PDA

View Full Version : Living in a bus-odd real story.

hunter63
04-09-2010, 08:32 PM
At "The Place" our cabin, across the river and down stream a bit is a guy that lives in an old bus.

Has a donkey, a goat, and did have a dog, but he gave the dog away.
Has a bicycle and a cart for the donkey.
No elect, no water, (other than the river), and I don't know what he uses for facilities?
Been there for a long time, and most people just kinda leave him be.
We all talk about it, but this guy has been doing it for a long time, living in a survival life style.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/DSCF0099.jpg

The bus got flooded out a couple of years ago, washed out a lot of his stuff, water up past the windows.
So he moved across the road, had a shelter built out of a straw pile over a frame, some canvas etc.
Live in the straw shelter for the winter, or now a couple of winters.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/DSCF0098.jpg
Well he's back in the bus now.
So now the story really starts.

My old camper, 1963 16' Shasta has been parked on the bottom of the hill, and we stayed in it for about 13-14 years before we built the cabin.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/DSCF0095.jpg
Doesn't leak, inside still old looking but nice.
I tried to sell it for $400 bucks, and everybody wanted a "restored camper", so everyone kinda turned up their noses at it.

Soooooo.....putting two and two together, and getting 5, I offered the camper to the bus guy, free.
So he says OK, but still wants to tear out the furnace and put in a wood stove.

Anyway, one of my projects was to pump up the tires, flat and weather checked, pull it out in the open, and get it ready to roll.

First wheel broke off three lugs, so had to pull the drum and the elect brake disc and replace the lugs.
Second wheel came off OK.
Bought 2-$10 used tires , got them mounted and was ready to roll.

Yesterday, pulled it up the hill, over to his place, and parked it on a wide spot of road shoulder, leveled it out blocked it up. (oh yeah forgot that the truck stuck for a while in 4 wheel low, but finally came out.)
And down the road I went.
I guess I didn't realize what a problem giving away a Free camper, would be!
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y139/hunter63/DSCF0100.jpg

I guess we will see if the county gives him bad time on where it's parked, and as the land is for sale where he has been living, where it will end up?

Camp10
04-09-2010, 08:39 PM
Very nice of you Hunter! I have found that making friends like that can be a very good thing when you cant be there to watch the place yourself!

Ken
04-09-2010, 08:45 PM
+1, Hunter. Real decent of you, my friend! :clap:

And Camp? How right you are!

hunter63
04-09-2010, 08:52 PM
Thanks!
OK boys, added the pic's.

You know, some time it really pizzes me off hearing guy heming and hawing, so I just give stuff away to a good home.
Then they ask, what did you do with that so and so, and it tickles me to have given it away to some one that wants it!

welderguy
04-09-2010, 10:02 PM
Very nice gesture , You a good man Hunter

crashdive123
04-09-2010, 10:06 PM
Great gesture H63. I'm sure your karma will be shining bright.

Justin Case
04-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Thank you for thinking of that guy :) you have a good Heart :)

rebel
04-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Nice going! I tried to give you some + rep.

Winnie
04-10-2010, 04:48 AM
Ditto what everyone else has said. You're a good man.

Rick
04-10-2010, 08:43 AM
That's sort of cool. You gave something to someone they can use and you got rid of something you didn't want anymore. That's a win-win so this is sure to bite you before it's over. (chuckle). No good deed goes undone kind of a thing.

I know nothing about this guy but it seems he might be a good source of information on living off grid. Might be wacky as a bat but might be a nice guy with a lot of info. Might turn out to be a great neighbor.

gryffynklm
04-10-2010, 09:12 AM
Hunter, thats a nice move. Not surprised, you seem to be the helping sort. It will come back when you need it.

hunter63
04-10-2010, 11:47 AM
That's sort of cool. You gave something to someone they can use and you got rid of something you didn't want anymore. That's a win-win so this is sure to bite you before it's over. (chuckle). No good deed goes undone kind of a thing.
I know nothing about this guy but it seems he might be a good source of information on living off grid. Might be wacky as a bat but might be a nice guy with a lot of info. Might turn out to be a great neighbor.

LOL, that sort of mirrors my view, I mean why would I spend $50 bucks plus, to insure that it could move safely, lots of labor, then deliver and set up?
Then have the 4 wheel drive screw up briefly, making the delivery? (still not sure about that, so will check that out)

Anyway, was sorta odd as he really didn't want the furnace, (needs at least 12v power, and was kinda planning on having his donkey pull it. (it's heeeavy)

Guy has been there for a lot of years, why, don't know?
I am actually kind of envious of his abilities on getting by on "whatever?"

But has been "Surviving", just fine, apparently, as he is still there, alive, and shows no inclination to move on unless he has to (notice the for sale sign in front of his straw stack shelter).

I guess I tend to collect intresting people, and hopefully I can learn something from him.
His taking the trailer, seems he did me a favor rather than the other way around, might be a small price for some insight.

Pict
04-10-2010, 11:16 PM
So I guess your mother in law asking to move into it lit a fire under you.

hunter63
04-11-2010, 11:31 AM
So I guess your mother in law asking to move into it lit a fire under you.

LOL, well not really, she is the one that needs the fire lit.
She has been a good MIL for 45 yrs + That I have known her, and the fact is that she has been having some problems for a last couple of years, so we are "dealing with it".

Kinda too bad, as we have included her and my FIL when he was alive in our camping, hunting,fishing, boating and Rendezvous for a long time.
She even purchased her own "lodge", so she didn't have to sleep by the door in the tepee, as per the custom.

I want to thank every one for their positive comments, Thank You, but my intention was to pass along intresting information.

Anyway, this has been an experiance, and I'm sure that a lot of y'all can relate, as it seems that everyone here would have done the same thing, namely trying to "Help Out".

My intrest in intresting people and life styles led me to this forum, and I thought that y'all would be intrested in some one that is actually "doing it".

oldsoldier
04-11-2010, 12:06 PM
Great job hunter... Good things not only make you feel good it gives others a good feeling as well. Thanks for sharing.

trax
04-11-2010, 02:02 PM
Nicely done, Hunter, truly a kind gesture. I kind of thought the for sale sign was for the straw hut. Figured the fella was getting a bit entrepreneurial.

hunter63
04-11-2010, 07:02 PM
Nicely done, Hunter, truly a kind gesture. I kind of thought the for sale sign was for the straw hut. Figured the fella was getting a bit entrepreneurial.

I had thought that that would have been a good Real Estate ad........
Survival Shelter For Sale.

Few acres of land, and the shelter, need some work?

In truth, that land is for sale, I don't know where he's going when it gets sold, I guess everyone has problems from time to time, so I guess this is his?
Anyway, it is intresting to me that he has been there that long, as seems to "get by just fine".

Could I do it? don't know..........but it has been done.

Justin Case
04-11-2010, 07:07 PM
I notice he built his shelter on higher ground than the bus ;) Did he move the bus before moving back in ? or will it flood again ?

Rick
04-11-2010, 07:15 PM
I'd like to see the ad for that.

3 acres of cleared ground free. That's right, absolutely free. If you purchase my survival shelter for the low, low price of $26,000, I'll throw in 3 acres of prime ground for free.

hunter63
04-11-2010, 07:20 PM
I notice he built his shelter on higher ground than the bus ;) Did he move the bus before moving back in ? or will it flood again ?

No, bus isn't moving any time soon, kinda buried, so still there, and would probaly flood again if the water come up that high again.

We had 2-100 year floods in 9 months, bus got flooded both times, as did the several towns, above and below that spot.
I couldn't get in my bottom field for those two years either, too wet.

This was why we parked the trailer on the shoulder of the road, so it wouldn't flood, and easier to move if the land sells.
Straw shelter is on the other side of the road, higher ground.

Sarge47
04-11-2010, 09:20 PM
I had thought that that would have been a good Real Estate ad........
Survival Shelter For Sale.

Few acres of land, and the shelter, need some work?

In truth, that land is for sale, I don't know where he's going when it gets sold, I guess everyone has problems from time to time, so I guess this is his?
Anyway, it is intresting to me that he has been there that long, as seems to "get by just fine".

Could I do it? don't know..........but it has been done.
Local Real Estate ad: "Low, low price on this great, single level cottage! This one-owner "fixer-upper" has had tender loving care by it's only owner, a quiet, gentle, senior citizen who likes to keep to himself so there has been no wild parties going on! There is even a supply of straw for livestock! Make an offer today while it's still available! No reasonable offer refused! (land not included.) :sneaky2: :innocent:

Justin Case
04-11-2010, 09:26 PM
New Roof ! lol

Sarge47
04-11-2010, 10:29 PM
"organic walls..." :clap:

crashdive123
04-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Just advertise it as off-grid green living.

Justin Case
04-11-2010, 10:36 PM
too many extras to list,,, ;) Must see to appreciate !

Justin Case
04-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Detached Garage,,,,,,,lol

hunter63
04-11-2010, 11:55 PM
Hey, guys, seems that it's a "Genuine Survival Shelter" in every sense of the word, and has been "Lived in", not just "Stayed in" for a couple of nites.
That's got to be worth something, right?

Justin Case
04-12-2010, 12:00 AM
sorry Hunter, You are right,, , That guy is doing well living with nothing,

hunter63
04-12-2010, 12:08 AM
When I saw and read Poco's thread "Gems from the gutter";
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8288
I kinda thought of this situation, and do envy the knowledge gained first hand, by doing it.

Justin Case
04-12-2010, 12:27 AM
When I saw and read Poco's thread "Gems from the gutter";
http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8288
I kinda thought of this situation, and do envy the knowledge gained first hand, by doing it.

I agree, I read that post before, AWESOME post !

hunter63
04-12-2010, 12:36 AM
sorry Hunter, You are right,, , That guy is doing well living with nothing,

JC, nothing to be sorry for, it is a real hoot, I bet, trying to write up an ad for something like this, the possibilities are endless.........

rwc1969
04-12-2010, 11:35 AM
Looks like he's got a great view and by the sounds of it good neighbors too.

trax
04-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Handyman's special? A real fixer-upper?

finallyME
04-12-2010, 12:52 PM
What goes around comes around. I wish you were my neighbor, you seem to be a good one. I say go talk to the guy and see what knowledge he has to offer.

crashdive123
04-12-2010, 05:55 PM
H63 - having talked to him, does he seem pretty well grounded? I wonder if somebody bought that property and wanted to put a second home type place on it - sort of like yours - that they may offer him the chance to stay and keep an eye on things during the "off season".

hunter63
04-12-2010, 06:27 PM
H63 - having talked to him, does he seem pretty well grounded? I wonder if somebody bought that property and wanted to put a second home type place on it - sort of like yours - that they may offer him the chance to stay and keep an eye on things during the "off season".

Good question, he guy seems to be just going about his business, making do, but kinda Out There. Maybe that's not fair, but that was my impression.

I talked to him briefly during the move, seems intelligent to has figured out what he has to do, to get by.

I would think that even though the local people seem to just allow him to do his thing and I'm guessing the local authorities are just going with the flow as well, simply because nobody seem to know what his arrangement's are.

Now that being said, most out of town land/cabin owners tend to be city people, and although they do have an interest in country living, I not sure what their attitudes are. (Big on fences, boundaries, tresspassing, big yard lights, calling the sheriff, and generally complaning about stuff)

Lot of city type views, and from what I heard, for a few, they seem disturbed by his presence.
So I don't know, if a change in the stats quo, might change the conditions that allows he to stay there.

Would I consider allowing him to use my land?,........Yeah, I just might, but might just run into neighbor problems myself for allowing it.
If I had a small acreage down the road a bit, I would be more comfortable with that kind if situation.

Sorta like, you would help out a homeless guy, but wouldn't want him moving in with you? If that make any sense.

We will see what happens, as there are couple of others that seem to be aware of and support this guy.
To be continued......................

Badawg
04-13-2010, 02:16 PM
FYI, My brother just sold a '60 Shasta with wings intact on evilbay for $2150.00. He got it for the price of hauling it off.

hunter63
04-13-2010, 02:29 PM
BD, I know it seems like I am in never the right place or the right time, I had this one listed for a while, joined the Shasta Yahoo group, got a lot of "cool, any pic's"?

So I would post the pic's and then they would ask if it was restored?, and I would say no, if it was restored, it would be $2000 bucks instead of $400 bucks.
Or they would ask if I could deliver it to say, Texas?..........Don't think so,
Sooooooo.
I just gave it away.

Badawg
04-13-2010, 09:45 PM
And I have no problem with that and you did a mighty fine thing.

My brother has the added advantage of being in California, with it's large population.

Pretty country you live in there though.