PDA

View Full Version : long term storage for wild edibles ?

Canadian-guerilla
04-01-2010, 03:01 PM
the first time i tried this i just threw a big clump of Garlic Mustard leaves into the freezer, not good
so now i'm trying GM ice balls
here i boiled some GM leaves/roots and put them in the freezer
i'm waiting till i get some big GM leaves to practice drying with

freezing stuff is easy, drying will come in handy if the power goes out

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/mj247/GMR.jpg

your_comforting_company
04-02-2010, 07:56 AM
When we harvest greens from the garden, we stuff them in a bag, press out most of the air, and freeze them. My mom and grandma said they need to be boiled down first, but we've had no problems at all storing them fresh (washed, of course) right into the freezer. That way, they are still good for salads. Not exactly wild edibles, but maybe that helps.
What exactly was the problem with storing them fresh? No bag and they got freezer-burned?

Ken
04-02-2010, 11:24 AM
C-g, check this out.

Preserving Produce without Heat: http://www.theoildrum.com/node/4858

wareagle69
04-04-2010, 07:50 PM
spend most of my time just learning the bloody things haven't gotten around to much storage yet, although the lady i learn from dries them or freezes them, will be doing the same myself this year.

Rick
04-04-2010, 08:13 PM
I would think wild edibles would/could/should/ be handled the same way common edibles are. Since they have an abundance of water within the cell membranes freezing them is probably going to rupture the cells and you'll wind up with a limp piece of yuck when it thaws. Heavy leafed greens might fare better. I would think dehydrating would be the best choice.

Tuber plants will probably be best stored like potatoes.

Fruits and berries, of course, can be frozen or made into jellies/jams.

I've not preserved wild edibles. I'm only offering my opinion and what I base some of it on.

rwc1969
04-05-2010, 11:15 PM
I think canning might be a good option for many of the wild edibles.

Maybe a very brief blanch and freeze would work better.