PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of Food Pot(s) Do You Carry and How Do You Clean Them?

Rick
12-06-2007, 05:21 PM
I carry an old GI mess kit and a canteen cup. I clean 'em using wood ash alone or with a bit of sand if I can find some. Mix up a paste to scrub with. Rinse and air dry.

And you?

RobertRogers
12-06-2007, 06:15 PM
I just carry a 1-pint stainless steel cup, clean it with water and sand

corndog-44
12-06-2007, 06:21 PM
Dang Rick! At first I thought you started a thread about chamber pots then I noticed you said food pots. :eek: Ashes and sand will clean pots and pans. Wipe them off with your shirt-tail :D.

Rick
12-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Nope. I have a porta potty on wheels I take with me. It has knobby tires for the rough terrain. It's gas mileage isn't worth a sh......I know, I know, my bad.

dilligaf2u2
12-06-2007, 08:37 PM
I have a few stainless steel pads. Like SOS pads without the soap or ever rust. I keep in my cook kit. Sand and ash work well. Letting Ugly lick it till it is clean before putting food on it and hand it to someone, works part of the time.

Cook kits?? I have a GSI double Boiler pot set & I have an army mess kit. Also canteen cup with heater, in the BOB. In the pack I have a MSR stow away set and a Backpack dutch oven and a solar oven.

A Cast Iron Sets for the truck to carry. I have a set of cook pots that will hold enough food to feed 30 or more people, I can get out of the shed. On all, I would say, I have over 50 camping pot of various sizes from 5 gallons down to my canteen cup.

I have more pots and pan sets then should be legal to have.

Don likes to eat.

trax
12-06-2007, 08:53 PM
I've got a 1 qt cook pot, a frying pan and a coffee pot, stainless. I carry a plastic cup, metal ones always burn my lips when I make coffee (boohoo I know) Sand and ash paste for cleaning and rinse them out, they come up sparkly clean every time.

tfisher
12-06-2007, 09:22 PM
I use a small titanium pot w/lid and a kitchen cleaning pad cut in half and antibacterial soap, if it is a planned event.

on just a short hike I have my cup that fits on the bottom of my canteen, and I will use whatever is available, like snake grass, pine needles wrapped in a bundle, sand, elm leaves to name a few.

MCBushbaby
12-06-2007, 10:05 PM
I have a .9L Snowpeak titanium pot that I use to boil water. I do freezer bag cooking so there is no cleanup other than packing out the used ziplocks. However there is a skillet lid which I use to cook wild food (like tubors or meats) so I bring along a scotch bright pad to get the dingies out. Sand usually works but it takes a lot of effort to get burned-in blood/meat out.