PDA

View Full Version : hi im new

carpet_ninja
12-07-2007, 12:33 PM
ive never actually done anything like this before but i have always been interested in wilderness survival. i dont realy know much but i can always learn frome others. i look forward to my first sample of wilderness survival, wether is on a mountain or in my own back garden. i can't realy do anything big yet because im still a bit young, but i can use my brain, can be quite determind and am very interested

tell me if ive made myself look like an idiot :)

Sarge47
12-07-2007, 12:47 PM
welcome to the Wolf Pack. How old are you? No, you don't look like an idiot, only somebody being honest about wanting to learn!:cool:

carpet_ninja
12-07-2007, 12:50 PM
i won't say my age and thank you for not calling me an idoit

well, maybe the other forum i go on is full of idiots? thats probly why.

Rick
12-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Welcome home, Ninja. The quest for knowledge is an admirable quality. There are a lot of things you can practice in your own backyard that will help you prepare for things you may want to do later in life, whether it be primitive survival or just backpacking or camping. We're glad you chose to join us.

carpet_ninja
12-07-2007, 12:55 PM
Welcome home, Ninja. The quest for knowledge is an admirable quality. There are a lot of things you can practice in your own backyard that will help you prepare for things you may want to do later in life, whether it be primitive survival or just backpacking or camping. We're glad you chose to join us.

um by the way, am i supposed to get a wolf as my avatar, im just wondering
because ive been lookin at the forums but not all people have them, so is it just a bit of fun?

Rick
12-07-2007, 01:03 PM
Just a bit of fun. A way to express yourself. Use what you want or don't use one. It's up to you.

Sarge47
12-07-2007, 01:11 PM
i won't say my age and thank you for not calling me an idoit

well, maybe the other forum i go on is full of idiots? thats probly why.

If you won't say your age where abouts in the country do you live. you don't have to be specific. Geographic details would be fine. Here's why I'm asking these questions.

Your age: If your eleven to 16 you might think about joining the Boy
Scouts if you're not already a member. I highly encourage you
to do that as it's a great place to start.( I'm guessing between
12 to 13?)
Location: Geography will tell us what kind of conditions you might come
into contact with and help us better help you. And no one
here is going to put you down for being cautious; actually
caution is a requirement to surviving.:cool:

trax
12-07-2007, 01:16 PM
Welcome aboard, avatar choice is absolutely up to you. About being an idiot, let me say this...I'm damn good at it! but having shared that, you expressed an interest and a willingness and desire to learn and know that you have the capabilities to do so, and that your brain works...there you go...number one survival tool..thinking.

If you expressed the opposite of all those things and said you were wanting to go charging off somewhere and just start living primitive...then I'd think you're an idiot, so my first perception of you is quite the opposite. We all learn here, the newbies and the "old hands" If you really want to learn wilderness survival skills, you've come to the right place. Never be afraid to ask questions and as you try out the new skills ...be sure and share your results with us. My advice to all newbies is start small ( you mentioned a back garden) and practice, practice, practice. Get tired then practice some more, cuz guess what....when you're out there past the ends of the hiways...getting tired is part of it and you still gotta get 'er done. As your skills improve, take on bigger adventures, the satisfaction that it will bring is IMHO, immeasurable.

Rick
12-07-2007, 01:18 PM
Ninja - Even an age range would be beneficial and help us gauge the type of advice we give you. If you're still uncombable with sharing your age, then don't worry about it. The important thing is you are here and we will help you as best we can. Sarge is correct about scouting. Many of us got our start through the scouting program and there are some scouts on the forum. Geography, at least a state, would be very helpful for the same reasons we outlined on age.

carpet_ninja
12-07-2007, 01:30 PM
i live in england in bolton (the only big forest i would be bovered going to on foot is a, well how should we say this.... a gay meeting place <watered down version, won't go there, ever!) i dont want to join scouts because tried it for a few weeks, not my thing.

i still wont state my age, but i will say im quite young so i can't exacly go hunting or anything, well... at the moment im not sure i want to go hunting

Sarge47
12-07-2007, 01:38 PM
i live in england in bolton (the only big forest i would be bovered going to on foot is a, well how should we say this.... a gay meeting place <watered down version, won't go there, ever!) i dont want to join scouts because tried it for a few weeks, not my thing.

i still wont state my age, but i will say im quite young so i can't exacly go hunting or anything, well... at the moment im not sure i want to go hunting

Scouts can be as good or as bad as you allow it to be. However that's for you to decide. I agree, stay out of the woods!:eek: Your backyard will do just fine.
Maybe Tony U.K. will join in since he lives up in Scotland.:cool:

carpet_ninja
12-07-2007, 02:19 PM
you guys got any good ideas for first time projects the do in my back garden?

noting to long to do tho, and nothing that involdes to much knifing.

im thinking of making a fish trap out of stuff i find down my brook and maybe a little man-made fishing line

Rick
12-07-2007, 02:49 PM
1. Identify the plants in your yard.
2. Identify the animal tracks in your yard
3. Identify cloud formations and what they mean
4. Study star constellations and identify the locations at different times of the year
5. Find the North Star (Polaris, Navigatori, Navigator's Star) and learn how to locate it in different seasons.
6. Learn to tell time using the sun
7. Learn how to use your watch to tell directions (north, south, east, west)
8. Identify the species of birds and animals in your yard.

Proud American
12-07-2007, 09:27 PM
Ninja

im thinking of making a fish trap out of stuff i find down my brook and maybe a little man-made fishing line

Also, ive seen the screen name Carpet Ninja do u use that name for everything.

nell67
12-08-2007, 03:44 AM
welcome to the wolf pack.

Jay
12-08-2007, 04:25 AM
Hi Ninja,
I just want to add a couple of things to what the other have said. When if first started dabbling in survival type stuff, I was 7 yrs old. I wasn's allowed to use a knife either.
but I did learn a lot by just sitting under a bush and watching birds, animals, humans & nature in general.
I suggest you start there. If you have access to a good library, check out field guids on mammals,birds, butterflies, insects, trees, etc in your area. Learn as much as you can about nature in general. then when you go and sit under a bush you will recognize things and behaviour pattern in what you see. this is a good way to start. Learn to notice little details. When you see a bird dont just say ...oh thats a robin..etc...ask your self what is it doing, what are its colours, what is its most prominent feature, what colour are its eyes, why does in sit on that tree and not the other one. what type of noise does it make. at what time do you see it most. Do this with each animal and plant,
after a while, when you find the ansewers, you will know some of the basics of how most living things survive. this is going to be the foundation upon which you build the rest of your survival knowledge.

As for being yourng....dont worry about it. you'll grow out of it eventually
best wishes
JK

carpet_ninja
12-08-2007, 06:24 AM
Ninja

Also, ive seen the screen name Carpet Ninja do u use that name for everything.

why where have you seen carpet ninja used before?

jay: thanks for the advice ill try it when i have the time