PDA

View Full Version : Snare are better trap than deadfall

phenigma
04-10-2010, 05:00 AM
Any kind of snares that have been set up perfectly have 31% chance of catching a game (any game small or large)and deadfalls have 24% chance of catching small game (except if you built a large scale of a deadfall then you can catch a large game). What do you think???:smash:

Pal334
04-10-2010, 06:23 AM
Mmm,, never thought of that. Could you share your experiences that enabled you to come to these conclusions?

crashdive123
04-10-2010, 06:49 AM
Hmmmm. I always thought snares were rated around 19%. Where did you get your numbers?

randyt
04-10-2010, 07:40 AM
i'm really not sure if a mathematical equation can be applied to this. several years ago i had some skunks terrorizing my yard. i set up a deadfall from a couple railroad ties, a figure four and a cubby with rotten meat for bait. that week i caught three skunks. go back several years from that point and i used snares that time. i set one snare. with one snare and one week i caught a bobcat, same deal with a coyote and a beaver, just different weeks. actually that's close to crashdives 19 percent. but i've seen wild game tighten up and a few dozen sets produce nothing for days on end and end.

i was thinking that maybe your percentages are applied to the effectiveness of a snare or deadfall. as a animal is about to enter, your percentage is the chance the animal will survive the encounter with the trap. deadfalls are probably more tricky to get just right. either way it's good to have both in the bag of tricks.

phenigma
04-10-2010, 07:50 AM
I came up with these numbers by asking survival experts about snares and deadfalls and how many chances do perfectly setup snares and deadfalls have in catching a game...(This is just my survey and it doesn't mean this is the correct percentage) and yeah 45% is a game escaping and failure the trap.

Canadian-guerilla
04-10-2010, 07:52 AM
statistics and snares/traps ?

you can keep your stats and i'll rely on my snare/trap experiences

trial and error, OVER TIME, you learn what works best for you

Rick
04-10-2010, 08:16 AM
Sorry, but those numbers are relative. There are dozens of factors that have to be taken into consideration. Geographic location, Climate, Animals involved, Experience, Terrain, Materials used, even something as insignificant as human pheromones. Our individual scent as well as the quantity of scent left on the materials and surrounding area would play an important role. While those numbers may work for one, they may not play out across the board.

phenigma
04-10-2010, 08:22 AM
OK, OK, To stop this debate here is my explaination....Different statistics or percentage can be obtained by different kinds of deadfalls and snares, different kinds of environment, different kinds of game and different experiences. OK?

crashdive123
04-10-2010, 08:40 AM
I've rechecked my expert sources and it seems my numbers were off. The sources tell me it is closer to 12%.

gryffynklm
04-10-2010, 08:50 AM
OK, OK, To stop this debate here is my explaination....Different statistics or percentage can be obtained by different kinds of deadfalls and snares, different kinds of environment, different kinds of game and different experiences. OK?

Sooo what are you saying do you agree or disagree with the stats? What is your point in this thread? I would say the stats would change for each individual for the exact reasons or variables posted previously by others.

phenigma
04-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Well that just proved my point that Different statistics or percentage can be obtained by different kinds of deadfalls and snares, different kinds of environment, different kinds of game and different experiences. Thanks everyone if you have any more problem or any comment just post a reply.

LowKey
04-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Rick, I think you just did someone's homework for them. :)
I call this 'mining for information'. Wouldn't be surprised if it showed up on some blog elsewhere. ;)

Born2Late
04-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Sneaky little bugger,isnt he.

trax
04-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Any kind of snares that have been set up perfectly have 31% chance of catching a game (any game small or large)and deadfalls have 24% chance of catching small game (except if you built a large scale of a deadfall then you can catch a large game). What do you think???:smash:

What I think is, I'm not counting on you to do my trapping for me

Coote
04-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Hmmm. If there is one thing I've learned in life, it is that there are no absolute rules.

I'm inclined to agree that snares are generally better than deadfalls when I'm trapping larger animals. Yet I have never snared a rat or a mouse.... but I've successfully caught them in deadfalls.

To be successful with any trap it has to be set in the right place at the right time... and it has to be 'set right'.

You could make a perfect snare set, and a perfect deadfall..... but if these were set in your living room you are likely to have a 0% success rate at catching beaver.

Success comes from understanding the target animals and their environment, from applying common sense, from experience...... and from setting enough traps to increase the likelihood of a catch.

When I've been setting snares for brushtailed possums in a particular area, I'd have certain expectations. For instance, if I set 100 snares I might typically have one 'chew off' or 'break off', 20 'knocks' (disturbed snares with nothing in them), and maybe 5 to 20 possums.

Incidentally, I favour using braided nylon snares with no locking knot, so if I do get a chew-off, the snare is likely to just drop off the animal within a very short time.