PDA

View Full Version : plant comparisons ?

Canadian-guerilla
04-13-2010, 07:58 AM
going to pick up some more cleavers for close-up pics now

will try a Cleavers / Woodruff / Galium Mollugo comparison thread

i also want to try a Wild Carrot / Poison Hemlock comparison thread
i just have to stake out some leafy maybes for now

any other suggestions for PLANT COMPARISONS ?

canid
04-13-2010, 08:42 AM
to take a cue from you, how about thistles?

say bull and milk thistle, or sow thistles [Sonchus sp.] and lettuce [Lactuca sp.].

Canadian-guerilla
04-13-2010, 11:40 AM
i have a few thistles already lined up for observation, but right now
apart from the bull thistle, all the other thistles look similar

i'd also like to do a " yellow flower " comparison ( dandelion, sow thistle, hawkweed, coltsfoot )

and a few berry comparisons ( strawberries, raspberries, vines, etc )

purslane / spurge

plantain / mallow

chives / onions / garlics

rwc1969
04-13-2010, 03:49 PM
I'm a little too new to know what look a likes are out there, but maybe dandelion /chickory rosettes? garlic mustard /violet rosettes. different mustard rosettes?

For me the plants are easier to tell apart when full grown but when in rosette form they can be more tricky.

your_comforting_company
04-13-2010, 06:08 PM
All the brassicaceae family plants are edible and useful in one form or another. learning them is quite a challenge because of all the similarities they share. That would be another good one to add to the nice list you already have. The sorrels and clovers as I pointed out in another thread, and any in the leguminosae families. You might also include trees with similar leaves.. My co-worker today called a sweetgum tree a sugar maple. you get the idea.

wareagle69
04-13-2010, 08:05 PM
rwc- to answer at least one question, the mid vein of the leaves in dandelion are red ,while the mid vein of the chicory is white

rwc1969
04-13-2010, 10:33 PM
Thanks WE, I'm writing that down.