PDA

View Full Version : That time of year-The Place

hunter63
03-30-2010, 01:29 PM
We generally try to get out to the cabin over the winter, but this winter "life stuff" kept getting in the way.
So leaving out in the morning (Wed) to check the "Place" out, and how it wintered.
As we don't have Internet access other than WiFi in town, will be off the inter-web for a while.
Still trying to come up with something???????????

We have done this a couple of times in the past, as a trial Bug Out, a drill.

Supplies/gear/ are/and have been packed, and have actually done it by deciding we were going, than being on the road in 45 min.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8244

This trip is a little more leisurely, but need to check out hunting spots, get permissions, maybe make a couple of contacts, and just get out of the city for a while.
Y'all hang in there................

gryffynklm
03-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Safe travels my friend.

rwc1969
03-30-2010, 02:46 PM
Enjoy and good luck.

Mertell
03-30-2010, 03:25 PM
Godspeed. The weather is nice. Tad windy, tho.
-Mert

your_comforting_company
03-30-2010, 03:32 PM
Be safe and enjoy your stay.
See you soon, friend.

Rick
03-30-2010, 03:35 PM
Drive safe and have a great time. See you in the funny papers.

welderguy
03-30-2010, 06:00 PM
HAve a safe and good trip, see you when your back.

tipacanoe
03-30-2010, 06:13 PM
I'm thinking that the voice of reason, is taking a couple of day's off. Enjoy the time away.

crashdive123
03-30-2010, 06:28 PM
Have fun, stay safe. Don't forget the pictures.

For the www thingie - do you have a cell signal at the cabin? If so, a laptop with an air card?

Camp10
03-30-2010, 06:32 PM
Have a great trip Hunter! I hope the place survived winter ok.

Rick
03-30-2010, 07:35 PM
Oh, yeah. Don't catch anything on fire!!

Winnie
03-31-2010, 05:00 AM
Late as usual. Have a safe trip and enjoy your break.

hunter63
04-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Just checking in, been replacing batteries on most of the rooling stock, came into town for a WiFi connection.
Going well, weather been wonderful, see y'all in a few days.
H63

hunter63
04-06-2010, 04:19 PM
Tues, and it's raining, so at saloon, stealing WiFi.
Remember the battery thread, seems that it must be a preminition, been replacing batteries on every thing.
Later

hunter63
04-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Well, back in the city, have a "thing" to go to tomorrow, so came back today.
Was a good trip, everything pretty much intact, except batteries.
Hated to come back.
Some notes on your BOL/BO V's

I think I had to change out batteries on tractor, one 4 wheeler, (the other will need one also), all the clocks, flash lights, game cameras.
NOTE: If your gear is deployed (stashed/packed/carried), bring spare batteries, or have a non-battery powered back up.

NOTE: mice will eat wires and build nests in air-cleaners/on motors, in sheds, wood piles.
Check and clean before attempting to fire up just about anything.
Also tough on paper towel, and shop rags.............

NOTE: gas doesn't store well, bring fresh, at least to fire up saws, tractors, etc.
Also "Starting Fluid", and spare spark plugs, good bet, you can save your self a lot of time and cussing.

NOTE, Tools, basic, hand tools, non-battery powered, or power.

NOTE: Locks rust up, WD-40, PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench, as MUST have!

NOTE: country Vet's are much more reasonable than city "Pet Health Spas"

NOTE: country contractors, don't be in a hurry.......(just got my estimate and plans back, after a year and a half)

NOTE: along the same lines, country time is different than city time, stuff happens when it happens, not a big deal, but don't get too frustrated by the pace reduction. They live there because they want to.

NOTE: spending time on the porch with the neighbor having a cold one is time well spent!
(Call it a business meeting if you want, planning crops, weather reports, who died, sold property.......You know, all the good stuff.

NOTE: bring fresh dish soap, mouth wash, paper products, and garbage bags.......you tend to assume that you have enough stashed, but freezing and mice will reduce your supply...as well as normal use, and the mentaility that the store will be open 24 hrs a day.....NOT!

Rick
04-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Hunter - that's just about the most down-to-earth honest to goodness stuff I've read in a long time. There really IS a difference between country time and city time.

Two neighbors sitting on a porch.

"George, it looks like your cows are out again."
"Yep."
"Reckon we ought to round 'em up?"
"Nay. It's just Sally."
"She might wander off."
(shrug) "Everyone knows her. Someone will bring her home eventually."

crashdive123
04-09-2010, 07:41 PM
H63 - even with the battery and rodent issues, it sounds like you had a pretty good stay.

Camp10
04-09-2010, 07:48 PM
Great list...I would add chainsaw to it. There are so many trees that didnt make the winter at my camp.... I will have to clean them up my first trip in with the truck.

Glad you had a great time! Sorry you had to go back to the city!

hunter63
04-09-2010, 08:03 PM
[QUOTE=Rick;212469]Hunter - that's just about the most down-to-earth honest to goodness stuff I've read in a long time. There really IS a difference between country time and city time.

Two neighbors sitting on a porch.

"George, it looks like your cows are out again."
"Yep."
"Reckon we ought to round 'em up?"
"Nay. It's just Sally."
"She might wander off."
(shrug) "Everyone knows her. Someone will bring her home eventually."[/QUO

LOL, I have had the neighbors cows on the bottom field on and off for a couple of years now, flood wiped out their fences, and they would show up every once in a while.
I call one of the brothers, and say,
"Ed, I think your cows are either out again, or the deer are really turning black!".......Funny thing, that when I shoot one, the others are dumb enough they justt stand there and look at 'em.
Answer was, "I'll be right over........."

Camp10, yeah I know, three of the chainsaws stay there.
Dump out any old gas, refill with fresh, change the plug, sharpen up the chain, and have at.
Actually, most of the downed trees are the elms that died, mostly punky wood, so just push them out of the field or trail with the loader.