PDA

View Full Version : Coffee & Onions

Ken
04-01-2010, 09:35 AM
The rain pretty much ended here early yesterday afternoon. The pump slowed down early this morning, and I got a great night's sleep.

Got up at 6:45 and turned on the coffee maker. Poured myself a V-8, let the dogs out, fed the cats, filled up the dog bowls, checked the basement (DRY!), poured a cup of coffee, and let the dogs back in.

Looked out in the back yard. No more puddles, but what do I see? Wild Onions growing all over the place! :) Two acres of lawn with patches of wild onions everywhere you look. This is our first April at the new house, and it's gonna' be interesting to see what else pops up out of the ground.

So there I am at 7:00 in the morning, walking through the yard, sipping coffee, and munching on wild onions. Breakfast. As always, my honey thought I was a couple of bubbles shy of level. :innocent:

We have 3½ acres loaded with assorted wild edibles. I'll be out in the yard chowing down 'till October. :tongue_smilie:

Justin Case
04-01-2010, 09:57 AM
sooooo, You were eating these onions "after" the dogs went out to pee ?:innocent:

Sourdough
04-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Ken's, new forum name, "Ken'eagle"...........:innocent:

Justin Case
04-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Yeah,, LOL, he was probably out there in a loin cloth :eek:

Ken
04-01-2010, 10:03 AM
sooooo, You were eating these onions "after" the dogs went out to pee ?:innocent:

They always pee in one spot. I send those onions to Sarge. :innocent:

Ken's, new forum name, "Ken'eagle"

Pass the purslane, please.......... :)

Justin Case
04-01-2010, 10:07 AM
Sarge; "ooooh Spicy" LOL

Rick
04-01-2010, 02:25 PM
I tilled up the garden today and it's ready to plant. We still have some cool nights ahead of us and we still have Blackberry Winter to get through. But it's getting close!!!!!

Ken
04-01-2010, 02:31 PM
We still have some cool nights ahead of us and we still have Blackberry Winter to get through.

You learn something every day....... :innocent:

"Oldtimers also knew that blackberries (Rubus fruticosus) (http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1982/) need a cold snap to set buds on the blackberry canes, so as sure as night follows day, there will be a cold snap when the blackberries bloom, called Blackberry Winter. It comes with a somewhat less severe return of a continental polar air mass after the maritime tropical air masses have begun to dominate the weather.[1] In some areas, a late cold snap occurs with the blooming of the locust trees (Robinia pseudoacacia (http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/75342/)) usually before the dogwoods bloom or the redbuds (Cercis canadensis (http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/217/)). So you have Locust Winter, and Redbud Winter happening after the first flush of warm spring days and before Dogwood Winter and Blackberry Winter."

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2410/

Rick
04-01-2010, 02:37 PM
And in the fall we have Indian Summer. I have no idea why it's called that but that's all I've ever heard it called. We'll have several weeks of cool weather followed by a week of very warm weather. Once it's over you can expect a slide into winter.

Ken
04-01-2010, 02:38 PM
And in the fall we have Indian Summer. I have no idea why it's called that but that's all I've ever heard it called. We'll have several weeks of cool weather followed by a week of very warm weather. Once it's over you can expect a slide into winter.

Indian Summer's the only one I've ever heard of. It usually lasts a couple of weeks here.

preachtheWORD
04-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Brother, If you eat 3 acres of wild onions I'll smell you all the way in VA!

I used to chow down on wild onions as a kid - but then my mom wouldn't let me back in the car or in the house until the smell wore off.

crashdive123
04-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Ken's, new forum name, "Ken'eagle"...........:innocent:

Maybe we can get Ken to post to the Wild Crafting database?:innocent:

Sourdough
04-01-2010, 06:51 PM
I tilled up the garden today and it's ready to plant. We still have some cool nights ahead of us and we still have Blackberry Winter to get through. But it's getting close!!!!!

I plowed 5 feet of snow off the upper driveway, using the the Case 450B Dozer............Sadly I don't have the Gonads to plow the steep part with that 7 Ton Ice-skate.:innocent: (I tell myself it is survival, but it is stark raving cowardly terror)

BENESSE
04-01-2010, 08:02 PM
I plowed 5 feet of snow off the upper driveway, using the the Case 450B Dozer............Sadly I don't have the Gonads to plow the steep part with that 7 Ton Ice-skate.:innocent: (I tell myself it is survival, but it is stark raving cowardly terror)

Better stark raving cowardly than a broken something or other. Trust me, you don't want that.

Ken
04-01-2010, 08:09 PM

Better stark raving cowardly than a broken something or other. Trust me, you don't want that.

Yeah! Just ask klkak. :innocent:

BENESSE
04-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Yeah! Just ask klkak. :innocent:

Or you can just ax me...yeah ax, for being stupid.

Ken
04-01-2010, 08:22 PM
Or you can just ax me...yeah ax, for being stupid.

Ski slopes, huh? :innocent:

Ken
04-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Brother, If you eat 3 acres of wild onions I'll smell you all the way in VA!

Face northeast. Smell any garlic? Guess who? :blushing:

BENESSE
04-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Yup, yard sale on the slopes.
Broke-back shoulder.

Sourdough
04-01-2010, 10:23 PM
Broke-back shoulder.

Brokeback Mountain Ski Resort........?

BENESSE
04-06-2010, 07:49 AM
Brokeback Mountain Ski Resort........?

No, but sounds like plausible.

nell67
04-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Are you mending ok,BEE???? I had heard of your accident,but since you had not mentioned it (or maybe I had missed your post) I thought maybe I shouldn't say anything until you did???

Hope all is well my friend!

BENESSE
04-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Are you mending ok,BEE???? I had heard of your accident,but since you had not mentioned it (or maybe I had missed your post) I thought maybe I shouldn't say anything until you did???

Hope all is well my friend!

Thanks for asking Nell, I am doing better than expected.
Didn't want to make a big deal out of it because I was pushing myself out of my comfort zone
(against my better judgment) and I guess I had it coming. Again.
Next time when the little voice says...don't do it, it's not worth it, I'm gonna listen.

2dumb2kwit
04-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Didn't want to make a big deal out of it because I was pushing myself out of my comfort zone
Next time when the little voice says...don't do it, it's not worth it, I'm gonna listen.

Just remember, B......
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6E4Oy6pFKQ

:innocent: LOL

nell67
04-09-2010, 10:42 AM

Glad you are healing BEE,next time,(let's hope there is no next time,LOL) you better share with the family,when you hurt,we hurt!