PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some more Mexican food recipes.

Winnie
04-21-2010, 08:28 AM
Now the weather is improving, I'm looking for more recipes for outdoor eating. I like Mexican food but the range is pretty limited out in the sticks.
I can get hold of Tacos and Tortillas, corn and flour types and probably most of the other ingredients. What I need now are some tried and tested recipes that I can enjoy eating outside that the girls won't like!
So what I'm looking for are recipes other than the regular Chilli, Tacos, Enchiladas and Burittos!
Thankyou!:)

Pal334
04-21-2010, 10:04 AM
Try this:http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/easy_black_beans_and_rice/

Easy Black Beans and Rice Recipe
Print Options
Print (no photos)
Print (with photos)
Ingredients
1 cup uncooked white rice
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced (for added flavor you can substitute roasted red bell peppers or some chopped pimentos)
3 cloves minced garlic
2 16-ounce cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
2 Tbsp white vinegar
A few dashes of Tabasco or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 heaping Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional Lime wedges and cilantro for garnish
Method
1 Cook rice according to package instructions. White rice usually takes 15 minutes to cook once the water is simmering, and 10 minutes to sit.

2 Heat oil in a large skillet on medium high. Sauté onions and bell peppers for 3-4 minutes, until just beginning to soften, then add garlic and sauté a minute more. Add the black beans, vinegar and Tabasco or cayenne. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.

3 Stir in rice and oregano. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Serves 6.

This one is one of my favorites , although not Mexican (I am partial to Puerto Rican cusine)

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Authentic-Puerto-Rican-Rice-and-Beans-96710

Directions
1Made by Goya brand and can be found in the Spanish/Latin section of your grocery store Cook white rice as instructions on package of rice say to (5 minute rice is perfectly fine).
2make sure when you are done cooking to let excess water out of rice.
3In saucepan, heat oil on low-medium heat and put in the ham, salted pork, or canadian bacon.
4once it starts to sizzle, add the garlic powder and adobo seasoning.
5Then add the Sofrito and Sazon con Azafran seasoning, stir.
6Next add red beans (drain most of liquid, just a little bit is needed to pull the sauce together).
7Mix and serve.
8(in Puerto Rico, it is traditional to serve rice and beans with almost every meal, but mainly with pork chops (cooked with a little sofrito and adobo seasoning) on the side).
9Enjoy (a wonderful recipe straight from the island).

Winnie
04-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Thanks Pal! Keep them coming folks!

Justin Case
04-21-2010, 11:06 AM
well, grilling beans are not am option, They fall through the grill,,

But seriously,, Making good salsa is fun and rewarding,, I have a good recipe around her someplace, I will look for it :)

Ken
04-26-2010, 09:22 PM
*the power of suggestion*

Thanks, Winnie. Ever since I read this thread, I've been craving Mexican food. Today was the third time I've had it since reading this thread. :sneaky2:

Winnie
04-27-2010, 04:07 AM
Happy to oblige Ken! I found a recipe for vegetable Quesidillas that I'm going to try at the weekend. They sound rather good!

Beans
04-29-2010, 08:14 PM
I large pot of water (5 to 6 gallon size)
4 large rocks, (about the size of baseballs)
1 small Goat (20-35 Lbs)
3 cups of Habanero Peppers
prepare the goat, by dicing into 2 inch pieces

bring water in the large pot to a boil
when boiling insert the pieces of goat, the rocks and Habanero Peppers
reduce heat until it is simmering.

Simmer for 6-8 hours.

drain off the water making sure you don't allow the Habanero Peppers to drain away with the water.

Place the goat meat and the Habanero Peppers on large tortillas. It should make 8-10 servings.

Place the tortillas aound your camp at night to keep the coyotes away.

The rocks-- they are to defend yourself after the coyotes eat your offering and decide to seek revenge