PDA

View Full Version : Question - Humane Trapping Methods

Ken
04-20-2010, 06:31 PM
I just read Beo's sticky http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3974 on trapping, and I have a bunch of questions.

First of all, I wanna' make it absolutely clear that I'm not being critical of any trapping methods you guys employ. Some of you trap for furs, and that's fine by me, too.

However, I'm looking for ways to trap small animals that won't cause them any injury. Quite honestly :blushing: I'd like to transport some (all) of my squirrels to my other place, where I figure they'll stick around so long as there's a steady supply of nuts (the edible kind :sneaky2:) waiting for them everyday.

I'm also concerned about the rabbits (loads of them there) raiding my garden regardless of what kind of fence I surround it with.

I'll admit it - unless I need to eat one of the little critters, I kinda' view 'em as pets and don't want to injure them in any way. And yeah, I've shot and eaten squirrels and rabbits before. :sneaky2:

So, I'm looking for suggestions, particularly for squirrels and rabbits. Beo, Kevin, PGV, Crash, FVR, Trax, or anyone else here ............. any of you guys have any suggestions or advice?

red lake
04-20-2010, 06:55 PM
http://www.buycages.com/trap.php

Very first listing on google when I googled Live Traps.

Live trapping is used quite a bit by pest control people I believe.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
04-20-2010, 06:58 PM
I have trapped squirrels in live traps using deer corn for bait. I had a pecan tree and was competing for the nuts! I used to set them free at the hunting grounds.

Ken
04-20-2010, 07:01 PM
http://www.buycages.com/trap.php

Very first listing on google when I googled Live Traps.

Live trapping is used quite a bit by pest control people I believe.

Thanks, red lake! :) I've searched around a bit, but I was wondering if any of the trappers here had found one (or any) they prefer. Rather than just go with something that looks good on the net (as I've done to my dismay in the past) I'd rather rely on the advice of the guys here.

The pest control use was why I included Crash in my inquiry.

2dumb2kwit
04-20-2010, 07:01 PM
I don't know anthing about it, but I remembered seeing these, and thinking it was a good price.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=563271

COWBOYSURVIVAL
04-20-2010, 07:04 PM
Ken, the one in 2 dumbs link is what I used.

crashdive123
04-20-2010, 07:04 PM
As others have said - live traps are the way to go.

Rick
04-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Havahart is what I've used. They are pretty inexpensive and last a long time. I'm sure you can find them at any hardware store.

http://www.havahart.com/store/live-animal-traps

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-20-2010, 07:30 PM
sacrifical gardens that border your garden can help there Ken. also gathering from the deep woods and "baiting the squirrels" reduces thier need to strip your favorite trees. box traps and relocation reduces the population and doesnt harm them

FVR
04-20-2010, 08:00 PM
I use to trap squirrels in old bird cages.

Place at the bottom of a tree, use a hairpin to keep up the door. A string is attached to the hairpin, when the squirrel comes in for the bait, he pullis it down, the hairpin raises, the door goes down and you have a squirrel.

Mind you, it's a pissed off squirrel.

You can always use the Havahart or box traps.

trax
04-20-2010, 08:47 PM
If uh...you soak a couple of chocolate chip cookies in beer and leave them laying out in your yard, after a couple of squirrels have sampled them, they'll get into a huge fight over the cookies and the dominant squirrels will chase off the weaker ones, then you'll have less squirrels to capture and they'll be slower because they'll have a hangover. Or, um...you know...so I've heard
Also, anything stronger than beer is probably a bad idea, very low toleranc levels.

Justin Case
04-20-2010, 08:50 PM
Just crush up a sleeping pill and mix it with peanut butter ,, :innocent:

Camp10
04-20-2010, 09:13 PM
If uh...you soak a couple of chocolate chip cookies in beer and leave them laying out in your yard...Also, anything stronger than beer is probably a bad idea, very low toleranc levels.

Really? :innocent:

your_comforting_company
04-20-2010, 11:38 PM
I'll try and snap a few pictures of a live trap my grandad made from chicken-wire. It's an easy enough thing to build yourself if you see a picture.
In fact, it's really similar to AlaskanSurvivalists chicken-wire fish trap if you wanna search the forum for that. Mine's just square.

Stargazer
04-21-2010, 07:56 AM
I would use a havahart.If I can find mine you are more than welcome to use it.

One question. Is it legal to transfer live wild animals from your Mass home to the RI place? I

Ken
04-21-2010, 08:04 AM
I would use a havahart.If I can find mine you are more than welcome to use it.

One question. Is it legal to transfer live wild animals from your Mass home to the RI place? I

I could always drop a line of peanuts from the state line to my backyard, and let the little fellas follow it to their new home. :innocent: It's only a short walk from there.

welderguy
04-21-2010, 08:11 AM
Ken I only see 2 options .

1st. The haveaheart live traps or a brand of live trap of your choice.
or
2 nd fill your SUV with squirell snacks and slam the door when it fills up with critters.

Stargazer
04-21-2010, 08:22 AM
Let me know when you plan on playing the Pied Pipper.There are things you just have to see for your self.This will be one of them.I promise not to take pictures or post anything about it here:innocent:

Seriously, if you need any help in the relocation just let me know.

Ken
04-21-2010, 08:24 AM
Let me know when you plan on playing the Pied Pipper.There are things you just have to see for your self.This will be one of them.I promise not to take pictures or post anything about it here:innocent:

Seriously, if you need any help in the relocation just let me know.

I will. :innocent:

2dumb2kwit
04-21-2010, 09:53 AM
You could make your own traps....like we did when I was a kid.:innocent:

(This is just a picture, from the web.....not one that I built.)

preachtheWORD
04-21-2010, 03:14 PM
You could make your own traps....like we did when I was a kid.:innocent:

I made a bunch of those as a kid. I always wanted to catch rabbits, but I more often ended up catching stinkin' possums. After you caught a possum in the trap, the rabbits wouldn't go near it.

I always baited the trap with apples that were a little past ripe. You rub the apple all over the opening and then put some in the back.

Justin Case
04-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Ok all Joking aside, When I was a Kid i used to catch chipmunks the old fashioned way,, with a stick, a string and a Box ,, just like this ,

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_c9e3i7D7heA/SeeT65pqxuI/AAAAAAAAABQ/lAk-GdjDRfQ/s512/bananaboxtrap.jpg

And It worked VERY well,,,, I used apple chunks as bait,, Heck, I even caught birds in my trap,, when the box dropped over whatever I had trapped , I would slide an old stop sign under to keep them in there, (learned the hard way that you cant just lift up the box and grab them !:sneaky2:)

Now the chipmunks I would put in one of those "Habitrails" hamster house thingy, Similar to this,

http://dlf.cotse.net/bunnies/Habitrail2-a.gif

BUT,, Chipmunks are really REALLY good escape artists,,after trying to mate (realized later they were trying to kill each other :sneaky2:) they would often get loose in the house,, now,, They are also very smart, too smart to fall for the box trap again it would seem,,, But there is one thing they cannot resist,, PEANUT BUTTER ! so the way to catch chipmunks running a muck in the house is to put down some peanut butter and let them eat some,, them while they are sitting there trying to swallow it and trying to remove it with their little hands ,, You simply throw a towel over them and scoop them up ,, THIS REALLY Works ! I see no reason why it wouldn't work for squirrels too .

Rockgod1619
04-22-2010, 12:30 AM
I had a lot of luck one autumn trapping skunks and opossum in a live trap. Baited them in with cat food. I think with squirrels you could bait with peanut butter and maybe corn. For rabbits, any sort of leafy green with a bit of an aromatic edge should work nicely. I agree that the haveaheart traps are the ones to go with. Good luck, Ken!