PDA

View Full Version : EDC assisted opening knife

mcfd45
04-15-2010, 06:48 PM
I am looking for a new knife for work. I am considering an assisted opening knife. I was wondering if you guys had any positive feedback on a knife. My budget is 80 or less. Thanks a bunch.

huntermj
04-15-2010, 06:56 PM
I love the SOG twitch and flick or something like that. ive had both. i prefer the one with the smaller blade. its a nice gentlemens knife and holds an edge well. i can open and close both one handed. currently own the twitch 2 and am very happy with it.

canid
04-15-2010, 09:12 PM
my favorite assisted opening mechanism is the speed safe system by kershaw.

any of their ken onion design are great knives. i've owned two, a leek and a scallion and they are the best folders i've owned in a long time. the blades are great and the mechanism doesn't seem to gunk up easily.

the MSRP is around your budget cap the last i checked, but you can find them cheaper; around $60 if you shop around.

the only problem i have with them is that i have lost two of them, nice small things have a way of growing legs.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
04-15-2010, 09:49 PM
my favorite assisted opening mechanism is the speed safe system by kershaw.

any of their ken onion design are great knives. i've owned two, a leek and a scallion and they are the best folders i've owned in a long time. the blades are great and the mechanism doesn't seem to gunk up easily.

the MSRP is around your budget cap the last i checked, but you can find them cheaper; around $60 if you shop around.

the only problem i have with them is that i have lost two of them, nice small things have a way of growing legs.

Might want to consider the company you keep? Just sayin'.....

your_comforting_company
04-16-2010, 09:25 AM
I also owned 2 Kershaws from the Onion line and had to order a new spring for one of them. I've gone back to the glider blade with thumb knob for quick opening on a Gerber knife. Never had to take it apart to clean gunk out like I did with my kershaw (How does blood and junk get all up in that part anyway?) I've since given them away, and as long as I don't lose my Gerber I don't think I'll be buying another knife anytime soon.
I'm a big Gerber and Schrade fan though, so I'm a little biased. I don't think I paid over $40 for the Kershaws at wally world, and didn't pay over $30 for the Gerber.

tonester
04-16-2010, 04:18 PM
i have a kershaw blur. its a super nice blade, especially for the price.

Rick
04-16-2010, 04:30 PM
What are you going to use it for?

pocomoonskyeyes
04-16-2010, 05:46 PM
If you don't mind using a more manual approach, any of the CRKT's that have the "Flipper" on them will work as well and sometimes better than an assisted opener. The "Trick" is to loosen the screw at the pivot. One little flick and it is open!! The ones like the M-16, or M-21. (I have both for just that very reason).

If you are bound and determined to have an assisted opener, I would have to say the Kershaw as well. I got rid of mine. The least little nudge at the wrong time, and it tried opening in my pocket. I cut myself more than once with an AO Knife, because it opened in my pocket. Needless to say they are no longer on my shopping list. If you do get one, get a belt holster for it as well.

panch0
04-16-2010, 05:51 PM
My buddy has a sog that cost him a little more than 80 bucks. Its a really nice knife gets sharp and holds it well. It is an assisted opener. A couple of weeks back it opened in his pocket and poked him in the leg. He got a small cut,but it could have been worse. I would suggest a onhander like Benchmade or Spyderco. They are excellent knives and can be close with one hand as well. They many really good models in your pricerange. BM551, Spyderco Delica and Endura are a few that you may want to have a look at. Just my.02$

Rick
04-16-2010, 08:32 PM
You guys are really gonna feel bad when you find out he's going to use it to open paint can lids or to cut sheets of sandpaper.

canid
04-17-2010, 02:26 AM
nothing wrong with cutting sandpaper. you just gotta cut it from the right side.

canid
04-17-2010, 02:32 AM
Might want to consider the company you keep? Just sayin'.....

i always consider the company i keep, but we don't all own our home, choose our coworkers, etc.

Alaskan Survivalist
04-17-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm not sure of the vocabulary being used but I have a SOG knife I saw on sale for 30 bucks that I picked up a while back. I have not used it in the field yet but it seems to have some potential. I was impressed with its light weight when I removed it from plastic package. I have reservations about locking pin and I see where I could cut myself switching from saw to blade. It does have a decent feel to it. First impression is it would be good for ultralight packing but not really the tool for serious hunters. It would be functional but lacking the durability I would expect for continious use. But you never really know until you've used it awhile and I have not. I have had other light gear that has been has surprized me for durabilty and it does seem to be approaching that balance between light weight and a functioning, durable tool.

http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg346/akmofo/IMG_0888-1.jpg

Batch
04-18-2010, 12:13 PM
Have you looked at waved blades? They are faster than any other type of pocket knife of which I am aware. If your pants have no pockets it will also work when drawn from the waist band.

Here is a video of a Spyderco knife waved:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pK6lOTz1Ebs&feature=related

Rick
04-18-2010, 07:41 PM
Attention Kevin!!!! Do not look at the preceding video. Repeat...Do NOT look at the preceding video. (He's gonna try it I just know he is)

Batch
04-22-2010, 08:22 PM
As an after thought. There are also various ways to wave a knife you already have. You can cinch a nylon tie wrap on the thumb hole like so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmygbSLArLQ&NR=1

Also if there is a thumb stud on the knife you can use a piece of light gauge wire. Or Dremel a wave out of metal and attach it to the thumb stud.

One thing is if you use go with an auto knife you can't carry concealed in many states. In Florida I can. But, only with a concealed weapons permit.

Federal law has a nice 5 year felony for you if you carry it across state lines or into federal waters or indian reservations... Plus loads more. Gotta love the feds!

15 USC 1241-1245 (http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/15C29.txt)

Ole WV Coot
04-22-2010, 08:50 PM
SOG FLASH II, I carry clipped under my belt buckle. Light, easily reached with either hand. This is my concealed carry. I personally use a SAK more.