PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel Caches

corndog-44
12-04-2007, 08:56 AM
Now that winter weather is here--if not winter proper (usually Dec.21) I have heard authoritatively that fox squirrels bury their winter supplies in the earth and that gray squirrels cache in tree hollows.

I didn’t want to make an issue of such statements, but I did not agree.

I have always seen both gray and fox squirrels bury food supplies in the earth (one parcel of food at each place) and red squirrels cache in hollow trees and other secluded places.

Still, the idea was so interesting--from such an authority--that I was moved to ask around on this forum about this natural phenomenon.

Stealth
12-04-2007, 09:38 AM
i dont know about fox squirrels, but gray squirrels definitely hide their food underground. if you look at your front yard in the fall there are usually some hole from gray squirrels

Rick
12-04-2007, 09:42 AM
Corndog, I'm no authority on squirrels but I will share my observations and some information that I have read up on. All squirrels, grey, red, fox and white (there really are white, not albino, squirrels) bury their nuts. They have a great sense of smell so they usually lick or rub the nut or seed on their fur to scent it so they can find it later on. I've read reports they can smell nuts that have been buried down to three or four inches. They are also opportunists meaning they don't mind eating a nut another squirrel has stored or one they just happen upon. I'm not aware of squirrels hiding food stores in trees. At least they don't seem to do it around here. Many of my friends will argue they do but the isolated nut or two found in trees have usually been placed there by nuthatches.

Chris
12-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Both the little bastards, and red squirrels, and chipmunks, put it all over my lawn and garden.

Stealth
12-05-2007, 12:02 AM
awww, they are so cute though!

Rick
12-05-2007, 07:39 AM
I don't have problems with chipmunks as long as they dig their little holes "way out there" but I sure don't want them undermining my driveway or up around the house. Great way to bust up concrete. Carted 14 of the little beggars off this year. My hawks do love them so...

nell67
12-05-2007, 07:42 AM
awww, they are so cute though!

yea well they look even better roasting over a fire.:p

Rick
12-05-2007, 08:02 AM
Bar-B-Que!

http://mmm-yoso.typepad.com/mmmyoso/images/giangnan03.jpg

nell67
12-05-2007, 08:03 AM
Yummy!!!!:d

Stealth
12-05-2007, 10:23 AM
Bar-B-Que!

that squirrel looks like a chicken!

Rick
12-05-2007, 10:42 AM
Just tastes like it. Doesn't everything?

Beo
12-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Squirrel taste like squirrel, rabbit taste like rabbit, snake taste like snake, and chicken taste like chicken. Now they may have a simular taste but not the same taste.

Stealth
12-05-2007, 01:42 PM
and human tastes like human?

Rick
12-05-2007, 01:53 PM
Sure they do. Ask anyone, "What's that taste like?" They always say, "Chicken.":D I ain't goin' anywhere near that human remark.

trax
12-05-2007, 02:01 PM
Squirrel behaviour...well I know they'll steal each other's stashes because I've seen them do it, the red ones anyway. And they can be nasty little buggers.

Most of the squirrels where I come from don't really get big enough to make a meal when there's plenty of bigger critters around so ..I've never tasted one.

I've always wondered about that one statement and I thought Beo dealt with it quite well. Whenever someone doesn't know what something is going to taste like..sure as **** someone's going to say...."It tastes like chicken"

How very fortunate for the person who's never tasted chicken! Because if they ask what it tastes like, someone can tell them..."Rabbit, rat, snake, squirrel, frog, alligator, etc etc etc"

By the way, I've tasted all kinds of wild "chickens" grouse, ptarmigan, quail. I never thought they tasted like chicken....hmmm..

Rick
12-05-2007, 02:16 PM
You should try squirrel. I'm a bit partial to it fried. It is a favorite.

nell67
12-05-2007, 02:16 PM
You should try squirrel. I'm a bit partial to it fried. It is a favorite.

fried and smothered in gravy is awesome!

Rick
12-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Ooh. Nell, I'll be right over. Keep it warm.