PDA

View Full Version : today i am a grandfather

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-09-2010, 02:49 PM
my daughter had a son today so now i am a grandfather. It raises a question of how can i ensure their prosperity and survival in todays society? how have all of you planned for your descendants? a few suggestions would be helpful.

Ken
04-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Congratulations, Gramps! :clap:

Jayden Tor
04-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Congratulations on becoming a grandfather!

I'm still being taught (lectured?) on how to do by my father and his mother and I'm sure, if my other grandfathers and grandmothers were still living, I'd be getting it from them. But one thing my father does say is that he doesn't have to worry about me because he taught me what I need to know to survive. If I don't know, I pick up the phone, call and ask. And thus starts a new lecture.. er lesson.

I think the best way to ensure what you value is passed on is to instill the thoughts, teach the ways and to be there to show.

Old GI
04-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Attaboy, Grandpa. You as an example is a major way. My two Grandpas did a wonderful thing. One a farmer and the other a lifelong hunter/fisherman. Most "vacations" were split between Grandpas.:clap:

finallyME
04-09-2010, 03:21 PM
If you set them up right, then they become your retirement plan. ;) Just spend as much time with them and teach them what you know. And...

CONGRATULATIONS! :airhorn: :clap: :taz: :punk: :w00t: :banana:

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-09-2010, 03:32 PM
i hope that my grandson has an enterest in nature and survival. the big city has lessons to teach ,but surviving the big city starts somewhere else.

crashdive123
04-09-2010, 03:37 PM
Congratulations gramps.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-09-2010, 03:45 PM
well , smart as the kids are, i fell like they are my elder people. go figure. (until they need , then its "dad you brought me into this world").

Pal334
04-09-2010, 04:16 PM
Congratulations!!!! I share your joy, I have two and they are the light of my life. Due to distance, I can't spend alot of time with them, but every available moment is spent hugging and talking . I had the opportunity during a 6 month deployment to bank all of my pay and split it in two for the grandkids, investing it towards their college, should be just about enough. Relieves their parents of a burden and leaves a bit of legacy of my love. So talk to them and hug them, can't go wrong

hunter63
04-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Congrats as well!
After a bunch of years of believing that it wasn't gonna happen for me, DD and SIL adopted a little boy, he's 7 months old now..........great feeling!

Batch
04-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Congratulations grandpa!

I was just on the floor playing with my granddaughter. She is just now crawling.

Camp10
04-09-2010, 06:55 PM
I learned so many lessons from my grandfathers. They were both very patient teachers. Enjoy the time with him and he will be very eager to learn anything you will teach. Congrats to you and your daughter!

Rick
04-09-2010, 07:12 PM
Congrats. I have four and a fifth on the way. Being a great example, first and foremost, I think. Being a good listener. As Pal said, boundless love. And don't be afraid to give out the guidance. They are your kids, too. Just once removed. :innocent:

rebel
04-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Congratulations.

Swamprat1958
04-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Congratulations. Patience and understanding are the greatest gifts you can give your kids or grandkids. I am really having to work on my patience with my 14 y.o. daughter, my 11 y.o. son likes to do almost everything I do and we haven't had any issues yet. At 51 years of age I just hope to live long enough to enjoy my grandkids (I am not in a hurry to be a grandpa).

nell67
04-09-2010, 09:38 PM
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!! I can tell you from my experience,having grandkids is soooooo much more enjoyable than having the kids,and it has NOTHING to do with that "being able to send them home when you are done with them " thing either!

pocomoonskyeyes
04-10-2010, 12:53 AM
Welcome to the club!!!

Winnie
04-10-2010, 04:42 AM
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!
I don't have any nuggets of widom to pass on, I'm sure you'll figure out how to be the best Grandpa in the world on your own, just like most other Grandpas have before you. Grandpas are the best!

welderguy
04-10-2010, 08:40 AM
Congratulations Granddad.

gryffynklm
04-10-2010, 08:53 AM
Congrats Grandpa!! I'm still trying to figure the answer to that question for my self.

erunkiswldrnssurvival
04-10-2010, 08:56 AM
thanks everybody. i certainly enjoyed raising my daughters, so i call dibs on my grandson... i will put away the barbies and get some "Boy toys"

your_comforting_company
04-10-2010, 09:11 AM
I bring skillsets and self-reliant ideas to my kids. Teach them all you can, even if they aren't interested, you'll hit on something soon that will. I can't tell you a darn thing about prosperity in modern society but self-reliance is an idea that will ensure a desire to learn and carry on.

The Gerber grow up plan (life insurance) is a great start for college tuition, etc and it's really cheap. I definately recommend getting that for the grandbaby now.

your_comforting_company
04-10-2010, 09:12 AM
Oh, yeah.. CONGRATULATIONS!
almost forgot that part :D