PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever had a favorite place to camp

Two Rivers
12-06-2007, 11:40 AM
I found an overhang 500 ft. above the valley where I used to run a trap line in my younger days that was probably my favorite spot of all. It was half way on a two day line. It was about 10 ft. long 8 ft. deep and 6 ft. high. I used this spot for several years and it became mighty comfortable over the years as I was always improving on it. It was out of the elements warm and snug on those cold winter nights and looked more forward to arriving there than I was arriving home. Never seen any sign of anyone else ever finding it during those times which also made it feel that much more special and the scenery was great. After a couple of years I had it fully enclosed and could stay in total comfort. Very welcoming after a hard day on the trap line. Plenty of materials and a flowing spring that had to have the cleanest water I ever drank or maybe it just seemed so. I would spend the evenings skinning my catch and cooking up something I had caught that day along with some hot rose hip tea. Those were some great times, though now, many years later I do regret the waist of life for monetary gain, I do cherish those memories and that spot.
Anyone else ever found a favorite spot, past or present that they have felt was where they belonged.

trax
12-06-2007, 01:38 PM
That question just hauls me right back to my childhood. There was one place where I'd go every chance I had. It was about a 4 mile hike through pretty heavy bush from home and there was this little tiny waterfall there with rapids at the bottom that emptied into a pool full of huge rocks. Hunting small game and fishing were fantastic and if you walked about 1/4 mile up the shore at the top of the rapids you got away from the current's pull and there was an awesome swimming hole. It's where my oldest brother first started teaching me about outdoors and hunting and I'd go back there every chance I got, set up camp there many many times over the years.

In fact, I haven't been there for years, but I'm sure that the encroachment of people and pollution from the community have probably trashed the place, nevertheless I've left instructions with people to some day scatter my ashes there when it's my turn to check out.

Two Rivers...thanks for asking, I'm just going to be basking in those memories all day now :)