PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Cold Weather Boots review by Survival Kitty

sjj
04-18-2010, 05:40 AM
to be continued

red lake
04-18-2010, 06:44 AM
I have Mukluks, and use them when the temps are -20C and colder. Mine are not "authentic" but still top quality of you ask me. Mine are from Steger Mukluks in Ely MN

crashdive123
04-18-2010, 07:28 AM
Nice review sjj.

welderguy
04-18-2010, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the review. good info to know.

Rick
04-18-2010, 08:09 AM
Very good write up and worth of some rep!!

These boots are “supposedly” rated for a whopping minus 120 degrees F.

Somewhere there is a guy sitting inside an environmental testing chamber with a really bad job. But!! He has toasty warm feet.

hunter63
04-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the review, definity deserving some rep.
I'm also a fan of Sorrels.
Good to see that Survival Kitty is still alive and well.
What kind of boots does he wear.?

cowgirlup
04-18-2010, 07:03 PM
Survival Kitty is so smart and helpful!!!

Rick
04-18-2010, 07:33 PM
For his next assignment, I'd be interested in hearing how best to use a tale twitch when stalking.

crashdive123
04-18-2010, 07:34 PM
Cold weather foot wear for my area.

http://mirror.altrec.com/images/shop/photos/NKE/18947_m.jpg

BENESSE
04-18-2010, 07:36 PM
I'll listen to anything Survival Kitty has to say.

Rick
04-18-2010, 07:38 PM
Yeah, smart guy. Dress light. You're on the menu.

BENESSE
04-18-2010, 07:42 PM
Yeah, smart guy. Dress light. You're on the menu.

Crash on the menu?!
I am shocked, I tell you, SHOCKED!

Rick
04-18-2010, 07:45 PM
http://www.news-record.com/files/imagecache/nrcom_centerpiece_thumbnail/Images/gator.jpg

crashdive123
04-18-2010, 08:02 PM
Crash on the menu?!
I am shocked, I tell you, SHOCKED!

Oh - Rick just doesn't like to pet the wild life around here.

klkak
04-18-2010, 10:34 PM
Thanks sjj, nice review.

I wear Sorel pacs with knee high gators during the coldest part of the winter.

Alaskan Survivalist
04-19-2010, 03:17 PM
Those are the most common boots and common thinking. I do a lot of things my own way and in the case of Arctic boots combine the features of removable liners, encapsulated insulation, high waterproof tops and draw strings and light weight. Why not have it all?

I work outside and on the job I have a pair of boots an Iditarod musher turned me on to twenty tears ago and have held up well for 2 decades. There are different qualities of rubber that causes some to crack but these have not.
The one thing I don’t like about them is they are heavy but to get the durability I need on the job all my work clothing (Arctic Carharts) is heavy. These boots were made by LaCrosse and I know the company is still in business but not sure this boot is still available.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_0973.jpg

My normal wear boots are something I discovered mining and was scrounging around to put together some warm clothing. I found some old army canvas mukluks that were way to big for me so I put two sets of liners in them to take up the space. Man! They were warm and light and so large I was walking on top of snow almost like I was wearing snow shoes. I learned the hard way they were not water proof and added some garbage bags to encapsulate the outer liner on both sides. It was a perfect solution and I have even found some super tough bags that work perfect. I have since found the largest size army mukluks made and added two felt sole liners too.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_0993.jpg

I also like the army parka and pants for their light weight in dry cold. I still get out and practice old style biathlon.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_0812.jpg

A wool hat, Arctic mittens and over whites complete out fit.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_0813.jpg

I have a third set of Arctic gear stashed that is far superior to anything I have used in 55 years in Alaska. It is a little heavier than army gear and almost as durable as work gear. It is what I am wearing in avatar picture. I use ski bibs, heavy knit virgin wool sweater and Carhart artic vest under Carhart insulated work Gortex rain gear. With this gear I can plop down in the snow anywhere and sleep. No need for shelter, sleeping bags, etc. No discussion of Arctic gear should exclude clothing because the key is keeping core temperature regulated. Keeping warm blood flowing to extremites like feet is most important. The boots I have for this set are large over shoes made for mountaineers that have ice cleats screwed into the tread. Rubber bottoms with Gortex uppers but instead of wearing boots in them I just use Balken liners rated to -145. Think high-tech mukluk. With all things I learn the fundamentals of how things work and combined with a little trial and error manage to come up with some better than commercial marketed products or commonly accepted ways. Too often I see that information is accepted based on the creditability of the person offering it rather than a true understanding of why it is. Big mistake for so many. Learn why things are for yourself and using fundamentals and the creativity that lays dormant inside most to excel. If it becomes survival of the fittest do you want to be limited to commonly held beliefs or take it to a higher level? Annoy everybody, think for yourself!

Rick
04-20-2010, 09:04 AM
When I was working outside, we had to wear a good quality boot for climbing. I generally wore steel toed Wellingtons but that left you with cold feet in the winter and rain is tough on leather. The 4 buckle overshoes were just the ticket to keep feet warm and dry and still be able to climb. I've waded a lot of snow with those on and still stayed warm.

Good post!!

finallyME
04-20-2010, 02:49 PM
Hey AS, great post. And SJJ and survival kitty as well. This last winter I tried to get me a pair of some extreme cold weather boots, but ended up not. When I went to cabelas to buy their equivalent to the sorels that SJJ shows, they didn't have my size. So, I am still looking. My problem is that I want too much in a boot. I want one that is totally waterproof, and really breathable, and really warm, but also not too warm for different situations. If I hike all day in snow shoes, and it isn't below 0F, then I don't want a really warm boot. In my area, sometimes it is just barely below 32F and sometimes it is below 0F and it is hard to judge before time, so best to prepare for both. Anyways, I was thinking of a mukluk that I can put in a rubber boot when it is really wet, and then have my army cold weather boots (leather insulated gortex good to 20F) for walking in the wet and slightly warm.

trax
04-20-2010, 05:02 PM
FM, moosehide mukluks would be perfect for the conditions you're describing, especially the snowshoeing, IMHO.

Alaskan Survivalist
04-20-2010, 11:16 PM
These are the overshoes I talking about. They come in huge sizes that can be hold a lot of liner and they come in a lot of styles.

http://overshoe.com/recreational/

finallyME
04-21-2010, 11:10 AM
yeah, I have been looking at the NEOS. I don't think they breath as much as mukluks, so maybe have mukluks and then put NEOS over them when it is really wet.