PDA

View Full Version : Who likes squash?

rebel
04-07-2010, 01:05 AM

your_comforting_company
04-07-2010, 06:52 AM
I DO I DO!!
fried, sauteed in butter, boiled and mixed with tomatoes, garnished over roast venison, mixed with onions and okra..
It's too early in the morning for you to excite my appetite like that!
I love the crook-neck squashes just before they start getting lumpy skin the best.

sthrnstrong
04-07-2010, 07:14 AM
I agree with everything YCC said. Fried is best IMO/ with okra!

crashdive123
04-07-2010, 07:45 AM
Yep.......

Ken
04-07-2010, 07:47 AM
Gotta' be a million ways to prepare various types of squash. I've never disliked any I've tried so far.

Winnie
04-07-2010, 09:38 AM
Me either! I made some Butternut Squash soup for supper last night, just finished it off for lunch.

nell67
04-07-2010, 10:59 AM
I love squash!

Old GI
04-07-2010, 11:05 AM
After a long life of disliking squash, my bride tricked me into eating some - uuuummmmmm, yummy; the way she cooks it.:clap:(Oh yeah, it's gonna be a good night!):winkiss:

pocomoonskyeyes
04-07-2010, 11:53 AM
ME TOO!!! Momma used to serve "stewed squash" squash that had been sliced or otherwise cut up with onions and lots of Bacon grease. Simmered for some time it was great!! Especially if you don't use too much water!!

rebel
04-07-2010, 01:07 PM
I had my first spaghetti squash. I baked it and then fixed it like a sweet potato. It was GREAT! I've got to grow me some this year.

Swamprat1958
04-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Gotta' be a million ways to prepare various types of squash. I've never disliked any I've tried so far.

I agree wholeheartedly with Ken!

Badawg
04-07-2010, 06:02 PM
I put summer squash like sunburst or yellow in my Chilli. Along with corn of course to keep the 3 sisters together.

huntermj
04-07-2010, 06:22 PM
I like roasted with lotsa butter and salt.
MMMMMM butter

Icemancometh
04-07-2010, 08:23 PM
Had 4 small yellows ones with part of an elk loin. Think I liked the squash better than the elk.

welderguy
04-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Yes , yes I do , and zuccini too. fried is my favorite

rwc1969
04-07-2010, 10:52 PM
I love winter squash like butternut, acorn and spaghetti, and summer squash is ok. Once made an "apple" pie with zucchinni and it was real good. No one knew it was squash until I told em and then they were all grossed out.

I think it's cool how winter squash lasts so long.

Rick
04-08-2010, 04:39 AM
I hate the stuff! Have you ever tried to peel or cut up a winter squash? That stuff is hard as nails. It's no wonder it lasts so long. Rot doesn't have the right tools to attack it.

I actually love eating it but I do hate preparing it. Squash soup is about the best soup going and a half of squash baked with some butter and cinnamon ... mmmmmmmm.

pete lynch
04-08-2010, 04:59 AM
You can grill me up a mess of zucchinni any time. :)

TomChemEngineer
04-08-2010, 06:53 PM
I was late to come to the church of the holy squash. I was maybe 45 before I tried it, and now I like it many ways and many varieties. Now I grow it too, since it is very easy to grow and is a heavy producer... from zucchini to crook-neck, they are fun and easy and can be fixed a gazillion ways including my favorire...marinaded and grilled! Wife likes them boiled and then buttered/salted/peppered. Never tried canning them...yet... but I figure if all else fails, I can grow squash. I can supply the whole neighborhood with zucchini from $1.00 worth of seeds.

rebel
04-08-2010, 10:14 PM
I think it's a spaghetti. I'm not sure. :cool2:

Ken
04-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Slice up some summer squash, zuchini, and onions. Sprinkle on some garlic powder and a bit of salt and pepper to taste. Fry it up in a pan with some butter. Just before it's done, toss a pile of shredded mozarella cheese on top.

Pure Heaven. :)

rebel
04-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Slice up some summer squash, zuchini, and onions. Sprinkle on some garlic powder and a bit of salt and pepper to taste. Fry it up in a pan with some butter. Just before it's done, toss a pile of shredded mozarella cheese on top.

Pure Heaven. :)

Bobbit kabob?

Ken
04-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Bobbit kabob?

As in Lorena? :blushing:

Beans
04-29-2010, 08:21 PM
You can grill me up a mess of zucchinni any time. :)

I like battered and deep fired zucchinni.

My favoriate squash is the acorn.

Cut in half, baked with the middle filled with butter and molasses.

My grandmother, who raised me fixed this about once a week and now my wife fixes it about once ever 2-3 months. She is concerned about my health and limits the butter and molasses

Rick
04-29-2010, 08:26 PM
I've never done that with molasses. I'll have to try that. I really like molasses. I have done it with butter and cinnamon.

COWBOYSURVIVAL
04-29-2010, 08:43 PM
Love Squash and made sure it is planted! Just coming in from working our garden!

canid
04-29-2010, 11:52 PM
Who likes squash?

who doesn't?

i've never met a squash i didn't like.

Rick
04-29-2010, 11:57 PM
Has anyone ever figured out the cure for vine borers on zucchini without using chemicals? I've tried planting one sacrificial plant earlier than the rest but, in the end, the borers wind up getting them all.

Chris
04-30-2010, 08:40 PM
The mamma bugs are fairly big, I think a fine netting during the key period might keep them off.

Also, you can try just chemicalfying the base of the stems, where they tend to target.

As for squash, I like spaghetti and butternut. Butternut roasted or butternut soup (http://www.thefoodicook.com/butternut-squash-soup/).

Spaghetti squash is almost tasteless so can be used just for texture. I make a baked spaghetti casserole that uses it, healthier than real pasta.

Zucchini I get tons of, and eat tons of. I make zucchini cakes with some old bay, taste like crab cakes, toss them in the deep fryer. Zucchini breads, zucchini fritters, zucchini dinner rolls. I have so much zucchini I must invent ways to eat it, I'll make 6 or 8 loaves of bread, freeze most of it, make dozens of rolls, freeze them for individual baking later.

I also like taking the male blossoms, injecting some cheesy polenta, dipping in a batter, and deep frying.

My favorite thing about squash, winter anyways, is storage. You don't need anything to store it for long periods, just a shelf, indoors, somewhere.

canid
05-01-2010, 12:19 AM
Rick: applying diatomaceous earth over the soil surface all around the plant might help a lot.

Chris
05-03-2010, 08:51 PM

I make a version of that, but I carmelize the onions in basalmic vinegar, then add the zukes.