PDA

View Full Version : Lone Survivor

Aurelius95
12-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Over the past few years, I have become interested in military history, particularly WWII. I guess it all started with Band of Brothers. I know there are many ex-military men and women on this site, and I want to let you all know that I am thankful for your service to our country and I respect you very much.

I recently read Lone Survivor, by Marcus Luttrell, about his SEAL team's firefight in Afghanistan in 2005. If you have not read it yet, I recommend you do so. He sets up the story by detailing his experience during the SEAL training. I couldn't believe the mental and physical torment these guys endured to become a SEAL. I'm sure it's similar for Rangers and other Special Forces guys, but Hell Week was something else.

Two of the things I realized was that nobody "failed" Hell Week, but rather, those who could not do it would quit. It didn't appear to be the physical hardhsips or sleep deprivation were the factors they quit, but rather the mental hardship. Getting through Hell week was not taking all 5 or 6 days into account at once, but rather, just trying to finish this next task, whether it was running 4 miles, getting "wet and sandy", paddling non-stop, etc. The second take away I learned was that after all the training and experience was instilled in these guys, they performed like a well oiled machine when under insurmountable odds. They fell back on all their training and kept fighting, putting their buddies' lives and well-being in front of their own. It was an amazing display of honor, duty, and respect.

In 'civilian life', I'd say it's similar in that we can all be overwhelmed by the big picture, but if we just take it one step at a time, we can get through it.

I'd appreciate reading your thoughts on this.

Thanks for reading!
Aurelius

Rick
12-06-2007, 09:21 AM
There is a pretty common analogy to your big picture scenario:

Q. "How do you eat an elephant?"
A. "One bite at a time."

trax
12-06-2007, 12:50 PM
Not meaning to make light of what Aurelius is talking about but the other old adage that applies is:

"Can you tell me how to get to Carnegie Hall?" (Also heard it about Yankee Stadium.

"Practice,... practice"

I'm sure that my military friends on this forum will agree...whatever training they went through, that's what it comes down to...it's why they call them drills isn't it? The discipline is engendered from the individual's realization that they survived whatever hell week they endured as part of that team that they are going to work with...in life and death situations and by being able to gut out situations they never thought they could.

FVR, correct me if I'm wrong but don't the Marines start training their recruits by first tearing down the "old" you (preconceptions) so they can build the new Marine? I believe there are other military forces who have adopted the model. I know that those who study training methodology of all kinds still say they can't improve on the Marines system given what the Marines want to accomplish.

The Jesuits used to have some kind of saying about give us a boy young enough and we can make him into any man you want. Kinda scary really.

Seen the movie 300? The description of how Spartan warriors were raised is true, they were taught nothing but the life of a warrior from infancy. When Euro's first got to North America, the skills and abilities of Indian warriors fascinated and amazed them, same thing...they were taught those skills all their lives and taught to work at top efficiency as an individual and as a member of a unit.

Didn't write all this to toot my own horn, but in pretty much post that I've ever responded to a newbie to the great outdoors 'tis always my advice....go practice. As always, my hat comes off to those willing to serve their country, to make that sacrifice for the greater good. OK, that's enough, I'm making myself all teary-eyed.

FVR
12-06-2007, 06:02 PM
Trax,

Matter of fact that is exactly what they do. The minute you hit PI and step out on the yellow footprints, you are constantly being broke down. Broke down to build a fighting man.

The DI's job is an awsome one, to mold a young man into a fighting machine that does not know failure. That if given a hard task, will give 100% to complete it. That is how wars are won, hero's are made. (young mans thinking)

Hell week is exactly what it is. Recon had something like it, I am sure many grunt units have indoctrinations like it in one form or another. Reminds me when I was in bootcamp during the week of swimming training.

I grew up swimming in the Delaware river in NJ. We spent many days swimming in and across the river, I never had a problem swimming, my way. In bootcamp, I had to swim their way and I could not get the breast stroke down. I lost my gar. mos of combat eng. because I did not score high enough in the swim qual. The last day of the qual. it was me and two other boots. We started out, I was doing fine until we had to do the breast stroke. The two other boots had already quit, and unk'd. I refused to quit, I tried that freak'n breast stroke, almost drowned myself. When I swam the last length of the pool, they kept telling me to just get out, but I said I would not quit.

I still can't do the breast stroke, although I did pass my swim qual. The DI told me that the other two swimmers were smarter, but I was no quitter, so he passed me.

Funny, then I found myself at 1st Recon swimming all over the freak'n place. Never did do the breast stroke.

Now, the breast stroke is a very important stroke as it is one that is considered a survival stroke because it uses less energy and is more productive.

I don't quit, to quit is to be weak, to be weak is to fail.

This is my burden that I live with.

dilligaf2u2
12-06-2007, 09:09 PM
I do know practice makes perfect.

I agree it is all in the training. All in knowing: No matter how hard or how far we go. There is always one more step to be taken. One more hill to cross and one more stream to ford. It is knowing we are able to do more, then when our minds tell us, it is enough.

If the US army offered a survival course, I took it. When I was offered a chance to train with SAS and at Langley, I took it. When offered the chance to train with the Greek and Turkish airborne, I took it. I struggled threw 8 weeks of ROK Marine training. Took on the best of the best, the German army had to offer. It was not for pride that I did these things. It was for the right to say to myself, "I can do this".

Don

Beo
12-10-2007, 09:26 AM
RAMBOZO, jk the military is what you make of it. Like dilligaf2u2 said if a school is offered then you should take. In civilian life if there's a school near you on survival and you want to learn, then there you go. Or read on the subject and practice practice practice. Never quit and never give up.