/2hr.
Central Park (843 acres) is also very close, and as I'm learning, has all sorts of wild edibles year round.
Guess it could be better but it could be a lot worse too.

Alaskan Survivalist
04-23-2010, 01:37 PM
You're most welcome. I try to help when I can. Don't feel bad, however. I'm looking for an all terrain wheelchair to keep me going.

http://www.tankchair.com/img/img2.jpg

This is the kind of caring and compassion I am counting on in my Golden years.

BENESSE
04-23-2010, 01:38 PM

Here's mine:

Alaskan Survivalist
04-23-2010, 01:49 PM
That IS small AS. I think I've covered all the bases with what I've got/getting for my situation. Once it's all together I'll take a pic.

You should also try to use things in as many ways as you can. The less you carry the more creative you have to be.

Winnie
04-23-2010, 02:33 PM
The main BOB covers all of that and more, Sjj. This little one is in case I can't get to it. I thought it may be worth sharing:)

Alaskan Survivalist
04-23-2010, 03:11 PM
I like hiking/ultralight back packing and have been doing it long enough to see the evolution of gear and techniques. The old school way was just not carry it. Making do with a wool blanket and a few odds and ends rolled inside it. Advances in materials and design has made it possible to bring much more and still keeping it to a weight you don't notice. I use mine as one step in a progression of kits. This kit fits into a pocket of my fanny pack that has more and it straps to my pack that has even more. If I understand OP correctly your intention is to always have access to it which adds size limitations to the equation. There has been much posted on pocket carry items that may give you some ideas. It's hard to carry much in a small package but I think on things that will be helpful to improvise other things into what you need and only carry what you can't otherwise make is the approach I take.

Pal334
04-23-2010, 04:20 PM
I do have some basic stuff at work but it's hardly a BOB.
One advantage of living & working in Manhattan is that I can always make it home on foot in less than an hour and to either river in 1/2hr.
Central Park (843 acres) is also very close, and as I'm learning, has all sorts of wild edibles year round.
Guess it could be better but it could be a lot worse too.

I have always thought that your type of situation (big city) probably poses more challenges in the prep area than those of us in the more urban settings. In general, what kind of things do you keep at work? I am fairly certain that it will have to be sans weapons.

Rick
04-23-2010, 04:24 PM
I can always make it home on foot in less than an hour and to either river in 1/2hr.

That's probably true and I hope it always is but it could be a dangerous assumption if something bad happened...again.

Winnie
04-23-2010, 05:22 PM
Well to give you all a laugh, I actually "road tested" my main BOB in the garden. I spent 2 comfy nights and a 3rd not so comfy(I ran out of tea and chocolate, that's been remedied) It gave me a chance to see what worked, what didn't, what I needed and what was useless. The postman thought I'd completely lost the plot. As the only member of the F.A.R.T European Division it also gave me that little bit more confidence.
Oh the other thing I did was take it for a walk. I managed to comfortably carry it for about 4 miles.

Edit; I agree that Bee's situation is a far more difficult one to be in. Just another thought though Bee, can you rent a drop box somewhere long term to store a BOB?

BENESSE
04-23-2010, 05:58 PM
I have always thought that your type of situation (big city) probably poses more challenges in the prep area than those of us in the more urban settings. In general, what kind of things do you keep at work? I am fairly certain that it will have to be sans weapons.

I have a small, very light day-pack (7.5oz tops) with the following inside:

* Maps of Manhattan & outer boroughs, subway & bus
* House key, $200 in small bills & roll of quarters, bus/subway card
* Surefire LED flashlight, matches, Bic lighter
* Victorinox Fieldmaster tool
* Mace (Pepper spray)
* Smoke Hood 15-20 min of breathable air (never tested)
* Basic first aid stuff, antibacterial hand cleanser, personal hygiene stuff
* Change of clothing, old hiking shoes, rain poncho, space blanket, gloves
* Sunglasses & reading glasses
* 3, 16oz bottles of H2O, 6 Zone bars, assorted packets of instant Miso soup, coffee, oatmeal, sm. bag of raw almonds & walnuts.
* Titanium mug

These things stay in the pack permanently.
Then there's the purse carry that has some of the same things as above.

I am constantly changing things, evolving really into making smarter choices for where I am and the limitations I live with.

Rick
04-23-2010, 06:02 PM
Good show both of you!! Practice does make perfect or pretty darn good at least.

Benesse - Check to see if this is the hood you have.

http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PREREL/PRHTML06/06144.html

BENESSE
04-23-2010, 06:21 PM
That's probably true and I hope it always is but it could be a dangerous assumption if something bad happened...again.

Rick, you are absolutely right and I can think of endless scenarios far worse than before, where putting my head between my knees, etc., etc. would most likely be my best option.
Without going nuts (so easy to do) about every single what if, I am trying to reasonably prepare for the most likely and build from there.
And you know, some things may not even be worth surviving when you really think about it. I don't often "go there" but it is there.

BENESSE
04-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Good show both of you!! Practice does make perfect or pretty darn good at least.

Benesse - Check to see if this is the hood you have.

http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PREREL/PRHTML06/06144.html

It's this one-- http://www.bestsafetyapparel.com/broflima.html but I only got 2 single ones from Amazon (for me & Mr. B)
Sounds good on paper although I wish I heard from someone first hand who used it.

Alaskan Survivalist
04-23-2010, 06:39 PM
I have a small, very light day-pack (7.5oz tops) with the following inside:

* Maps of Manhattan & outer boroughs, subway & bus
* House key, $200 in small bills & roll of quarters, bus/subway card
* Surefire LED flashlight, matches, Bic lighter
* Victorinox Fieldmaster tool
* Mace (Pepper spray)
* Smoke Hood 15-20 min of breathable air (never tested)
* Basic first aid stuff, antibacterial hand cleanser, personal hygiene stuff
* Change of clothing, old hiking shoes, rain poncho, space blanket, gloves
* Sunglasses & reading glasses
* 3, 16oz bottles of H2O, 6 Zone bars, assorted packets of instant Miso soup, coffee, oatmeal, sm. bag of raw almonds & walnuts.
* Titanium mug

These things stay in the pack permanently.
Then there's the purse carry that has some of the same things as above.

I am constantly changing things, evolving really into making smarter choices for where I am and the limitations I live with.

Looks like a good kit! Smoke hood indicates just what different challenges we face and yes I can see the importance of it although I would not have thought of it. I wonder how many may have been saved on 9-11 with such preparations? Being at what is sure to be ground zero would keep me nervous all the time.

BENESSE
04-23-2010, 06:49 PM
I agree that Bee's situation is a far more difficult one to be in. Just another thought though Bee, can you rent a drop box somewhere long term to store a BOB?

Winnie, I am on the fence about it because everything reasonably close is in high rise buildings. Then there are some outside of Manhattan, (off the island) and I am just not sure which way I'll end up bugging out depending on what particular SHTF.
Even though it might make sense, it's not realistic for me to cache in 3 different locations just in case one of them ends up being more convenient.
Feels like I am either playing chess, or gambling.

Pal334
04-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Benesse,, Thank you for sharing that. Well thought out. Like AS says, both you and Winnie have a different environment than many here and you both seem to be heads and shoulders above the masses. Congratulations to both of you, and may you never have to use your kits.

Perhaps the only addition you may consider if space is available are a set of goggles (the type to keep dust out) as I recall that was a big issue on 9/11. Would go a long way on your being able to see when and or if you have to go.

BENESSE
04-23-2010, 06:58 PM
Looks like a good kit! Smoke hood indicates just what different challenges we face and yes I can see the importance of it although I would not have thought of it. I wonder how many may have been saved on 9-11 with such preparations? Being at what is sure to be ground zero would keep me nervous all the time.

One doesn't have to be too imaginative to conjure up the possibilities. And if I allowed myself, I would definitely be much more nervous than I already am.

Alaskan Survivalist
04-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Would a small transister radio to stay apprized of emergency broadcasts be advisable?

BENESSE
04-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Benesse,, Thank you for sharing that. Well thought out. Like AS says, both you and Winnie have a different environment than many here and you both seem to be heads and shoulders above the masses. Congratulations to both of you, and may you never have to use your kits.

Perhaps the only addition you may consider if space is available are a set of goggles (the type to keep dust out) as I recall that was a big issue on 9/11. Would go a long way on your being able to see when and or if you have to go.

Great point!
I have them at home but I really should have them in my work pack.That, and a short wave radio. We already each have one in our home BOBs, and one just for home use. This survival proposition is getting real expensive--seems like it might be cheaper to just "buy the farm" when the time comes.

Pal334
04-23-2010, 07:28 PM
Great point!
I have them at home but I really should have them in my work pack.That, and a short wave radio. We already each have one in our home BOBs, and one just for home use. This survival proposition is getting real expensive--seems like it might be cheaper to just "buy the farm" when the time comes.

Maybe the cheap ones at the Home Depot type store would work. Under $5 each, not great optical clarity, but would be an eye full of dust.

BENESSE
04-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Would a small transister radio to stay apprized of emergency broadcasts be advisable?

Absolutely!
Should have one in the work BOB--it's been in the back of my mind but have been putting it off.

Winnie
04-24-2010, 04:21 AM
Ah, now here's something else I've been thinking on. My reliance on batteries. I'm giving some thought about getting a couple of these;
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=388758

Still thinking about it. Are they worth the money?

Winnie
04-24-2010, 06:02 AM
Thanks for the info Sjj, I'll bear what you've said in mind. I'm a complete techno dolly, so have very little idea of how these things work!

Rick
04-24-2010, 07:51 AM
Would you pay $12 for that radio? Minimum purchase is $25. :sneaky2:

https://www.gsaadvantage.gov/advgsa/advantage/catalog/product_detail.do?contractNumber=GS-14F-0027K&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&itemNumber=EL030004

BENESSE
04-24-2010, 10:17 AM
This is my favorite. Doesn't hurt that it is inexpensive. Keep loaded with 2AA lithium. http://www.countycomm.com/gp4light.htm

Your surefire is a mighty fine light. I think lighting deserve redundancy. I personally would "also" carry a very small AA flashlight that will last a very long time.

I'm very impressed with both Benesse's and Winnie's prepardness efforts. Makes me feel good about this forum.

Thanks sjj, I just ordered it. Love the size, the price is right and the fact that you're recommending it...well, priceless.:)

BENESSE
04-24-2010, 11:38 AM
Benesse,

I believe you will be happy with the radio. I know you have already ordered, but just wanted to say that depending on where you are at, if you want to get decent function from the short wave its best to have the little "retreivable" thin wire antenna they also sell if you don't already have such and/or handy enough to make your own. In my case, Short Wave just barely comes in regardless. If things haven't changed, it will come with little ear buds, but any ear buds will work. Use of the ear buds will extend the battery life double at least. They are small enough that I would include them in the kit.

You probably noticed that they sell these little radios wrapped in military/government brown paper bag. Truth is they drop these out of airplanes to third world folks during emergencies. They have always worked for me and I like them, my favorite - but do not expect big radio sound with their little speakers or you will be dissapointed.

If I had known you were going to be making an order - I would have suggested a couple other things they offer :)

Suggest away please!
Between my BOB, my husband's BOB, and each one of our work packs, I'm always moving things around between the 4, trying to improve, save space, anticipate a new need, etc. etc. It helps enormously to have a personal recommendation of someone who's opinion & experience I respect.

BENESSE
04-24-2010, 12:06 PM
You are too quick. You copied and pasted before I was finished editing. I had deleted my offer of suggestion for other stuff - because I can't stand the pressure.

You can't imagine pressure 'til you try to assemble stuff, you have no personal experience with for a need that might or might not arise in a place where anything can happen. :blushing:

Winnie
04-24-2010, 12:12 PM
You can't imagine pressure 'til you try to assemble stuff, you have no personal experience with for a need that might or might not arise in a place where anything can happen. :blushing:

I'll take your word for it Bee! It's been bad enough deciding what's necessary for me. I don't mean any offence, but I'd hate to be in your shoes, there's a whole other bunch of stuff you have to think about!

BENESSE
04-24-2010, 12:25 PM
I'll take your word for it Bee! It's been bad enough deciding what's necessary for me. I don't mean any offence, but I'd hate to be in your shoes, there's a whole other bunch of stuff you have to think about!

No offense taken Winnie, you are absolutely right.
Actually living with the target on your back is not nearly as hard as the knowledge that you can't prepare for it properly even when you know how.

Alaskan Survivalist
04-24-2010, 12:48 PM
No offense taken Winnie, you are absolutely right.
Actually living with the target on your back is not nearly as hard as the knowledge that you can't prepare for it properly even when you know how.

I think more are in that situation than is known. I have studied luck using scientific methods and while odds can be affected the only control you have over luck is to open the door to possibilties. There is a diffrerence between possibility and probability. If you buy a lottery ticket the odds of winning are 1 in a million but infinately greater than not buying the ticket. Give yourself a fighting chance and you have done your part. You may be able to change the odds with more preparation but you can't change your luck. No matter what the odds only one lottery ticket is drawn and when the time comes you will be locked into one coarse of action. Your odds may be bad, but hows your luck?

BENESSE
04-24-2010, 01:03 PM
I think more are in that situation than is known. I have studied luck using scientific methods and while odds can be affected the only control you have over luck is to open the door to possibilties. There is a diffrerence between possibility and probability. If you buy a lottery ticket the odds of winning are 1 in a million but infinately greater than not buying the ticket. Give yourself a fighting chance and you have done your part. You may be able to change the odds with more preparation but you can't change your luck. No matter what the odds only one lottery ticket is drawn and when the time comes you will be locked into one coarse of action. Your odds may be bad, but hows your luck?

That's all I'm trying to do--change the odds & hedge my bets.
As for luck, I never count on it. I could say that I've been lucky so far but that can change in a millisecond. Just don't want to be there when it does.:innocent:

Alaskan Survivalist
04-24-2010, 02:25 PM
That's all I'm trying to do--change the odds & hedge my bets.
As for luck, I never count on it. I could say that I've been lucky so far but that can change in a millisecond. Just don't want to be there when it does.:innocent:

I never discount luck, good or bad. I said this as how I deal with things to remove worry. Once I have done what I can It's time to just accept whatever happens. I have come to about the end of my preparations and will for all intents and purposes be putting my preparations in a box only to be opened in case of emergency. I have already gotten away from other forums that talk politics and other types of disaster because I have made my preparations to deal with it when it comes. Why think about it anymore? I have 2 projects yet to complete and when done I probably will not even give any of this stuff a second thought, just put it all in a box and hope all it does is gather dust. I'm getting back to the life I knew before I became aware. I was happier then and now I will be happy and prepared.

Winnie
04-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Just ad a thought Bee. If space is a constraint on your work pack, how about a pair of cheapy swimming goggles? they take up no room at all.

Rick
04-24-2010, 02:54 PM
but I understand that is not because they are stealth; rather, don't want to drive customers away.

The only known photo of our president.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mpjbXhcFrIA/SezOv_f29sI/AAAAAAAAB1c/Q6hkzgfsGKk/s400/Monkey_reads_in_bed.jpg

Benesse et. al. - Don't lose site of the fact that you start preparing for the most probable event (most likely weather related or fire) and work your way toward the least likely event. All of us are in that boat but we want to spend our resources where we get the biggest bang for our bucks.

BENESSE
04-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Just ad a thought Bee. If space is a constraint on your work pack, how about a pair of cheapy swimming goggles? they take up no room at all.

You just reminded me that I do have a pair of motorcycle goggles that I bought years ago to keep the wind and debris out of my eyes during particularly windy days in the city. They look just like these and take little room. (now where did I put them?)

Winnie
04-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Try THAT drawer in the kitchen, you know the one.:blushing:

Alaskan Survivalist
05-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Winnie, I have added another thing to the kit that I would ordinarily have anyway just made it more useful. I made a belt using strap material and a 3 dollar buckle I purchased at REI. They have a small section with different kinds of plastic fittings to customize straps that I have found to be great for backpacking. I also save plastic fittings whenever I find them.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_1137.jpg

Backpacking gets you thinking about dual purposes and this style belt will do much more than hold the kit on my hip or hold my pants up. It is capable of complete adjustment and can be used as a cinch strap, tourniquet, and is wide enough to be wraped several times to apply pressure or be used as splint. Heavy enough to be used as climbing harness in emergency situation and propably a alot purposes that will not occur to me until the situation arrises. It is also soft enough to be worn over shoulder as strap to carry a load.

Winnie
05-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Well, I've finished putting it together now. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Alaskan Survivalist
05-12-2010, 01:25 PM
My curiousity is peaked. Can't wait.

Winnie
05-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Ooops! Forgot! Later.

Winnie
05-12-2010, 03:16 PM
So here it is. Bear in mind this is for emergencies, and not a wilderness survival pack.
The contents are:
Emergency shelter and cordage
2 emergency blankets
Waterproof jacket
plastic bin liner
disposable dishcloths
2 main meals, cereal bars, packet soup.
Basic first aid kit.
Mess tin
Enamel cup
Lighter with torch
mini lantern
fuel tabs
penknife
3 pairs socks(with underwear)
Pair PJ's
Toothbrush
Baby wetwipes
Hairbrush

There's also 2L bottle of water and my wellington boots in the shed.

I still haven't put in tea and coffee, and I want to store each subdivision in ziplock bags. It's not exhaustive, but it covers the basics if need be.

Alaskan Survivalist
05-12-2010, 03:38 PM
I like it. Looks like some useful items. I think I have a better understanding of what you are trying do seeing your kit. I have one concern that you may want to do something about having warmth. Does it get cold in England? If it does I would consider gloves, wool scarf and a wool hat or what ever you need to stay warm in your environment. The waterproof coat makes good sense if it is warm enough by itself. One item you may be interested in are survival candles. I have seen them with as many a six wicks and can be used for light, heat and even cooking. I have some that cost about 5 dollars and will burn 36 hours on one wick, 24 on two or 12 hours on all three and produce enough heat to heat small space like an automobile if stranded. Easier and faster than building a fire. They could replace your lantern and stove.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_0972-1.jpg

Winnie
05-12-2010, 03:58 PM
I suppose cold is relative AS! Compared to what you suffer, no. But I think -12 C IS! The socks are thermal, and I'm not sure how well those survival blanket things work, and to be honest I hadn't thought of hats etc. Many will tell you here I'm hopeless at starting a fire with one of those firestarter things (two have been hurled at speed over the fence in frustration), hence the fuel tabs and lighter to get a fire going. I like the look of those candles though, I can see the sense in having a couple of those in there. Thankyou!

Pal334
05-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Looks like a good setup. Good start

crashdive123
05-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Nice start Winnie.