PDA

View Full Version : Ramps!

rwc1969
03-30-2010, 02:55 PM
First greens of the year for me. A bit on the hot side.

http://s101.photobucket.com/albums/m50/shroomer69/Wild%20edible%20plants/?action=view&current=100_1953.jpg

Rick
03-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Dandelions here. I pulled some this morning.

Camp10
03-30-2010, 06:37 PM
You've got to be kidding me!!?? Mud season has just started, The snowblower is still in front of the lawnmower and I havnt even touched the ATV yet. I am looking forward to the fiddleheads but they are a month away (I would guess)still. Greens already??....:drool::)

Rick
03-30-2010, 07:35 PM
I have three dandelion in my garden that are probable a foot across. I keep the seed heads trimmed off so I don't wind up with a yard full but they they sprout up pretty early. I have a yellow flower on one already.

Badawg
03-30-2010, 07:49 PM
You've got to be kidding me!!?? Mud season has just started, The snowblower is still in front of the lawnmower and I havnt even touched the ATV yet. I am looking forward to the fiddleheads but they are a month away (I would guess)still. Greens already??....:drool::)

I have 4 foot tall nettles and Cheeseweed in the yard, The cheeseweed is starting to bloom...

Camp10
03-30-2010, 07:56 PM
You guys are killing me!!

crashdive123
03-30-2010, 08:39 PM
The tomatoes are doing well. They went in kind of late due to the colder winter.

rwc1969
03-30-2010, 10:30 PM
We've had an early spring and unusually warm March. Headed for the 80's by Friday. I might be pickin morels in a week or two.

I picked some fresh chives the first week or two of March. I guess those were technically my first greens of the season. The guys making syrup are kinda bummed because the maples are budding out and the sap flow is/ was dismal for maNY. It pretty much ended a week or so after I got my sap.

BTW, we have quite a few other greens poppin, I just don't know well enough what they are to eat em.

Canadian-guerilla
03-30-2010, 10:50 PM
garlic mustard is just starting to get a good size

it's everywhere

i was picking single leaves, now i just pull up the whole cllump

your_comforting_company
03-30-2010, 11:25 PM
My wild onions have been sprouting in the yard for some time now. I picked a few today to eat with some roast tomorrow.
Do you eat the ramps in your salads in place of onions? I love to put them in soups when the bulbs get a little bigger. Getting hard to find around here though, with all the herbicides going into folks yards. I have spotted a few that still grow in my own yard, but I'm reluctant to harvest them till after they've gone to seed. Several years ago we ate almost all of them and they are a little slow to come back. Conservation and moderation are sometimes hard rules to live by when it's so delicious!!

rwc1969
03-31-2010, 09:13 AM
I'd use the greens and small ones in salad. I ate the ones in the pic just like you see em, from the bowl as I browsed the web. :) I like cooking the big bulbs with steak, fish, asparagus, etc. or in soup. The ones we get are pretty hot. I dried a bunch and put em in a grinder for garnish.I usually don't pick too many as I'm the only one who really likes em.

I'll have to go check a known spot for garlic mustard and see if it's poppin. I want to try it this year. I haven't found any locally.

your_comforting_company
03-31-2010, 01:19 PM
spicy hot.. sounds like it'd be an excellent addition to some turnips or mustards which I'm trying to get harvested and stored this week between work.
Keepin my eyes peeled! Thanks for the info rwc. I love your posts. you are a great asset to this community :D

rwc1969
03-31-2010, 02:20 PM
THanks YCC. I checked on the garlic mustard and it's up. Two tiny little seed leaves and that's it. :) Thousands of them.

Garlic mustard sprouts in a salad or the like? Is that a possibilty?

your_comforting_company
03-31-2010, 10:43 PM
We had some wild pearl onions with the roast and rice tonight. I would have LOVED to have had some garlic mustard sprouts to toss in with the string beans. You are making me hungry again! take it from possibility to reality and show us your cleaned plate :D