PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness Boats

corndog-44
12-05-2007, 09:00 AM
It's a well-known truth: Wilderness boat owners love their boats! What kind of boat do you have and how has it played a part in your life?

RobertRogers
12-05-2007, 12:39 PM
For me its a kayak. Can go in water only several inches deep so it is excellent for exploring even the shallowest of waters. Very easy to paddle too.

Beo
12-05-2007, 01:13 PM
I tend to agree with Robert Rogers, but I like the canoe. I have done treks on all kinds of waterways and lakes and been in only a few inches of water, and is great for rapids and hauling my kit. On shore I have turned it on its side and used it for a field expiedent shelter.

Smok
12-06-2007, 03:34 AM
I've had a canoe from the age of 12 , now I'm looking to get a small sale boat something like the Nordic maybe or a little bigger

trax
12-06-2007, 12:37 PM
15 1/2 foot canoe, carries all I need. I can paddle in mere inches of water and if need be I can pack out an entire moose in it (requires Creative Canoe Packing 101 as a prerequisite, please refer to Trax's "what the h*** are you doing in that canoe? course, LOL) I can pack it on my back without help on portages and there's enough room for company too, OR...if I'm out with company and the lake is really really isolated...there's room for other activities (not covered in the course, sorry)

I'd like to try saltwater kayaking out on the west coast, maybe up around the Queen Charlotte Islands, I have some relatives out that way I could go camp out with.

nell67
12-06-2007, 04:21 PM
15 1/2 foot canoe, carries all I need. I can paddle in mere inches of water and if need be I can pack out an entire moose in it (requires Creative Canoe Packing 101 as a prerequisite, please refer to Trax's "what the h*** are you doing in that canoe? course, LOL) I can pack it on my back without help on portages and there's enough room for company too, OR...if I'm out with company and the lake is really really isolated...there's room for other activities (not covered in the course, sorry)

I'd like to try saltwater kayaking out on the west coast, maybe up around the Queen Charlotte Islands, I have some relatives out that way I could go camp out with.

What kind of activities wouldn't be covered in the course trax??:p

Rick
12-06-2007, 04:55 PM
Worse, what activities would be uncovered?

trax
12-06-2007, 05:03 PM
What kind of activities wouldn't be covered in the course trax??:p

You'll have to contact me privately

Rick
12-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Come with me to the Casbah, my little one....

http://www.nippon.fr/imgs/French%20lessons/pepe%20le%20pew/3b0dfa9d0825d83d.gif

corndog-44
12-06-2007, 06:03 PM
OK guys and gals...don't rock the boat...rocky, rocky and they all tipped over :eek::D.

nell67
12-06-2007, 06:27 PM
You'll have to contact me privately

Ok contacting you now:D

Rick
12-06-2007, 06:46 PM
For shame, for shame, for shame. You ought not talk that way. That ain't right, ma'am.

http://brandingadvice.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/gomer11.jpg

nell67
12-06-2007, 06:47 PM
For shame, for shame, for shame. You ought not talk that way. That ain't right, ma'am.

http://brandingadvice.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/gomer11.jpg

awe now,I wasnt the one talking about lil' thingys in the other thread!! LOL!

trax
12-06-2007, 06:52 PM
He thinks we're being salacious again, don't worry Rick...we're just discussing flotation devices in private LOL.

nell67
12-06-2007, 06:55 PM
He thinks we're being salacious again, don't worry Rick...we're just discussing flotation devices in private LOL.
Yep thats what we're talking about for sure!

Rick
12-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Moving along to another thread......

trax
12-06-2007, 07:04 PM
Moving along to another thread......

Probably for the best....yep...discretion is the better part of valor...

corndog-44
12-06-2007, 07:15 PM

Like a pontoon boat, maybe? ;)

trax
12-06-2007, 07:22 PM
Like a pontoon boat, maybe? ;)

Uh no, not really....:rolleyes:

dilligaf2u2
12-06-2007, 08:46 PM
Would my inertube count? I have used it to ford rivers and lakes. I have also tied empty milk jugs to my pack and used that method to get my gear moved across water.

I swim like a rock. So I try hard to avoid water, deeper them my knees.

Don

trax
12-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Dude, we're a survival forum, I'd say if it gets you across the water...it counts.

corndog-44
12-06-2007, 09:06 PM
Mention wilderness boats and people thinks...canoes and kayaks. Throughout history many other kinds of boats were used in the wilderness. Thought I'd just throw that in.

For many years I've used jon boats which are also known for shallow water capabilities. Used them for both float fishing and hunting and then firing-up the motor for the trip back upriver...saves a lot of upriver paddling. They are good for trapping, also.

A buddy of mine canoed the Wabash River from it's source in Ohio to the Ohio River then down to the Mississippi River. They got as far as Memphis, Tenn. where the waves from the big river barges drove them off the river. They had plans to reach the Gulf of Mexico.

I knew an old river rat who lived on the Wabash River during mussel seaon. His home on the river was made like a pontoon boat. The pontoons were old 55-gal. oil drums. On the wood deck he built a small hut where he lived. His cook stove was a 55-ga. oil drum cut in half with a grill on top. So, if I saw a fire on the river at night...I knew that was him :).

Smok
12-09-2007, 12:42 AM
Just got an old 17' square stern Colman canoe for $100. today it has one little crack in it anyone ever repair one ?? I am going to the colman site and see what they say.

Rick
12-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Just what you asked for, Smok. Here's some advice for that Coleman. Another way to use Duct Tape. You gotta love it!!!

http://oregonkayaking.net/how_to/boat_repair.html

Another:

http://www.wmi.org/bassfish/bassboard/other_topics/t17810.htm

I think I'd consider the first or last one.:rolleyes:

And Another:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/archive/index.php/t-4253.html

A lot of suggestions for a plastic welder. Who knew you could weld plastic?

Smok
12-09-2007, 11:38 PM
Thanks Rick looks like that Duck tape one could be good for others thinks too but I found this one Pelican canoe repair it is a welder type with a stainless net that you put on and then weld over. But thanks for taking the time to help me

trax
12-10-2007, 04:09 PM
Smok's looking at a permanent repair for the canoe he bought and btw, Smok...good deal on the canoe. I just thought I'd add this little bit since the thread is about boats.

"Primitive" Boat Repair, 101

1. Boat/canoe is leaking....get to shore.

2. Lift boat/canoe to determine area of leak.

3. Flip boat/canoe over and dry area as thoroughly as possible.

4. Build a fire (to signal for help? no no no...stay with me)

5. Use your knife or hatchet and careve a lovely spatula.

6. Scrape all the pine or spruce gum you can gather into a metal container (that's why you saved that coffee can!) and start melting it at the fire.

7. Go peel birch bark (second layer) cut into sheets, first layer of birch bark is a waste of time.

8. Spread the liquified gum over the area as evenly as possible, press on birch bark, repeat,and repeat. IF you did a good job peeling the bark (thick sheets) 3 or 4 layers will be plenty.

9. Lift up the boat and block (you don't want to flip it over yet) so you can work on the inside and put a couple of layers on the inside

10. Go back to your fire and pitch your tarp and make yourself a nice pot of tea, let the tar all dry thoroughly before re-launching.

11. Re-launch and congratulate yourself on a job well done. This is a good long term patch if done carefully. You can finish your trip or return home and this patch won't leak. That liquified spruce or pine gum will stick to aluminum, plastic, fiberglass or wood. If you have a very smooth surface, roughing it up a bit will help the tar stick, but you probably won't have to and you're probably not carrying any sandpaper or steel wool anyway.

12. As you paddle off into the sunset, think of Trax and his wonderful advice LOL.

Smok
12-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Thank you Trax . I am not Worthy , I am not worthy , I am not I worthy:D:D but all kidding a side that is a good fix thanks

trax
12-11-2007, 12:04 PM
That's a temporary fix I offered there partner, go with the plastic weld doo-hickey, thingamabob repair kit whatchamacallit....

Rick
12-11-2007, 12:37 PM
By the by, the duct tape thing was permanent. Melts the tape into the crack.

toasta
12-11-2007, 02:58 PM
it also depends on material is it metal or polymuric mixed with kevlar or wood

the type really does matter what is the hull material?

my type is kayak always has probly always will

Rick
12-11-2007, 03:13 PM
I thought polymuric was an eating disorder. Where's that "What I Learned Today" thread?